Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xipher

xipher's Accutane Log

Weight: 128 lbs

Height: 5'9"

Skin Type: Oily, but has been kind of dry lately due to 2 years of BP usage

I first got acne at age 14, and it has only got worse since then. The left side of my cheek is covered with acne, which I would describe as being moderate-severe. And there is light acne on my forehead and my right cheek along with my neck. There is like no acne on my chin, but there used to be so it's kind of red at some parts. Also, I have moderate acne on my upper chest, shoulders, and upper back. Now, this may be asking for too much, but I hope that Accutane can rid me of all this *crap*, because antibiotics, holistic dieting, and BP (2.5, 5, and 10%) have all failed me. I feel like one of those guys who's "been through it all" and is going to his last resort.

Now, my family doctor has been recommending Accutane since April because that is when I had finished my second prescription of antibiotics coupled with benzol peroxide. He is GUARANTEEING that Accutane will get rid of all the pimples I have on my entire body. Truthfully, the reason I did not take it was because I was afraid after hearing about all the side effects. I was hoping my acne would just go away or something. Since April, it has gotten pretty bad on my left cheek, even though my right cheek has got a lot better. I'm not sure why, lol. And I've had my back/chest acne for as long as I can remember (3+ years). I was talking to my family doctor, and he said that if I don't use Accutane, the acne will eventually just go away, but it will leave scars. My mom hasn't really had a major problem with acne in her life, and my dad used to have major acne when he was young but it just went away. He didn't take any medication or anything, he just picked at it, and he doesn't even have any scars lol. But I have very sensitive skin so I don't want to try to be hardcore or something and copy what he did.

I saw my family doctor today and he prescribed me a 1 month supply of 40mg Accutane. Before I go and buy it though, he wants me to take a blood test. On the day I take the blood test, I can start the Accutane. And, after I've used up the month's supply, I have to go take another blood test. My doctor said that if my cholesterol levels are normal, then I will continue using it for another 1 or 2 months.

I'm thinking of going and getting the blood test tomorrow so that I could start taking the Tane tomorrow, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Any idea as to how much 40mg of 1 month's supply of Accutane costs?

2) Is there any way to prevent the "nose peeling"?

3) Will I be able to wear contact lens while taking Accutane?

4) Will I be able to work out while taking Accutane (along with taking protein)?

5) Does Accutane do anything to the scalp?

In return for your help I will post a fairly detailed log each day regarding my experience with Accutane like the other people here have done.

Thanks in advance.

First off I'd like to say good luck and I hope that this works, and I'm sure it will. I'm some what similar to you when I started, only it was the right side of my face that was bad, not my left. I also had/have acne on my chest and back and backs of shoulders, although the acne on my chest has since cleared mostly; In regard to your questions

1 - not sure, different country

2 - You cant really prevent it, I put vaseline on my nose and lips at night and that seems to help

3 - Not sure

4 - You can work out, but you might get joint pains and find it difficult to work out to the same level as when you were not on accutane

5 - Accutane generally dries everything out, which means you may get some rashes around your body, and that includes your scalp; it might get dry and itchy, just dry not to pick at it.

Overall, dont be afraid of the side effects, most people dont have many problems.

Good luck man.

Thanks for your response. Lol I know this sounds kind of weird but its comforting for me to hear that you have a similar problem like mine regarding acne.

k, I think I'm going to go take the blood test tomorrow morning and take my first Accutane pill after dinner. I will start the log the day after.

Thanks again =)

Got the blood test done today morning.

And I just picked up the Accutane pills. They cost $68.60 (Canadian) total for:

40mg

30 pills

Going to eat dinner and then take a pill.

Wish me luck. Will start my Accutane log tomorrow morning. =)

Day 1

I don't look different or feel different. Lips aren't chapped yet, and I put moisturizer on my face before I went to sleep so my skin isn't dry either.

Day 2

Have a couple of whiteheads on my left cheek and forehead. No dryness yet, really. But, just a tip to those who are thinking about taking Accutane, because I want to be as helpful as possible: get your sleep! Don't undersleep, or what is just as bad, oversleep. Get as much as you need, which is generally around 8-10 hours assuming you're a healthy individual yadda yadda yadda. I had a major headache today and I think it can be attributed to the fact that I only got like 6 hours of sleep... I normally need like 9.

So far though, I'm not really happy or mad that I chose to take Accutane. Nothing's really happened that's out of the ordinary lol (like a nose bleed or extreme dryness). Whiteheads usually come and go for me.

Though, when I look at my face, I can't ever imagine how it would look without acne. :(

Hey man, glad to see you've started. Some dryness and stuff will kick in after a week or so probably, make sure you have a good moisuriser and lip balm, good luck!

Haha, thanks for the heads up, Dan. =p

For moisturizer I have: Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture

And for my lips, I have: Vaseline, lol

I don't need something too fancy do I?

Haha, thanks for the heads up, Dan. =p

For moisturizer I have: Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture

And for my lips, I have: Vaseline, lol

I don't need something too fancy do I?

Day 3

Face is a bit flaky. Also, I just had another major headache and I had to take an Advil and it's kind of a bit better right now. I think if I keep having these headaches for a few more days I'm going to have to tell my doctor because I read if a "persistent headache" is developed while taking Accutane, the consumer should stop taking it.

Anyone else have this problem? :(

Day 4

Face is VERY flaky today at the cheeks and nose. I also do not have a headache today, yay. Other than that, nothing has really changed though in terms of the actual pimples.

Day 5

Nose peeling = extremely severe right now. Also, new pimples have formed all around the place, and my right cheek is basically as bad as my left cheek was when I started, and my left cheek has gotten way worse.

Seems like the only thing Accutane is doing at this point is killing me lol.

*EDIT*

Fuck this shit, have a major headache right now... Already have a scheduled appointment with my physician for tomorrow morning, cause this is seriously not normal.

Day 6

Talked to my doctor this morning. He said that the blood test showed that the enzymes in my liver were above normal so now I have to go take another blood test and on August 6, I have to get an ultrasound of the liver done.

Meanwhile, I am not allowed to take any Accutane so this log will be put on hold.