Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi guys, i just got my hands on some differin and i wanted to get as much info as possible.

for those of you that have used it..

First off, does it work well?? thats my main concern, also, does it take a long time to kick in..will i break out severly within the first few weeks...and would it benifit me more to use it at night or in the morning. once again im just looking for as much information as possible so i know what to expect.

i really hope this stuff works cause if this doesnt, my last resort is accutaine

Hey there :)

Im glad your using differin, since its one of the main reasons why im clear :)

When i was first prescribed it, it took about a week/2 weeks to see results. I saw improvement in acne, red marks, no new acne appeared (obv one or two, but nothing major)

I also liked the way i was very "water-like" as its a gel and dries in really good. Plus, if you have the odd really sore acne breakout, the gel is really soothing if you kept it in the fridge :)

Also what i like about it is that differin is not one of the medications which cause an "initial breakout" or cause excessive drying or redness.

Though you an only use it at night, or if you want to use it during the day aswell, you must apply at least SPF 25 to the places where you have applied differin.

any more questions? feel free to ask :)

thanks for all the help cpt. dinosaur. well, i guess im just gonna have to wait 2-3 weeks to see if this is the right stuff for me. if not, then i guess its back to the drawing board :(

I just started Differin a week ago. I do think that you can have an initial breakout on this medication, just like the true retinoids. I have only applied it 3 times so far. I started with every other night but noticed some burning after the 2nd application that lasted, so I decided to do it every third night. This seems to be working better for me, so I'm going to do every third night for maybe 2 weeks, then try every other night again for a few weeks. Be sure to apply it VERY sparingly, you don't need much. Just a pea sized amount for your whole face, dab it on your cheeks, chin and forehead and spread it. It seems like hardly anything but it's enough.

I'd just suggest starting slowly. My dermatologist said to start every other night or every third night and work up to every night. I also feel like starting slowly will help with the initial breakout. Your skin will be less irritated and you won't get hit with a huge dosage of the medication all at once. But that's just my theory! They do say that taking an oral antibiotic, or using a topical one in the morning, helps curb the severity of any initial breakout you might have. I've been on a topical antibiotic 8 1/2 weeks (Benzamycin) and an oral one for about 3. So I'm hoping it won't be too bad since my acne is MUCH better than it used to be.

And yes, apply it at night. Cleanse your face with a gentle cleanser then wait 20-30 minutes before applying it. This will reduce irritation. Be sure to wear sunscreen every day and stay out of the sun as much as possible. As for how long it takes to kick in...well I may be crazy, but I felt like I noticed a difference in my skin the day after the first application. I've only applied it 3 times so far but I swear my red marks have improved slightly. And my pimples are not lasting as long. But that could also be this new antibiotic I started a week ago.

Generally though, it takes 6-8 weeks to see improvement with retinoids (although this is true with any acne treatment), with real results somewhere between 3-6 months. Retinoids, especially a gentle one like differin, take a long time to work. If you give up after only 2-3 weeks you will never know if it would have worked for you. You really need to give it a fair, 12 week trial at minimum. I don't think it will get control of your acne by itself though, if it is severe. I think it's good to use in conjunction with a topical or oral antibiotic if you have severe acne, and then maybe on its own for maintenance afterwards. It won't stop the inflammation. It will just help keep pores from clogging, which makes pimples form in the first place. This is why it takes so long to work. It can't get rid of existing clogged pores/pimples, but it will speed up the process at which they form and come to a head, and then are expelled.

I was just prescribed Differin a couple days ago and so far used it 3 nights in a row and my Cheeks are rosy red and irritated...Should I take a day break and use it every other night or do you think everyday should be fine?

And If i do take a day break you think an AHA lotion would irritate it more? And lastly when should I be putting on Differin daily? (After a week of using Differin every other night?)

I would greatly appreciated if someone responded

oh yea I use BP in the morning

I was just prescribed Differin a couple days ago and so far used it 3 nights in a row and my Cheeks are rosy red and irritated...Should I take a day break and use it every other night or do you think everyday should be fine?

And If i do take a day break you think an AHA lotion would irritate it more? And lastly when should I be putting on Differin daily? (After a week of using Differin every other night?)

I would greatly appreciated if someone responded

oh yea I use BP in the morning

thanks a lot cpt dinosaur...It seems that everything I put on my face now burns the hell out of me...even bp and lotion...Should I wait until the irritation goes away or keep on using differin every other night?

Oh yea i forgot to mention that Im taking minocycline at night too.

Thanks

Just wanted to make people aware here that are asking about moisturizers - it states in the product information that you should NOT use any products with Alpha Hydroc. Acid. Please read product inserts before using other products to see if compatability is a problem.

thanks a lot cpt dinosaur...It seems that everything I put on my face now burns the hell out of me...even bp and lotion...Should I wait until the irritation goes away or keep on using differin every other night?

Oh yea i forgot to mention that Im taking minocycline at night too.

Thanks

Thanks a lot dinosaur! You can put lotion after Differin right? I read the info sheet and it didn't say anything about moisturizer...

ahhhh i love differin

its only been a week and a half of using differin at night and duac in the morning and my face is looking the best it has in months. thank god i finally found something that is helping so drasticly. im still getting white heads on my face but im getting less than usual and they fade away within 2 days. since this is helping so far, ive had the inspiration to create a dedicated regimen. im going to start a very strict diet with little or no dairy and a severe drop in sugar.

the only things i need are a good daily face wash bc i usually just use soap...and i also need a sort of spot treatment to reduce whitehead even more...any suggestions????

finally, because of differin and duac i have hope for my face which is something i lost a long time ago

i wish u all luck with differin, i hope it helps you as much as it is for me

ohh and for ne one who is just starting, make sure u use differin or anyother med for that reason every other day a first. after 2 or 3 times you should be able to use it everyday without irritation depending on your skin type of course

ahh what a self asstime booster :))

To existenz618...I use Purpose as my face wash and I LOVE it. I highly recommend it. My dermatologist recommends Cetaphil or Purpose. I personally don't like Cetaphil's facial cleanser, but I like their other products. I wouldn't recommend using any spot treatments. The differin and DUAC are enough. Adding anything else will irritate your skin.

I dislike Differin very much. I have, I believe, Mild acne. Acne scars outweight the acne on my face. I used Differin at Night and in the morning I used Duac Topical gel. Differin and Duac did not help me one bit. My acne has increased.

I dislike Differin very much. I have, I believe, Mild acne. Acne scars outweight the acne on my face. I used Differin at Night and in the morning I used Duac Topical gel. Differin and Duac did not help me one bit. My acne has increased.

It took me a good 5 to 6 months of using Differin 0.1 to get really cleared up skin so in some cases it make take as long as that to get the results you're looking for. All I can say is that this is the only topical med that really worked well for me by calming down redness and irritation and getting the acne to change from the deep cystic type to white heads to clearer skin. I'm using 0.3 now to see if that helps even more. Differin didn't completely get rid of my acne (as I still experience occassional break outs) but it sure as heck improved it dramastically.

Guest missyjean130

I was just put on differin a month ago. I seem to be less inflammed, which is good, but I am not yet experiencing a reduction in the number of pimples. I think I am too early into the treatment :)

I use it at night and it is coupled with an antibiotic( clindamycin phosphate) which I use in the morning.

Looks promising so far...I get badly inflammed and it has reduced it.

ive been using for 2 weeks now, the number of pimples has significatly reduced and after popping a pimple it seems to go away a lot quicker. now ive been getting a few red inflamed spots on my face, there arent many but they are a little itchy and annoying. i guess this is the begining side effect of differin and duac on my skin. anyone know a good way to get rid of them or at least make them a little less noticeable??

Will differin clear up red marks and bumps? I can feel the bumps rising after using differin, THen i use BP to zap it :D

Guest missyjean130

Hey, does anyone know if using acid glycolic acid face wash affects the ABSORPTION of the product? The product insert said not to use that kind of stuff....but I didn't know if it was beause it's an added irriation or if it stops the absortion of the medication.

Also in another thread it said not use moisturizer BEFORE differin. Does that Mean even if you wait for the moisturizer to absorp THEN put on differin that none of my medication is really absorbing? The product insert said it was okay to use it...but that's it...not very detailed...