Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jordan12

Why can't scars be removed?

I don't understand why they say that "scars can't be completely removed, only minimized." What is it that makes them permanent? You would think that with all the surgical practices out there...?

they can cut out your scar, but you will be left with another from surgery. depending, you could go from a vad scar, to almost invisible surgery scar.

My understanding: Because scar tissue lacks normal skin appendages it does not have the capacity to regenerate like normal skin. All you can hope for is to create new collagen with better alignment. Stem cell / recell technologies may address this in the future. Excision can reduce scar width, but if it fails (ie widens) the scar will be bigger than before.

I know I've been puzzled about the same thing with all the science research on cloning yet they still can't cure acne or remove the leftover scars...

In my experience excisions did not remove the depressions. They all sunk back down after the healing, so I think once you got a pit, you got it for life. I've spent tens of thousands over the past 10 years and all my scars , even my shallowest, are still there. I'd be suspicious of those who post saying they have been able to dramatically imrpove depressions. If so, maybe their perception of dramatic imrpovement is difeerent from mine, but I doubt it.

well there are dermal fillers and i think stem cell research will yeild hopefully some results.i dont know why acne scar sufferers dont get just as much money as the govt spends for aids research.i mean we arent getting sexual pleasures from acne and acne scarring and it cost us a fortune and we dont even get to take it off our income tax.i mean we get a ripped deal.

From what i have read scars are a natural process of healing although quite unnessessary. Its believed that humans scar because back in cave man times if the wound didn't close quickly, infection and likely death from infection would result.

As its a natural process within the body heaps of different factors would be involved in preventing scarring from happening and not a whole lot of research until recently has gone into preventing scarring. Hence the reason while "scarred for life" is a phrase still used.

Hello peeps, I have recently come across website http://www.jdhealthcare.com/dermatology.html which talks about a Dermatology Hospital can help take care of skin related conditions from acne to psoriasis. I found that very interesting and that's why I would like to have your opinion on that. As you know, i have acne and also scars which are not going away...I would like to know if I can have recourse to Revision of Scars even if I have acne? Or should I treat the acne first?

I am quite confuse and I don't know what to do. I am just fed up with these acne and I want them to go away. I have tried so many things and nothing worked out!!! Do you think that having a revision of scars, a good idea? Are there any risks in doing that ?

A surgeon I once spoke to told me that treating acne scarring is one of the hardest things to do. The scar tissue takes the place of structures in the skin which were once there are now gone and will never return. The depression is caused by the scar falling into this new hole it has created. When you take that on board its not too hard to realise why trying to return something that is permanently lost is not going to happen and scars cannot be removed.

A surgeon I once spoke to told me that treating acne scarring is one of the hardest things to do. The scar tissue takes the place of structures in the skin which were once there are now gone and will never return. The depression is caused by the scar falling into this new hole it has created. When you take that on board its not too hard to realise why trying to return something that is permanently lost is not going to happen and scars cannot be removed.

but then why is it that when you go to sleep and wake up, the scars are almost gone?

When I first wake up in the morning I have like a 98% improvement , you pretty much can't see them. As the day goes by you can see them more and more. I do have rolling scars. Im not sure if all people with rolling scars go through this, or does it depend where the scars are? Mine are right across my jaw line.

I think this could help people if they can find out why it improves over night, then duplicated it with a cream or pill of some sort. Maybe wishful thinking hehe.

I just don't think there is enough money to made to fix acne scars as a stand alone procedure.

Thats why you see it as a by product of cosmetic surgery. All these lasers that come out now is for aging and wrinkles and they try to sell it for acne scars. Im sure one day they will find something that works.

I know some folks will think I'm nuts, but I've been doing at home saline injections.

This upcoming wednesday I'm going back into IPL treaments. I'm thinking the two together, plus at home mini peels will over time show real improvements.

I'm done with my third round of saline injections, & I've noticed significant improvement in a few scars. Especially one right in the middle of my nose. An old icepick, pockmark. It is much more shallow than it was before.

It takes time. I keep a .txt file with my dates in it, & only do them at two week intervals.

Anyone interested can use the forum search feature on saline injections.