Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sanjoseskin

What is the verdict on Fraxel

Hey there.. I have had 8 treatments spread over 2 years. My last treatment was last February, so over 8 months ago. I've had about a 35% improvement in my scars by my judgement from my pre and post pics. Also, many of my friends have told me they can tell a huge difference; but most importantly, I can tell a difference.

While I don't believe fraxel is the silver bullet by any means, I think that it can provide some improvement. Personally, I think doctors who say you will get the improvement you want from 4 or 5 treatments should be shot. Lets say more in the range of 20 to 25 treatments. From my experience, that is the number of treatments I think it would take to get to a point where I'm very happy.

I can't believe some of the prices people are paying, fly to Overland Park Kansas, save yourself some money. I get my full cheeks done for around $320 a session. It was initially about $425 per session, but after your 1st 4, he gives you a 25% discount on all future sessions.

Sean

I haven't been on the scar forum since I've had my 5 fraxel sessions, what does that tell you? I've had AMAZING results. I've had rolling scars, very few dents and uneven skin texture, NOW all that is significantly reduced! I don't worry about my scars/skin anymore. Might sound too good to be true to some of you but this is my reality. I plan on doing Fraxel again in a few years because I want my skin to be 100% perfect.

Magic Dust- You say you've had rolling scars with very few dents. Well, which is it? What do you mean by rolling scars? It seems like your significant problem was pigmentation, which eventually goes away by itself, or is easily treated by fraxel. The dents, of course, are not, and I've had 5 fraxels and I still am dissatisfied with results. That's to say, I probably have true deep scars, whereas your case was superficial.

I haven't been on the scar forum since I've had my 5 fraxel sessions, what does that tell you? I've had AMAZING results. I've had rolling scars, very few dents and uneven skin texture, NOW all that is significantly reduced! I don't worry about my scars/skin anymore. Might sound too good to be true to some of you but this is my reality. I plan on doing Fraxel again in a few years because I want my skin to be 100% perfect.
Magic Dust- You say you've had rolling scars with very few dents. Well, which is it? What do you mean by rolling scars? It seems like your significant problem was pigmentation, which eventually goes away by itself, or is easily treated by fraxel. The dents, of course, are not, and I've had 5 fraxels and I still am dissatisfied with results. That's to say, I probably have true deep scars, whereas your case was superficial.

TOP dermatologists in the country say it's a waste of money.

I know this because I work in journalism and I recently interviewed such docs. Of course, a derm might tell you "oh, it works, try it." But then remember that this doc probably paid a hefty price for the laser and needs to pay HIS bills somehow!

TOP dermatologists in the country say it's a waste of money.

I know this because I work in journalism and I recently interviewed such docs. Of course, a derm might tell you "oh, it works, try it." But then remember that this doc probably paid a hefty price for the laser and needs to pay HIS bills somehow!

i understand magic dust's anger and frustration

and honestly he has a right to tell these people off. he's had the treatment and its worked for him.

why are others coming on here and making up obvious lies like they are a reporter and have interviewed top doctors. no reporter would ever say something like that. total obvious lie.

fraxel does work and its been proven in many clinical studies by many different doctors and published in many peer reviewed journals. furthermore it has individual FDA approval for several conditions including acne scars. no other laser has this. it is not easy to get!

honestly u people bitch and moan and demand a cure. then crucify someone who comes on here and tells u they had a treatment that worked well and was performed by a doctor.

"Because I can"??

I just think there's a constructive way to give your opinion. That's how mature adults do it anyway. But that's just my opinion...stated maturely.

Magic Dust was being a little confrontational to some people who didn't mean harm. Although, I see what you mean by people being either overly dismissive of Fraxel or overly accepting.

My basic question was whether or not Fraxel could help someone with shallow/minimal scarring.

I suppose the sort of scarring I have could be classified as rolling. Definetly not ice-pick or box-car.

My worry is, could Fraxel make things worse?

i think the jury's still out on fraxel for acne scars. i asked my filler doc here in nyc (she's known as one of the best) about fraxel, as this summer she said she thought fraxel II would be the best thing for me to do once it was available.

i asked her again last week when i went for more filler and she said she really doesn't know. she hears from people who have had it and say it's done nothing and from others who say it's helped them.

i really think ALL of this stuff is hit or miss and there's a lot of trial and error b/c everyone's different, has different skin, healing times, scar types, expectations, desires, etc.

i've noticed that some people on here are really negative and anything short of perfectly smooth skin isn't acceptable. not sure if you realize this, but it probably ain't gonna happen. i don't think i'll ever have perfect skin (although it's my unrealistic goal as i think it will get me as close as can be) and am happy with improvements that lessen my situation.

then there are the ridiculously positive people who think everything is going to make all scars go away. they're just as bad as the negative people. unless i missed something, making bad skin perfect isn't possible or none of us would be here.

the issue we're all facing with all of these treatments is: what is going to work for me and how much money will it cost. nobody wants to do something that won't work and waste the money, which makes sense. fraxel promises A LOT and costs A LOT and people therefore expect A LOT in return, which is why it's such a hot topic on here.

i really think you just have to get out there, use the knowledge you have, and start doing stuff from the cheapest (if $$$$ is an issue) to the moderate to more expensive. my feeling is: it's always going to be a combination of treatments that will ultimately make you look the best. the only way to know is to jump in and start trying.

you will waste money (if see want to see it that way) in the process. if you think of steps 1, 2, and 3 that get you to step 4 that's a treatment that really works for you as stepping stones to getting to step 4, then it's not wasted money. it's money well-spent.

one thing is certain: you aren't going to be able to ask people on here whom you've never met or seen what they're scars look like and try to extrapolate to your scars and hit the jackpot treatment without spending $1 extra. it's just not realistic.

get off this message board and go to the best doctor in your area for a consultation. one thing's certain: your face isn't going to look any different if you're sitting at home typing on this board all the time.

so what is the verdict on fraxel?

I had to make this new post, because the thread labeled "fraxel success" has gotten so LONG...AND HAS veered away from actual success or failure stories

so what is the verdict, is fraxel the greatest acne scar laser or just another laser for wrinkly old woman?