Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asystole

Is anyone on meds for anxiety?

I have recently been put on Inderal for anxiety and one of the other meds I am on, my doctor told me I could cut in half because I feel that is the cause of my weight gain.

No, even though I have considered it for my social anxiety.I've been such a paranoid freak for a couple of years now. I had a breakdown in the car today at the thought of a job interview. I've become very reclusive and private. I worry about really stupid things that people could judge me/hate me for. I cannot stand it anymore.

I don't really want to rush to the meds though. I want to see if I can find a way to cope with it myself first.

My second disorder, and the most debilitating is social anxiety disorder...Paranoid freak describes it well. At one point, I would stay in my apartment for up to 3 weeks at a time, couldn't even take my trash downstairs and outside. Look into Cognitive Behavior Therapy, it is super effective for SAD. New York is one of the states where there are many highly trained therapists to get it under control quickly. The top researcher in the country for SAD is at Temple University in Philadelphia, Dr. Heimberg. http://www.temple.edu/psychology/FacultyWe...g/heimberg.html

That's his website, the links on the left contain a ton of info on anxiety disorders and the best treatments for them.

Within about two weeks of CBT, I was going to class every day and within about a month and a half I was on a job interview and a full time job over the summer, with no missed days. Previously, I hadn't had a job in 14 years and usually ended up withdrawing from at least half of my classes because I was absent so often. I'd stay away from meds until you try other things, especially for SAD they really should be a very last resort...good luck!

This is a great site to locate a Cog. Behavior Therapist in your area

http://www.abct.org/members/Directory/Find_A_Therapist.cfm

Thanks! :) That's very interesting, I'm definitely going to look into it! It would be nice to find something that finally works.

I take Ativan, because I freak over needles. That comes out to about 2 mg every couple months. Oddly, Adderall has had a huge anti-anxiety effect on me. The world isn't so overwhelming all the time.

I don't believe acne has any effect on my mental health issues.

Note: Suicide is not easily preventable. Without meds, it is necessary to kill myself, because I suck the life out of the world. I'm killing every other living thing through my mere existence. The only moral thing I can do is die. Also, it doesn't help when the Voice starts taking over my body and doing the job for me . . . And shows me what hell on earth really looks like . . . and convinces me I deserve worse . . . I believe these things with 100% sincerity, because without meds, they make up my entire existence and reality no longer exists. If psych meds had never been invented, suicide (for me, at least) would be the only justifiable and humane solution.

Okay, I'm done creeping everyone out now.

I take Ativan, because I freak over needles. That comes out to about 2 mg every couple months. Oddly, Adderall has had a huge anti-anxiety effect on me. The world isn't so overwhelming all the time.

Note: Suicide is not easily preventable. Without meds, it is necessary to kill myself, because I suck the life out of the world. I'm killing every other living thing through my mere existence. The only moral thing I can do is die. Also, it doesn't help when the Voice starts taking over my body and doing the job for me . . . And shows me what hell on earth really looks like . . . and convinces me I deserve worse . . . I believe these things with 100% sincerity, because without meds, they make up my entire existence and reality no longer exists. If psych meds had never been invented, suicide (for me, at least) would be the only justifiable and humane solution.

2mg every couple of months...i go throught 3mg of klonopin PER DAY. holy shit!

adderall really helped me too but the comedown was pretty intense i'm still fighting for them to put it in my cocktail but we'll have to wait and see as they're paranoid about antidepressants let alone anything else!

i know what the Voice is , it tells me i need to hurt more, and more and more and then some more. the only thing i've never been able to do is suicide but i have definetely mastered the art of self inflicted pain. not something i'm at all proud of when i'm in my "down" phase.

2mg every couple of months...i go throught 3mg of klonopin PER DAY. holy shit!

Yeah, 2 mg a pop, and I don't get stuck much. Only lithium levels, 1 lithium level+checking if my thyroid still forgives me, 1 pre-surgical blood test, and 1 tb test for my volunteer job in a hospital. (I just got a bill for the last year of blood tests.) I would die if I had to use Ativan every day. I hate how it feels. Proof there is a god: I don't have diabetes.

adderall really helped me too but the comedown was pretty intense i'm still fighting for them to put it in my cocktail but we'll have to wait and see as they're paranoid about antidepressants let alone anything else!

Before I went on it I had to see a gp to check out my heart. (We had a history already.) He tried to keep me from being on it for a completely benign heart condition. He was all suprised when I was willing to see a cardiologist just so I could try it . . . (I'd already failed Strattera, which left . . . drumroll . . . stimulants.)

I just wanted to add that I really, really hate that you know what I'm talking about, Christina. You shouldn't have to. :comfort: Nobody should.

I suspect I should be on meds for anxiety. Can I get them from a regular MD or do I have to see a psychologist/psychiatrist?

Does anyone here use homeopathic remedies? What are they and how are they working for you?

aw Im on anti d's, but my doc reduced them on Monday :dance:

I used to be on a fairly high dose and I was on Lexotan too for anxiety.

Every once in a blue moon now, I have to take a lexotan and man it knocks me for six, I go so feckin tranquil its amazing.

I forgot to take my meds today, I feel realy nausous. :sick:

A general MD can prescribe them. They can also refer you to a psychiatrist who can prescribe them.

General MDs also have different comfort levels about which meds to prescribe you. Example: For a more general anxiety problem, they could prescribe an SSRI, like Paxil, Zoloft, or Prozac, which aren't "addictive". If you're having panic attacks, they might want to prescribe a benzodiazepine, like Ativan, Klonopin, or Xanax, but those are more addictive-in a traditional sense--so they might not want to take the risk. It's more of a psychiatrist's job to take that risk . . .

IMO, getting a referral is the best bet, because psychiatrists (hopefully) have a better idea of what they're looking at. (Your anxiety could be related something else that a regular MD just doesn't have the specific training and experience to pick up on.)

Then again, if you have a good relationship with a general MD, they might be a good place to start, since you already have a trust and communication thing going on . . .

My opinion is also biased, because I've been burned by general MDs with thinly veiled contempt and/or prejudice and/or misunderstanding of crazy people. But hopefully, I've met all of them and no others exist . . . and you live nowhere near me. :doubt:

I had been thinking about seeing someone for my depression/anxiety for a few months now. I just made an appointment to see a therapist a couple of days ago. I just can't stand feeling this way. This depression feels like it will never end and it has sucked all the life/joy out of me. Now I worry that no one will believe me or my symptoms :shifty: And I have to wait a whole month for my appointment.

bonobogirl - Thanks for your reply.

I really hate going to the doctors so I will have to work up the courage to make an appt. I have what I believe is social anxiety. Sometimes I get so nervous I am literally shaking and my palms get sweaty, and my face turns red.

Sometimes I can't even go out to lunch with my husband.

:(

I'm terrified of doctors, too. I have to get blood pressure screenings for being on Adderall. My blood pressure not in a doctors office: 110/60. In a doctor's office: 136/80.

My psychiatrist is actually the only doctor I'm ever comfortable seeing . . . It's more like having a conversation with him, than a normal doctor's appointment. Now, I'm all taken aback when I walk in for sinus troubles and get orders barked at me.

I've been in therapy for 3 years, with 5(?) months of intensive CBT for 8 hours every damn day. (My regular therapist is more ecclectic, but there is a CBT component with him, too.) It didn't completely help me, but it is a powerful tool. I also don't really have an anxiety issue, and it might work even better for anxious people.

I'm terrified of doctors, too. I have to get blood pressure screenings for being on Adderall. My blood pressure not in a doctors office: 110/60. In a doctor's office: 136/80.

My psychiatrist is actually the only doctor I'm ever comfortable seeing . . . It's more like having a conversation with him, than a normal doctor's appointment. Now, I'm all taken aback when I walk in for sinus troubles and get orders barked at me.

I've been in therapy for 3 years, with 5(?) months of intensive CBT for 8 hours every damn day. (My regular therapist is more ecclectic, but there is a CBT component with him, too.) It didn't completely help me, but it is a powerful tool. I also don't really have an anxiety issue, and it might work even better for anxious people.

i am really hoping to get back on my adderall for my ADD portions, that stuff has a huge crash rate for anxiety tho which sucks.

I used to take beta blockers when I used to suffer severe panic attacks, which helped me a great deal as they slow the heart. Fortunately, I don't really get them anymore.

I wasn't depressed, just very anxious.

Gosh 8 hrs of CBT, I've never even heard of that, 45 mins and I feel exhausted. All that talking and dissecting, mentally exhausts you. CBT is definitely the best approach for anxiety. I'm glad it at least helps you, even though its not the cure.

I wish there were a nice 5 month therapy that could work for everyone, someday, when people get over the stigma of mental illness maybe we can make some huge advances in treatments for all disorders.

It was a partial hospitalization program. (Supposed to help you adjust to the real world after being inpatient for awhile.) It was mostly group based and we had 10 minute breaks around every hour. You could also just step out if you were feeling overwhelmed. (I often did it more because I couldn't sit still that long.) We also got a free hour-long lunch in the hospital cafeteria. We all sat together, so it was kind of like . . . another group. The CBT was taught like a class, so it was kinda like being back in high school, but with only 2 much, much more comfy rooms.

So, probably not quite as intense as your 45 minute sessions. We were also pretty low-functioning having just busted out of the locked side, so we probably couldn't even handle anything too intense.

Where I was wasn't as austere as that. I've never been in isolation, but supposedly, once you calm down (you have to flip to get in there), they'll let you out. (I hear it's all rubbery, though. I kinda wanna see/feel that . . . ) I've been in restraints before, and they let me out immediately once I was calm-ish. (Needles=bad.) There was only 1 hour of visiting time on weekdays and 2 hours on the weekends, which, for me, added to the isolation, which sucked, but I guess some people might be too overstimulated with the sudden commotion of extra people all around. It was a little shady that they traded me extra inpatient time for going into the partial hospitalization program, too.

Summary: Not a picnic, but it got me far enough out of crisis to go live with the normal people. Also, I was a little too cynical for some of the groups to work, but they probably help other people.

So i developed anxiety/panic attacks 4 years ago (back when i had severe cystic acne on my cheeks). Doctors gave me adivan and therapy. I decided to buy one of those anxiety programs............. I still get some on and off but I control them. I know how to work through panic attacks... Just crazy anxiety overwhelms me.. then blows up to panic attacks.

I know how to control the first stage of anxiety that develops into panic attacks.

I suggest you all try one of those programs advertised on radio programs, tv shows, internet.

It really does work. Think of anxiety as a light switch, there is a way to turn it off.. ever been really high on anxiety and go do something like water the grass.. or go for a drive, and it goes away for a while.. then it comes back? you turned it off right there!

Those programs brings your anxiety to a normal level so you can deal with it.

Find out what your anxious about, walk yourself through it

Do yourself a favor, dont take any meds.. cure yourself .. stop beating yourself up.. it ca be cured!!!!!

i hate inpatient. it was co-ed the guys were horny and none of the rooms had locks (obiviously) i woke up one night medicated so i couldn't move and this guy was standing over my bed staring at me. i was sure i was going to be raped but i was so sedated i couldn't scream. aparently my roomate saw it too but she was a 79 year old woman and didn't know what to do. Thankfully the guy just peed on the floor and left.

they refused to do any CBT therapy and just wanted to stuff me with lithium and i saw the doctor for ohhh about 10 minutes in my entire week there. and the fuckers stole my hairdryer. and a bunch of my other posessions.

a residential facility like what bonobogirl went in sounds like it would work with the 8 hours CBT but there aren't any around here (free health care = you get the shittest care if you're mentally ill only cancer people get the good care around here)

i was released from hospital not that long ago, about a week or so? i'm out of work and still fucked up and my current psych just keeps prescribing sedatives. I think they figue if i'm asleep i won't give a shit.

i just want some goddamn help.

So i developed anxiety/panic attacks 4 years ago (back when i had severe cystic acne on my cheeks). Doctors gave me adivan and therapy. I decided to buy one of those anxiety programs............. I still get some on and off but I control them. I know how to work through panic attacks... Just crazy anxiety overwhelms me.. then blows up to panic attacks.

I know how to control the first stage of anxiety that develops into panic attacks.

I suggest you all try one of those programs advertised on radio programs, tv shows, internet.

It really does work. Think of anxiety as a light switch, there is a way to turn it off.. ever been really high on anxiety and go do something like water the grass.. or go for a drive, and it goes away for a while.. then it comes back? you turned it off right there!

Those programs brings your anxiety to a normal level so you can deal with it.

Find out what your anxious about, walk yourself through it

Do yourself a favor, dont take any meds.. cure yourself .. stop beating yourself up.. it ca be cured!!!!!

i really respect anyone who doesn't need to be on meds but honestly in some cases without them....well i know i'd be dead for sure. thats a guarantee on that one.

but ya, totally if you think you can just do therapy and avoid meds by all means my hat is off to you

Horny psych ward guys = very, very scary. Our doors didn't lock unless the staff locked them. The guy across the pod from me gave me some very explicit visuals of what he'd like to do to me. Big guy. Manic guy. (Psychotic guy. Long story, but he thought I was some kind of sexy Russian spy, like, from a James Bond movie.)

Nobody peed on my floor, though. Now I'm feeling quite lucky. :) Thanks. ;)

there's supposedly one that helps with acne as well as anxiety although i don't know if it works on everyone(it probably doesn't.)