Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asystole

Is anyone on meds for anxiety?

Horny psych ward guys = very, very scary. Our doors didn't lock unless the staff locked them. The guy across the pod from me gave me some very explicit visuals of what he'd like to do to me. Big guy. Manic guy. (Psychotic guy. Long story, but he thought I was some kind of sexy Russian spy, like, from a James Bond movie.)

Nobody peed on my floor, though. Now I'm feeling quite lucky. :) Thanks. ;)

lol oh man was i pissed about the guy who peed on the floor after the fact. it was an old guy too with senile dementia but violent as hell so they wouldn't put him in an elderly care facility because he was batshit nuts, he spent his days trying to break down the door screaming some idiot locked it. He could never remember he was on a locked ward.

the worst part i think were the prison guys who stole food if you weren't fast enough getting to the dining area. everyone stole from everyone and you could always spot the guys just out of detention because they didn't stop eating to breathe and then stole from any spare food (even tho our names were on it) and stuffed it down their shirts. I thought to pick a fight with one of them but thought better of it. i had no clue what he was in for and i wasn't sure if my crazy out-did his crazy. On the whole thats kindof how the pecking order went, if you were the crazier one you got more respect. Oddly enough as i was the most suicidal and unstable i entered into the pecking order pretty high up also probably helps that i'm young and female. Status is so important its like being a zoo animal. Most of the people on ward were sedated or manic so by default i was more challenging. The number of patients who wanted to fix me or offer me jobs with made up companies they were going to start was so sad....everyone thought when they got out they'd be sitting rich in some cosy job. I guess thats mania for you.

i may go into another residential facility that looks semi-okay. i'm going to talk it over with my psych. its more of a "girl interrupted" type scene i think tho i doubt its all women so i'll probably run into the same problem but its technically more of a rehab thingy but it caters to mental health. Its in the middle of nowhere but i may qualify for a semi-private room. it would be 30 days at least and pretty intense. You can't go anywhere so your're stuck but maybe its for the best lest i go off my bean and do some of the same things i usually do when i'm not quite right like take nice long walks at 12am alone in the dark and talk to myself. ya. that goes over REAL well but hey, nobody ever messes with me. lol

but ya. long rant short. i guess i'm in this for awhile. shit

I have anxiety that could warrant a perscription, but I have only ever gotten them through not-so-legal means. They work like a charm; I feel completely at ease and relaxed, even around a bunch of people.

Oh wow this thread's still alive.

I'm still trundling along on Citalopram (Celexa) now at 40mg. Thanks to NHS waiting lists (though I guess I can't complain; it's free), i'm looking at a 8 month or longer waiting time to see any form of psychiatrist or psychologist.

Basically i've not been doing great on this med, it's helped my anxiety but I still get some, and it's not helped with the depression. And now I can't really sleep too well in addition to all of that, and lost a girlfriend because I couldn't leave the house sometimes. But the doctor I saw wouldn't change the medication (even though I've been on it for 6 weeks and its effects are already showing), wouldn't give me anything else for the depression, and wouldn't give me any sleep aids.

So here I am with the number for a local counselling place written on the back of an old prescription, and getting high on DXM.

Thanks, NHS.

just so you know celexa has been known in some cases to contribute to anxiety. in fact its specifically NOT perscribed to bipolar patients as of all the SSRI' it's most likely to have the highest stimulant effect and send them into rapid cycle mania.

not to say you're bipolar but theres some logic in that clexa may cause an increase in anxiety.

check out http://www.crazymeds.org and check out some of your options. Maybe changing your antideprssant could solve some of this. I know Effexor made me super anxious.

I have definitely been needing them lately. And, it is due to the current state of my skin. I have a panic attack when I look in the mirror almost every morning. Drugs are helping me be at work.

Because acne is exacerbated by stress, does anyone think an anti-depressent or anti-anxiety drug can actually help the state of skin???

I have definitely been needing them lately. And, it is due to the current state of my skin. I have a panic attack when I look in the mirror almost every morning. Drugs are helping me be at work.

Because acne is exacerbated by stress, does anyone think an anti-depressent or anti-anxiety drug can actually help the state of skin???

first of all, the fact that acne is exacberated by stress is controversal so don't be fooled. if that were true i should have a face full but i'm clear, its hormonally based so if it messes with your hormones enough then you may have complicatons but thats extreme long term stress. If you're on anything like minocycline then that will counteract it.

there is sadly no anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drug that can help the skin. the only thing they can do is make you care a little less about it.

tho be careful. many doctors perscribe wonderful glorious benzos for panic attacks. DO NOT TAKE THESE LIKE ITS A DAILY DRUG. addiction usually can happen in about over 2 weeks and it is the hardest of all addictions to beat (according the the addictions and recovery centers) they acutally recommend benzo addicts who are also heroin addicts not kick the heroin rght away because the benzo one is more servere O_O i unfortunately know first hand alllll about that. i don't wish it on you!

update on me. i'm currently taking seroquel, wellbutrin, adderall and clonazepam and am "semi' okay which is better than i was so hey, theres hope.

I took Lexapro, but stopped when I decided to get pregnant. My GP moved and left my high and dry... my OBGYN told me you are supposed to have specific goals and once you reach them they are to step you off the medication. He said it isn't intended to be taken forever and my regular Doc. should have referred me to someone else for help with my anxiety.

The benzodiazapines are the only class of psych meds that are any fun at all. Well, they do start to suck when you develop a tolerance, but they're nice for a while. Everything else just numbed me to oblivion or made me agitated without causing any pleasure at all. If it doesn't stimulate GABA or dopamine, it's pretty much worthless to me. Serotonin is overrated. I'm not too fussed by norepinephrine either :P and all the antipsychotics/mood stabilizers decrease dopamine, which is the last fucking thing you want.

The benzodiazapines are the only class of psych meds that are any fun at all. Well, they do start to suck when you develop a tolerance, but they're nice for a while. Everything else just numbed me to oblivion or made me agitated without causing any pleasure at all. If it doesn't stimulate GABA or dopamine, it's pretty much worthless to me. Serotonin is overrated. I'm not too fussed by norepinephrine either :P and all the antipsychotics/mood stabilizers decrease dopamine, which is the last fucking thing you want.

yep. i pretty much agree with everything said here.

tho seroquel can be pretty amusing when you're in that half asleep drugged up feeling but then again i am amused easily :P

yep. i pretty much agree with everything said here.

tho seroquel can be pretty amusing when you're in that half asleep drugged up feeling but then again i am amused easily :P

Yeah, it seems like the tolerability of the psych drug is inversely proportional to how willing psychiatrists are to prescribe it. Antipsychotics, which are like the least pleasant class of drugs known to man in terms of side effects, they practically force upon you, yet you have to beg to get a little Ativan. The rationale being that they are addictive and the other classes of psych meds are not, but that probably has as much to do with the fact that they work quickly and effectively with relatively few side-effects as it does physiological dependency...you'd see the same up or down-regulation of other types of receptors...e.g. dopamine, serotonin...in non-anxiolytic psych meds. And antipsychotics/antidepressants can produce rebound psychosis/depression, just like anxyiolitics produce rebound anxiety. But because people don't actually seem to enjoy antipsychotics/antidepressants much while they're on them (not saying they don't alleviate symptoms, they just don't usually cause much general well-being) they seem much more willing to prescribe them. It seems sometimes like the goal of psychiatrists is to cure people's depression as well as they can without actually making them happy :P

I have mild case of OCD and have GAD, I also had a nervous breakdown this year and psychological pain is always worse, but hey, what you gonna do right?

Trying to kill you off.... Thats cute.

I took Focalin, Cymbalta, and something else, but because I am an anxious person I am afraid of medication. Every time I took something I would worry myself into a panic attack. I was also wondering how much of a part ACNE has in all of this, but I think my problems will still be there after the ACNE is gone.

Trying to kill you off.... Thats cute.

I took Focalin, Cymbalta, and something else, but because I am an anxious person I am afraid of medication. Every time I took something I would worry myself into a panic attack. I was also wondering how much of a part ACNE has in all of this, but I think my problems will still be there after the ACNE is gone.

you're probably right i'm afraid. i'm clear and guess what? i'm probably worse then ever psychologically. when you're sick you're sick. best advice? get a good therapist to go along with the meds

good luck and stay well okay?