Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tripp

Tripp's Accutane Log

PRODUCTS: WHAT I USE & RECOMMEND

I have had amazing results so far. My face is completely clear right now, and I've only been on Accutane for three weeks! I figured that maybe the products I'm using in conjunction with Accutane are genuinely helping to combat the acne after all. So, I might as well share them with you!

Vasaline, Lip Therapy

It does the job, but it's a bit messy. I'm still looking for a good alternative.

St. Ives, Apricot Scrub

I have always been a fan of this product. My dermatologist said that there is a possibility it could aggrivate my acne. This has never been the case for me. It really is one of the only products I use that actually feels amazing. It gets rid of any flaky or dead skin cells, and leaves my face very smooth.

Cetaphil, Facial Cleanser

I started using Cetaphil when I started Accutane, having read about it on these boards. Unlike the corresponding Neutrogena face wash, Cetaphil does not dry out my skin at all. In fact, it almost seems to moisturize it. I also really like the smell of it, unlike the Neutrogena one.

Zia Men, Acticlean Face Scrub

This was a product that my dad got me started on. It's nice. It's a much gentler version of the Apricot Scrub. Almost too gentle, which is why I use it in conjunction with the St. Ives scrub.

Neutrogena, Oil-Free Acne Wash

I used to be a fan of this product, but ever since I began using Cetaphil my opinion of the Neutrogena oil-free acne wash has changed for the worse. It irritates my eyes if it gets near them, it smells awful, sometimes I accidentally inhale the smell of it and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, etc. I'm only continuing to use it a little bit until I run out of it. I don't think I'll be continuing to buy it, though. It drys out my face too much.

Nivea Men, After Shave Soothing Balm

I usually only use this after shaving, and I think it definitely helps. I don't seem to get razor bumps at all anymore.

Cetaphil, SPF 15 Daily Facial Moisturizer

I love the Cetaphil face wash, and the corresponding moisturizer is just as nice! It doesn't feel oily or greasy, and it gets rid of any dryness or minor peeling that I might be experiencing from Accutane.

Hey Tripp! I'm glad things are going so well for you, it sounds like things are looking up! I'm also getting the blackhead thing..my nose looks disgusting! So hopefully that will go away. It's insane! And were almost done with month 1! yay!

Tripp,

sounds really good so far.

I'm on Day 10 of my course. just dry lips to report so far. no acne improvement yet though.

Good luck.

Tripp,

sounds really good so far.

I'm on Day 10 of my course. just dry lips to report so far. no acne improvement yet though.

Good luck.

hey tripp..i noticed that too about the blackheads on my nose...its really gross!!! worst side effect so far is just dry lips and actually my nose is very dry inside.....yuck!! i just started month 2 today..went up from 40mg to 60mg.....a month flew by so fast.....

good luck with your treatment....sounds like you've been doing well so far.....

tammy

Thanks everyone! It's great hearing from you! Good luck to all of you, too!

UPDATE: Strange Side Effect

Now, I not sure if this has been caused by Accutane, but I haven't done anything that I can think of that would have brought this on...so I'm thinking it must be something to do with Accutane.

Right now, in terms of the improvement on my face, I'm the happiest I've ever been. I can honestly say that for the first time in ages, my face is 100% crystal clear (except for one tiny red mark in between my eyebrows left over by a pimple long gone). I'm so happy about that!

But...over the past few days I've been getting a rash on my elbows, of all places! It's not acne or pimples, either. The only way I can really describe it is a mild to moderate, but very annoying, rash on the outsides of my elbows on both arms. Isn't that strange?

I have an appointment with the dermatologist on Thursday, so I'll ask him about it then.

Be well,

Tripp

hey tripp glad your doing so well.... the rash may be accutane induced eczema.. try using a cortisone cream like benadryl anti-itch or cortaid.. it should help with the itching and reduce the size of the bumps..

^That's a common side effect of Accutane that many people experience. Moisturize that area like crazy and it should help it out.

The bumpy feeling on the nose is also normal. It is the blackheads and other comedones getting ready to jump out of the pores. :D So to speak.

Thanks everyone! It's great hearing from you! Good luck to all of you, too!

UPDATE: Strange Side Effect

Now, I not sure if this has been caused by Accutane, but I haven't done anything that I can think of that would have brought this on...so I'm thinking it must be something to do with Accutane.

Right now, in terms of the improvement on my face, I'm the happiest I've ever been. I can honestly say that for the first time in ages, my face is 100% crystal clear (except for one tiny red mark in between my eyebrows left over by a pimple long gone). I'm so happy about that!

But...over the past few days I've been getting a rash on my elbows, of all places! It's not acne or pimples, either. The only way I can really describe it is a mild to moderate, but very annoying, rash on the outsides of my elbows on both arms. Isn't that strange?

I have an appointment with the dermatologist on Thursday, so I'll ask him about it then.

Be well,

hey tripp...yeah i got a break out of eczema on my hand about 2 weeks into it...just get some cortisione cream...and a bit on my arms too......i guess this stuff really does dry everything up...lol

take care

Tripp

Hey man hows it going... About your rashes, thats a pretty common side effect of Accutane to get a little rash here or there... Im assuming it goes away almost as fast as it sets in? By the way 'contemplation' was my old nick on here. Started this new one for accutane, started 6 days ago! Good to hear your enjoying the clear face side effect of the tane as well! im hoping im mostly avoiding an IB!!! :pray: Good luck man.

WEEKLY SUMMARY: WEEK FOUR

July 28, 2007 - August 03, 2007

Results: Very Positive

Side Effects: None

Weight Change: None (149 lbs.)

Week four was great! No side effects, and only very positive changes. My first month on Accutane came to an end on August 3rd, which also happened to be my 21st birthday! Thankfully my skin was crystal clear on my birthday, which is what I had been hoping for and looking forward to for a long time! So, that was great.

A few days after my birthday, throughout the beginning of week five, I had a minor flare up around my mouth and jawline. I'm completely fine with that, since at least my skin looked good for my birthday! :lol:

I'm also happy to report that my second bloodtest went extremely smoothly. This time I made sure to lie down and concentrate on not forgetting to breathe! I also brought my iPod to distract me, and although it isn't enjoyable, I didn't pass out like last time! Next time I definitely won't be dreading it like I was for the past month.

Be well,

Tripp

P.S. Those minor rashes on my elbows have gone now.

WEEKLY SUMMARY: WEEK FIVE

August 04, 2007 - August 10, 2007

Results: Negative

Side Effects: Dry Lips

Weight Change: -2 pounds (147 lbs.)

This week hasn't been that great, but at least it ended pretty well. Like I mentioned, at the start of this week I started breaking out a bit, and this continued on and off throughout the week, specifically around my mouth.

In total there were five very small new pimples. As each one appeared I did my best to get rid of them (perhaps too soon), so this left little scabs. It's now the end of the week, and they're all barely noticable, which is great. It's just funny how things went from crystal clear to this in only one week!

In nine days, on the 18th, I'll be moving back up to college. All I want in the whole world more than anything right now is for my skin to look as good as it did last week, when I arrive back up there. I don't care if the very next day I break out like crazy. All I want is to look good for that moment when I arrive and see all my friends and roommates for the first time all summer!

I'm confident that everything will be fine, I'm just going to be extremely careful about my skin! Sometimes I find myself resting my chin in my hands when I'm sitting at my desk, and I guess it's not good to be touching your face like that. So I need to watch out for that sort of thing! :)

Be well,

Tripp

UPDATE: NEW PICTURE

Here is a picture from August 11th, the first day of my 6th week on Accutane:

[removed]

As you can see, there are just a few, small, left-over red marks. Overall I'm thrilled with my results so far! I hope it keeps getting even better! :)

On another note, I still haven't had my hair cut since the beginning of May! I should really get on that...

Be well,

Tripp

your skin looks great tripp... its going well for you!! and i think your hair looks great too!!

tammy

WEEKLY SUMMARY: WEEK SIX

August 11, 2007 - August 17, 2007

Results: Very Positive

Weight Change: -1 pounds (146 lbs.)

Another amazing week!

I couldn't be any more thrilled with the results so far! For the past three weeks I've had completely clear skin, except for some tiny little red marks last week.

And now, there is only ONE tiny little red mark left. Not even a single pimple! Only a little red mark! I just can't believe it. Every time I wake up and look in the mirror I can't believe the difference in such little time!

As I mentioned a few posts ago, today I'm moving all my stuff back into my appartment in Orlando, since school starts on Monday. All summer all I have wanted is to look good for going back to school. Thankfully I'm going to get my wish!

It's been an awful summer because of my skin problems, but Accutane had completely turned all my acne problems by the third week, and things just keep getting better and better.

I'm so happy!

Be well,

Tripp

WEEKLY SUMMARY: WEEK SEVEN

July 18, 2007 - July 24, 2007

Results: Consistently Very Positive

Weight Change: -2 pound (144 lbs.)

I think this picture speaks for itself...

[removed]

...I can't tell you how happy I am!

Be well,

Tripp

hey tripp, just wanted to say thanku for sharing your progress with all of us. im just about to start roaccutane and reading your blog has reassured me that it all may be ok as my skin sounds much like yours did to begin with.

your skin looks beautiful and it shows in your eyes how happy that makes you. enjoy it babe, cant wait till im in that place.

peace

UPDATE: Still Clear

Hey everyone,

I've been on Accutane for 11 weeks, and the reason for my lack of updates is because my skin has been crystal clear for over a month now, and just seems to get better and better (if that's possible).

Also, I haven't been experiencing any side effects other than mildly chapped lips.

I'm so happy with the results, and hope that everyone else is doing well, too!

Tripp