Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tripp

The Effects of Mild Acne on My Life

My dermatologist has described my acne as mild, which compared to some people's it certainly is. I think the reason why it has such a powerful effect on me is because I've never had any problems with my skin in the past.

Throughout my entire life, up until a year ago at the age of 20 when I began breaking out, I would literally just wash my face with a regular bar of soap -- and my skin was amazing!

I am a very social person. There's nothing I love more than spending time with my friends, going out, having fun. This acne, albeit mild, is forcing me to stop doing everything I love.

Because of the current condition of my skin, I haven't left my house in over four weeks (except to go to the dermatologist). I haven't seen any of my friends in about ten weeks. I haven't had my hair cut in ages. I had to back out of an internship I had planned to do.

There are so many things that I want to be doing (espescially now that it's the summer) -- and of course I could do all these things -- but I'm just so completely disgusted and embarassed by the way I look, even though my acne is quite mild.

At the beginning of August I'll be turning 21, and my best friend of fifteen years and I were planning on going to Las Vegas to celebrate both of our birthdays. Now, because of how I look I've had to tell him that it's probably not going to happen. Instead I'll most likely be doing what I've done every day for the past few months -- sit in my room.

Espescially now that I have begun taking Accutane (today was my first day on it). Who knows what the side effects will make me look like.

Obviously I wish I didn't have any acne, but I really envy those people you see walking around with very severe acne who don't seem to be phased by it at all. They draw their confidence from within, and at the moment I'm just not able to do that.

I understand how you feel, and when you said

"Because of the current condition of my skin, I haven't left my house in over four weeks (except to go to the dermatologist). I haven't seen any of my friends in about ten weeks. I haven't had my hair cut in ages. I had to back out of an internship I had planned to do."

Feels like me. I still need a hair cut pretty bad too. I just won't go yet. Did the doc prescribe you accutane, even for mild acne?

Did the doc prescribe you accutane, even for mild acne?

Yes, I think it was as a last resort.

Over the past year I've been on Doxycycline, Minocycline, Duac, Retin-A, Ziana and I tried Proactiv.

I did see some great results with Doxycycline, but I guess I adapted to them? So they stopped working after a while.

I've heard that with Accutane it can often make you look worse than you did with just acne, because of all the peeling/dryness/bleeding. But at this point I would much rather have a bloody nose every day and cracked lips than have to deal with acne anymore.

The only aspect of Accutane that scares me is that my hair might fall out, but I hear that's very rare.

The only aspect of Accutane that scares me is that my hair might fall out, but I hear that's very rare.

You said you needed a haircut anyway :)

I completely know what you mean, I feel like that every day. I miss those times without having fucking acne, it ruins my whole summer...

You said you needed a haircut anyway :)

Heh, I've been avoiding all my friends. I feel kind of back, I haven't logged onto aim much because there were people I told that I would hang out with them during the summer and I still haven't. Aside from going out for work, I just stay home. My friends called me to go to the movies and I pretended I didn't hear it. I get emails asking me if I'm available and I just ignore it and pretend it got bumped into spam.

Heh, I've been avoiding all my friends. I feel kind of back, I haven't logged onto aim much because there were people I told that I would hang out with them during the summer and I still haven't. Aside from going out for work, I just stay home. My friends called me to go to the movies and I pretended I didn't hear it. I get emails asking me if I'm available and I just ignore it and pretend it got bumped into spam.

Great that you are on accutane now. Supposedly to have good results for mild acne at least that's what my derm says. I also have mild to moderate acne and it was also the last resort for me after so many antibiotics and contraceptive. I have great results with accutane now that I am one month into it and I was cleared within 2 weeks after I popped the first pill. Side effects were not that much for me also, they have disappeared now except for my eye bags. I think you will be satisfied with the results.

The cooping in the house thing, most of us around here has been through it. Me included. I was staying at home all day while others were out enjoying their vacation.

Something called "Larch" may help provide you with more self-confidence.

Crab apple can be taken if you feel shame about your self.

Use the liquid drops, hold under tongue for 30 seconds, then swallow. It may help.

CAREFUL. i had ur situation and accutane was overkill. i should have done a low dose. now i have really bad eczema, probably permanent. use the lowest dose possible until the acne clears then stop. you can always start again, but if you get eczema its very difficult to treat. ive been off tane 9 months and my skin is so sensitive i get eczema rashes from just moving around, getting in and out of cars.