Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
livelaughlove

livelaughlove's Accutane log...Off to ROUND TWO.

This is livelaughlove on, posting her first blog. I'm starting accutane after a 5 year battle with acne. My acne consists of white heads, pustules, and blackheads on my nose. My forehead is completely covered with pustules and my cheeks are starting to get the same way. For my first few years I didn't go to a dermatologist because it wasn't that bad. Then about 2 years in my run it got terrible, so I went to a dermatologist. He gave me everything he could and finally one product ( will list below later) worked a bit and cleared up the inflammatory part. Slowly but surely my acne is getting back to the way it used to be 2 years ago, and my dermatologist finally convinced me to go on Accutane. I figure the risks outlaw the benefit, clear skin. I've often gotten asked by peers if I ever wash my face, If I use proactiv, and have been constantly called pizza face, or known as the one with the bad skin. I live in a nice area where everyone can afford dermatologists and have great clear skin, so I usually stand out. I'm ready for my appointment on July 12th, where I will be given the script, taken blood, and filled my prescription. I can't wait for that day. But while I'm here I'll give you a brief look into the products i've tried:

(from early use to most present use)

-Over-the-Counter Meds, everything you can think of(Neutrogena, Clean and Clear, Boire, clinique, etc.)

-Klaron

-Differen Gel

-Differen Lotion

-Benza Clin

-Tazorac Gel

-Tazorac Lotion

-Antibiotics which include:

-Minocycline(This is the product that made my skin get drastically better for about four months, then my skin ruptured back to the way it was before I started)

-Doxycycline

-Tetracycline

But I do have a few questions for former accutane users, I've seen such a wide arrange of side effects during the course of accutane, I was just wondering if the long term effects are common, esp. hair loss. I was just kinda worried about possible hair loss, or long-term effects.

Hey there -

I'm on month 3 of Accutane (Sotret) and love the results so far. I'm on low dose 20mg per day. I think you will too.

Here's some things that have worked for me and that I've read. First, start Accutane (if possible) after you have your worst breakouts, as generally when you start taking it, it will "flare" the acne that you have. Depending on your weight, start with lower dose and work up. Generally the prescribing method of Accutane is 1mg per KG of weight. However, most Derm's will start like at .5mg per KG of weight the first month or two. This helps ward off bad initial breakouts and gets your body used to the medicine. I'm small (100lbs) and my Derm. started me at 10mg month one and 20mg month two and three. Next month, I will try 30mg.

Side effects, yes, there are some and they differ person to person. The first week I had headaches and some minor joint/bone pain. It wasn't bad and went away. My Derm. said you can take occassional Advil for pain. My face was more oily week one (sebum starting to push out) and by week two started to get a little more dry. End of month one less oil, blackheads on nose more dark. Month two blackheads on nose gone, skin smoother, no or very little acne at all. Occassionally, you may get moody, I do, however, the results and lessening of acne make me feel SOOO much better. Also, ask your Derm. if he/she prefers Accutane (name brand) or generic. Some Derm's will tell you to take the name brand as all the studies have been done on it. My Derm. strongly recommends brand (Roche) or Sotret (generic) only. I have Sotret (my insurance didn't cover brand) and I didn't have a "initial breakout". My acne slightly flared the first week or two, and has gotten better ever since. Honest, I love this stuff!!! My Derm. said that if I experience hair loss then the dosage may be too high for my body, so far I haven't had that problem. So if you do, then you will want to talk about the dosage. Your face, hair, eyes, skin, etc. will become drier. Moisterise and be gentle to your skin. Don't use BP or harsh cleansers - only gentle stuff or your face will get redder and more sensitive. SPF 30 (oil free) during day as your skin is sun-sensitive on Accutane. Wash your hair less and condition it more. You won't get really dry until Accutane starts kicking in, so it's not like the first week or anything.

Hope this helps. Take it slow and be patient. Have supportive people around you. You will love the results in no time.

Good luck,

Yvette

This is livelaughlove on, posting her first blog. I'm starting accutane after a 5 year battle with acne. My acne consists of white heads, pustules, and blackheads on my nose. My forehead is completely covered with pustules and my cheeks are starting to get the same way. For my first few years I didn't go to a dermatologist because it wasn't that bad. Then about 2 years in my run it got terrible, so I went to a dermatologist. He gave me everything he could and finally one product ( will list below later) worked a bit and cleared up the inflammatory part. Slowly but surely my acne is getting back to the way it used to be 2 years ago, and my dermatologist finally convinced me to go on Accutane. I figure the risks outlaw the benefit, clear skin. I've often gotten asked by peers if I ever wash my face, If I use proactiv, and have been constantly called pizza face, or known as the one with the bad skin. I live in a nice area where everyone can afford dermatologists and have great clear skin, so I usually stand out. I'm ready for my appointment on July 12th, where I will be given the script, taken blood, and filled my prescription. I can't wait for that day. But while I'm here I'll give you a brief look into the products i've tried:

(from early use to most present use)

-Over-the-Counter Meds, everything you can think of(Neutrogena, Clean and Clear, Boire, clinique, etc.)

-Klaron

-Differen Gel

-Differen Lotion

-Benza Clin

-Tazorac Gel

-Tazorac Lotion

-Antibiotics which include:

-Minocycline(This is the product that made my skin get drastically better for about four months, then my skin ruptured back to the way it was before I started)

-Doxycycline

-Tetracycline

But I do have a few questions for former accutane users, I've seen such a wide arrange of side effects during the course of accutane, I was just wondering if the long term effects are common, esp. hair loss. I was just kinda worried about possible hair loss, or long-term effects.

Thanks, Yvette2, about the possible hair loss and about how you can lower your dosage. I'll ask my derm about that if i experience hair loss. Thanks again!!

Oh and also, anyone have any good recommendations for good lip moisturizers, because I know when i start I'll need some because my skin is already kinda dry to begin with from the current topicals and antibiotics i am using. So yeah, just leave some recommendations here if you would like, I'd appreciate it.

-livelaughlove

I put on a thick layer of Aquaphor each night, and it's still there in the morning no matter how long I sleep. The stuff is great, but it's really shiny so I don't wear it during the day. Instead I use Carmex. Ask your derm for the free samples of Aquaphor each time you go in - my derm gave me 4 tubes one time and that has lasted me two months. :)

Hey there -

You're welcome for the information. Say for example your Derm. wants to start you at 20mg for the first month. Again, starting low, and working up I think is a good idea. You want to see how you and your skin handle the medicine. I weight 45 kg, so normally the prescribing amount is 45mg day (1mg per kg of weight). My Derm. says it's good to start low and go from there. So, again .5 mg for month one is cool. Less side effects too. If all goes great, then see if your Derm. wants to up the dose in month two or three. If you go to 30 or 40 and it's working for you and side effects aren't bad, then you can decide whether that's a good dose for you or upping a bit more. I stress though, I've read posts that Derm's have prescribed over 1mg per KG (like closer to 2mg per KG) and then folks are getting Rosacea. You don't want a permanent red or flushing face. Accutane can cause permanent flushing and redness in higher doses. More side effects too. Please be careful. Your ending cummulative dosage should be around 120mg per KG of weight. So for me at 45kg, I should have a cummulative end of treatment dosage of 5,400 mg of Accutane taken. Therefore, I've taken 300mg month one, 600 month two and 3, will take 900 month 4-7. That will give me about 5,100 which is close to what I need. I may take another month of 600 (month 8) to get where I need. You can see how it goes and play with the numbers to see what works for you and what your Derm. suggests too.

Good luck.

Yvette

Thanks for the advice once again monochromatic, and yvette2. Im starting accutane tommorow, i'm nervous but at the same time can't wait to finally have clear skin!

Well, I officially start Accutane tommorow. I had to get blood work done and have that verified by a lab before i could get my script filled. Oh well, well im anticipating starting! Positive attitude that this will finally work!

Well, I officially start Accutane tommorow. I had to get blood work done and have that verified by a lab before i could get my script filled. Oh well, well im anticipating starting! Positive attitude that this will finally work!

Thanks wynne for the encouragement! I'm also glad to know you didn't have any lasting effects, that reassures me. I'll make sure I drink a lot of water, and i will try burts bee's if aquaphor doesnt work well for me. I'm going to go pick up my perscription now, I cannot wait!

To any other interested readers-I will try to update this daily/weekly throughout my journey so i'll keep you posted!

Good luck to anyone else just starting, maybe we can compare progress!

Goodluck and congratulations on starting your accutane journey.

I have been on accutane for just over a month and have no bad side effects.

Wishing you all the best.

Kel :)

I literally just took my first pill! Everything worked out from earlier today and I'm so excited. I obviously have no side effects yet, woohoo, yipiee!!! :wiggle::blush::P:dance::clap::D

ps. Thanks kelsbels! I'm thinking positive for no bad side effects like you!

Day 6--

Skin- Everything looking the same. I think i have a large pustule right above my lip, though :wall:

Side Effects- Cracked Lip in the corner! Dry skin, mouth nothing too serious!

juls1221-Thanks for stopping by, yeah the cracked lip at the corner is annoying because it looks like a cold sore, haha, and hurts. Hope the aquaphor works fast! And thanks for the encouraging words! Good luck with your treatment too!

Day 7--

Skin-2 new small pustules but that's it. :think:

Side Effects-Dry nose, mouth, cracked lip. My nose is itchy at the bottom too, weird.

Oh, and I switched moisturizers to Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. It kind of feels greasy, oh well.

Thanks tammy36 for stopping by, yep its looking good. Good luck with your treatment too!

Day 8--

Skin-Looking better! No new breakouts! [knocks on wood]

Side Effects-Cracked lip is healing! Dry mouth! Dry Lips!

I'm feeling great today. Both my skin and side effects are better, and i'm just so happy. Before I had severe acne i was known as the "happy girl". I love life, acne is just giving me a reason to fight for it. Anyways, I got two compliments today about how much better my skin looks, AND i got two compliments about my eyes and eye lashes, saying I have beautiful bluish-green eyes, and long lashes :D:D:D:D

Maybe now people won't look at my acne and look at my other features on my face!

glad to hear youre doing well with no bad effects......and i agree with what you say about people looking at you without looking at our acne.....oh it will all be so worth it at the end...

take care

tammy

Day 9--

Skin-Like 3 new pimples, small, not noticable. Old breakouts are healing!

Side Effects-Dry Eyes, Dry Mouth, still have a cracked corner of lip :wall:

And again, thanks for the comment tammy. I'm glad someone understands how i feel!!!

I know the benefits that can accrue from accutane, but a few warnings seems appropriate:

NOT ALL OF THE SIDE EFFECTS GO AWAY!

I know that I seem to be a bit of a minority, but I am far from alone. Accutane left me with permanently dry eyes, which are resulting in chronic pain. I developed dry eyes while on Accutane (which did clear up my acne), and was told they would pass when I stopped. But it didn't. I'm now a year out and desperately searching for a treatment for dry eyes that works well.

I've spoken to several opthomologists, all of whom have seen the same result from accutane on many occasions, and I also have a friend who suffered the same problem. I'm not saying that accutane doesn't work, but be warned. If your eyes start to feel at all weird (feel gritty or sandy, get tired reading, etc) talk to your dermatologist and/or an opthomologist.

(By the way, if anyone has any advice for accutane specific treatments of dry eyes, please let me know -- [email protected] )

Day 10--

Skin-Same, a little more inflamed though, and more VISIBLE pores. jkdashfasjkhfadjkhfka!

Side Effects-Dry eyes only lasted yesterday, otherwise dry lips! that's it!