Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone know anything about taking diet pills while on Accutane? I hear a lot on these message boards about not taking multi vitamins, so I wasn't sure. The diet pill I want to take is called Alli, and it is Doctor recommended. It actually calls for you to take a multi vitamin before bed, though, so I am not sure if that would conflict with the Accutane or not.

Despite what the posts say, I take ONE-A-DAY Weight Smart multi-vitamin daily. I've had no side effects (that I know about) and my blood work has been perfect.

I would, however, like to warn you about Alli. It is a KNOWN FACT that it causes anal leakage and it says it right on the bottle. You have no warning either! No, I have not personally taken it but I've read all of the reports and studies about it.

I'll be curious to see what folks have to say.......

Karyn

60mgs

3mos

Despite what the posts say, I take ONE-A-DAY Weight Smart multi-vitamin daily. I've had no side effects (that I know about) and my blood work has been perfect.

I would, however, like to warn you about Alli. It is a KNOWN FACT that it causes anal leakage and it says it right on the bottle. You have no warning either! No, I have not personally taken it but I've read all of the reports and studies about it.

I'll be curious to see what folks have to say.......

Karyn

60mgs

3mos

I think you need to bear in mind that Alli interferes with your ability to absorb and matabolise fat, and yet fat is EXACTLY accutane needs in order to be absorbed. I think that there could be a definite reduction of effectiveness of your accutane if you take it in conjunction with alli, not to mention that Alli has only recently been approved and there's NO WAY of knowing what kind of drug interactions could come about.

Finish your course on accutane. Then go on Alli if you want.

U don't actually believe in diet pills do u?

I believe that along with diet and exercise, they can be fairly effective. I would never just pop diet pills and expect a miracle. (After all, it's not Accutane!) lol.

I think you need to bear in mind that Alli interferes with your ability to absorb and matabolise fat, and yet fat is EXACTLY accutane needs in order to be absorbed. I think that there could be a definite reduction of effectiveness of your accutane if you take it in conjunction with alli, not to mention that Alli has only recently been approved and there's NO WAY of knowing what kind of drug interactions could come about.

But if my body would contain less fat due to Alli, wouldn't that (in theory) make the accutane work faster? Wouldn't it make the accutane a much higher dose than originally needed?

U don't actually believe in diet pills do u?

I believe that along with diet and exercise, they can be fairly effective. I would never just pop diet pills and expect a miracle. (After all, it's not Accutane!) lol.

I wouldn't risk it...diet pills scare me! I lost 40 pounds by changing my eating habits/exercise and I work out 4-5 times a week to maintain.

I agree with the person above who said to do your course on tane and then decide about the pills!! :)

But if my body would contain less fat due to Alli, wouldn't that (in theory) make the accutane work faster? Wouldn't it make the accutane a much higher dose than originally needed?

No. Accutane is fat soluble and thus requires fat for absorption. If you have insufficient fat because it all gets pooped out immediately (or leaked out as the case may be), you will have less effect from the Accutane.

Someone I know tried it. She had to stop since she had to actually wear adult diapers one day...

Not exactly the smartest thing to take while you're on Accutane. Or unless you are seriously overweight. The website does not have any clinical pharmacology evidence showing how it is broken down and eliminated from the body. It did have some mention of certain liver and kidney diseases that contraindicated the use of Alli. That likely means that is it excreted via liver and kidney...so not safe on Accutane. Accutane is already hard on the liver.

I just thought of something:

Everyone is saying that accutane needs fat to work. Doesn't that mean that if I lose weight, whether it is on my own or with the use of a diet pill; that accutane will be less effective for me? If I do an hour of cardio every day in the hopes of burning fat, wouldn't that have the same effect on accutane as taking a diet pill?

Everyone is saying that accutane needs fat to work. Doesn't that mean that if I lose weight, whether it is on my own or with the use of a diet pill; that accutane will be less effective for me? If I do an hour of cardio every day in the hopes of burning fat, wouldn't that have the same effect on accutane as taking a diet pill?

I work in a pharmacy and our pharmacists will not recommend Alli to any of our customers (even though our company would like them too- sales!). Alli is the same drug but lower dose of the RX called Xenical, which doctors hardly ever prescribe, because it doesn't do a whole lot, plus the afformentioned sh*tty (literally) side effects. The makers of Alli sure know how to market though, as sales were pretty big when it first came out. But it will die down just like every other diet pill has.

I work in a pharmacy and our pharmacists will not recommend Alli to any of our customers (even though our company would like them too- sales!). Alli is the same drug but lower dose of the RX called Xenical, which doctors hardly ever prescribe, because it doesn't do a whole lot, plus the afformentioned sh*tty (literally) side effects. The makers of Alli sure know how to market though, as sales were pretty big when it first came out. But it will die down just like every other diet pill has.

Wow! That makes up my mind- not taking Alli. Or any other diet pill right now, for that matter. I don't want to risk screwing up my blood work and the possibility of going off Accutane! On another note, does anyone have any advice for what to do for initial break outs? I am having a horrible one right now... But thhe skin on my face where I am not broken out is extremely dry, so I don't know what to do! :(

Wow! That makes up my mind- not taking Alli. Or any other diet pill right now, for that matter. I don't want to risk screwing up my blood work and the possibility of going off Accutane! On another note, does anyone have any advice for what to do for initial break outs? I am having a horrible one right now... But thhe skin on my face where I am not broken out is extremely dry, so I don't know what to do! :(

Steroids??? For the initial break out?

BUMP!

Steroids??? For the initial break out?

BUMP!