Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spoofy

cleanser + moisturizer runing my skin - red areas

This is really annoying me - ever since I started using cetaphyl cleanser and moisturizer I'm getting red areas around my nose and between my eyes.

If I stop using them, and not washing my face (a few times I didn't shower for a day, slept out of house, etc) - the next day my skin looks soo much better, but if I keep it for another day it will flake and itch like hell.

I kept going with them since I have minimal breakouts ever since I started using them ... though it's just silly I have red areas instead of pimples now. (not as ugly but still so silly)

I'm not sure if it's the moisturizer or the cleanser. (I don't use BP because those two products are enough to keep my acne at bay)

I know cetaphyl cleanser dries the face up and the moisturizer is known to irritate and cause the red areas, I'd love to get any suggestions of what's causing it so I could replace it.

I'm also not sure to which products to switch to as there isn't much selection in australia either.

Cetaphil really doesnt take off dead skin cells. Just use a washcloth or cotton pad to wipe off the cetaphil after you rubbed it around. You probably wont need to use the moisturizer after this.

Cetaphil really doesnt take off dead skin cells. Just use a washcloth or cotton pad to wipe off the cetaphil after you rubbed it around. You probably wont need to use the moisturizer after this.

You could be like me. My dad and I are both allergic to cetaphil. It makes our faces really red and it causes us to have a huge breakout

Ye might be something related, I switched mosturizers (to the ones I use as an aftershave balm) the last few days and it only gotten worse (you have no idea how bad it is now), so it might be the cleanser and not he mosturizer.

I heard cetaphyl cleanser dries the skin, so that might be it.

I'll stop using it and continue with the mosturizer for the next day and if it improves I'll get a different cleanser probably.

By Cetaphil i mean the cleanser. Use it with a washcloth and see how it is after that. Like put the Cetaphil on and then wipe it off with a small towel or cotton pad. This should get rid of and help the dry/flakey skin.

Well, the redness is what most troubling me - no flakiness/dryness after I used the mosturizer. (but it flakiness/dryness appears when I skip mosturizer)

I understand why what you do will help, as rinsing my face with water usually irritates it (even before I started using cetaphyl) - but did you encounter any redness and this method helped ?

Today my skin looks like I scraped sandpaper over it - very hard to overlook, but I have to remain optimist and remind myself I'm experimenting here.

Tonight I'll skip the cleanser and only wash my face gently and apply a mosturizer at night.

Hopefully if it gets better tommorow, I'll get a different cleanser and hope it will be better than the cetaphyl.

Perhaps Cetaphil just isn't for your skin. I know Cetaphil is supposed to be very gentle, but for a select few, it irritates their skin. Also, don't use the moisturizing lotion on your face - I mean, it's safe to use, but the downside is that your skin usually gets very oily or shiny from it, since it is a thick moisturizer. And given your current condition, it seems Cetaphil's products are doing more harm than good.

Wish you luck.

Perhaps Cetaphil just isn't for your skin. I know Cetaphil is supposed to be very gentle, but for a select few, it irritates their skin. Also, don't use the moisturizing lotion on your face - I mean, it's safe to use, but the downside is that your skin usually gets very oily or shiny from it, since it is a thick moisturizer. And given your current condition, it seems Cetaphil's products are doing more harm than good.

Wish you luck.

If I were you, I'd switch to an organic product. The only line I use is called Suki Naturals which I purchase at a whole foods /organic food market here in my area. You can read up on the products by searching google. I use the line for acne/sensitive/rocesea prone skin and I love it. I suggest you purchase the cleansing lotion and use that instead of the cetaphil. If you need a moisturizer, I swear by the Suki complexion brightening cream. VERY expensive but it's been worth every penny for me to clear up old red marks and it doesn't leave my skin red or irritated. I do know that you can purchase a little "trial kit" of the sensitive line for about $23 which will contain most products except for the complexion brightening cream - but it will have the velvet face cream which is another moisturizer.

The moisturizer is probably what is making you red. Moisturizer only mask the problem of dry/flakey skin and only makes it worse. If you have oily skin or you use a moisturizer, dead skin cells will not be able to come off properly because its being stuck on by the moisturizer/oil. Try using the washcloth and letting your skin breathe. You wont need moisturizer after this.

The moisturizer is probably what is making you red. Moisturizer only mask the problem of dry/flakey skin and only makes it worse. If you have oily skin or you use a moisturizer, dead skin cells will not be able to come off properly because its being stuck on by the moisturizer/oil. Try using the washcloth and letting your skin breathe. You wont need moisturizer after this.

Only using the mosturizer last night simply didn't help.

ballaballa: So you suggest applying cetaphyl on the dry skin (after a shower or such), and washing off with cotton balls or washcloth ?

One thing I'm worried about is that not using the mosturizer will make my skin itch like hell - and that means that at night, I will itch it instinctivally.

Other thing I'm worried about is I have a bad reaction to one of the cetaphyl ingrediants.

When I did use the cleanser and mosturizer the redness was still present, but was about 30% more desaturated than what it is now.

It might be that I just have a bad dryness condition, and the cleanser/mosturizer are what keeping it on bay. (though I'll have no clue why skipping a day after a week of using them, makes the redness almost go away for that day)

Ragdollcassie: I went around brisbane, and could barely find any products except for cetaphyl, neutragena and a couple of others.

I assume that "kit" is for women, but I'm just a guy whose skin looks like he has a big red rash on his face.

Thanks for the comment so far.

I decided to start writing a log of things and taking pictures of myself daily.

I think it's best I'll go back to the cetaphyl cleanser/mosturizing solution until the redness reduces to normal again, and only then try new things - as my face never looked as bad as it is now, and I also started having acne again.

The redness is a bit more desaturated now, but the improvement is very very slow, is like ballaballa mentioned, it's just trapped dead skin - although I have some flakiness which suggests some of it sheds, which is a good thing I guess.

What you're saying makes sense to me, but I just won't be able to handle the itchiness if I skip mosturizing - and even if I could during the day, I'll just scratch it during the night when insticts take control - you know what I mean, what could I do ?

Ragdollcassie: Thanks for the link, I'll look it up if I can find it in my area, and other organic skincare products.

I had the same thing with my hair, it reacted badly to shampoos and conditioners, until I switched to the australian natures organics - hair is less frizzly, smells good, at only 2$ a bottle :P

I've never used Cetaphil cleanser, but my skin reacted very badly to the moisturizer: It turned bright red, itched, and burned everywhere the moisturizer touched. I found that I reacted this way to all the moisturizers I tried, but not to as great of an extent as Cetaphil. I ended up using a combo of jojoba oil and aloe vera gel.

I used Purpose bar cleanser with this for awhile, but was still a little irritated, albeit to a lesser extent. I switched to Dan's cleanser and the irritation is gone.

So to recap, my best combo has been Dan's cleanser+aloe vera gel+jojoba oil. I think if you can't get Dan's cleanser, Purpose liquid cleanser might be a safe bet.

The redness is a bit more desaturated now, but the improvement is very very slow, is like ballaballa mentioned, it's just trapped dead skin - although I have some flakiness which suggests some of it sheds, which is a good thing I guess.

What you're saying makes sense to me, but I just won't be able to handle the itchiness if I skip mosturizing - and even if I could during the day, I'll just scratch it during the night when insticts take control - you know what I mean, what could I do ?

Ragdollcassie: Thanks for the link, I'll look it up if I can find it in my area, and other organic skincare products.

I had the same thing with my hair, it reacted badly to shampoos and conditioners, until I switched to the australian natures organics - hair is less frizzly, smells good, at only 2$ a bottle :P

Thanks everyone for your comments.

* After about 5 days of getting back to the cetaphyl cleanser,mosturizer combo the redness has been reduced to mild levels.

* The initial severe redness was caused because I used the loreal hydrating lotion for sensitive skin - my skin reacted badly to it and cetaphyl probably has a similiar ingrediant in a smaller dose.

* I've noticed my sunscreen has a matte effect, which is probably why my skin was less red after a day of skipping shower.

* I will keep using this cetaphyl regime until I notice my skin condition doesn't change, from my experience it will probably have redness here and there. (if it's not red, well lucky me)

At which point I'll try following on Ragdollcassie and ballaballa suggestions - neutregena products and organic ones are plenty here and should provide good alternatives to try.

* I also didn't notice any bad reaction to foods so far, like rosacea sufferers have.

It has been a few weeks since then.

I had about 2 redness cases, and now on my third one.

I've tried switching to different cleansers/mosturizers, neutragena cleanser feel better on my skin - though their mosturizer doesn't seem to work well so far.

I have ruled out foods, alcohol and roscea.

I have also made an appointment to a derm, but it will take 1.5 month for the nearest appointment, damn ! (am trying to find a different derm meanwhile)

It is not getting better, but rather it's getting worse and this red dry patches are covering more skin. (my cellphone camera does no justice to this, let's say I've never seen anyone outside with as bad condition as me)

I haven't tried organic products yet, but I have a feeling I have some sort of allergic rash and isn't linked to the products I used on my face.