Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

the weirdest things acne makes you worried about

I pretty much thought up of every possible tragedy that could occur related to acne.

All the normal 'uh oh's' have already been named

-lighting, I actually avoid hanging out with someone during the day by lying and saying I have plans and wont be available until.... the sun goes down! haha

-mirrors, everytime I see myself in front of a mirror, I get nervous at first, and than I cringe. Sometimes I've even made out-loud sounds in front of people, and they're like.. huh??

-I also like have someone be on my 'good side'. To the point where I make people drive my car to get them on my left side.

-going to my car to grab something, or the mailbox w/ out makeup

-if my brother has a friend over or something and I'm walking around liike frankenugly

-me getting kidnapped and I don't have makeup on, I think I would actually scare any burglars away if this were to actually happen

-surveilance camera in my bathroom or bedroom, put there by some guy, and instead of a peep show they get a horror show

-sleeping over at my friends house, and in the morning I have to casually run to the nearest bathroom to check if everything is in place, and if it's not, I have to grab my purse and be like "oh, I'm on my period, where's my tampon?" and I just take my whole purse in there

-working out at the gym and sweating

-going in the pool and worrying that some jerk will "dunk" me. I use the excuse "i don't want to get my hair wet", so I don't go on the super slide or dive, but I REALLY want to.

-I actually told my dad last week, if I ever get into a coma, I do not want ANY visitors PERIOD. Cause I know I won't have makeup on. And I also want a closed casket funeral.

Yeah, I think acne and mental illness/paranoia kind of go hand in hand. Sometimes I think I'm a weak person for letting acne effect me this much, but I just can not help it. And I know once I have clear skin (hopefully), I'll be soooo much more active and love life, because that's how I act in the dark when no one can see me! haha. loser status, I know.

-surveilance camera in my bathroom or bedroom, put there by some guy, and instead of a peep show they get a horror show

Does anyone feel that acne is giving you a mental illness? Or perhaps extreme paranoia for no reason? Even when the reality is far from the truth?

I used to be frantic about what lighting I would be in, especially natural light.

Don't you girls hate applying your make-up in your bathroom and thinking it looks amazing... only to go out in natural lighting and be appalled at the sight of your skin?

That was the case almost everyday but now, my skin has gotten so much better.

I get back-flash memories from the time my acne wasn't so severe and get anxiety attacks about my previous papers that I have from an other computer

I told my mum a few days ago that I didn't care if my medication made my brain swell because I'd be happy to die as long as I had clear skin.

Needless to say she was absolutely speecheless.

I used to be frantic about what lighting I would be in, especially natural light.

Don't you girls hate applying your make-up in your bathroom and thinking it looks amazing... only to go out in natural lighting and be appalled at the sight of your skin?

That was the case almost everyday but now, my skin has gotten so much better.

mainly what light ill be in (i close the blind in english coz i can imagine what the light shows up) and probabally holding my hand over my eyes over my face to cover up my forehead, pathetic i know...

Ugh, yes. In high school, whenever I talked to someone I always found ways to cover my hands with my face, anything.

Also, anytime someone told me I was "pretty": I would just think, HA! You've only seen me with makeup.. Sure, it's pretty much only the concealer & powder or whatever (I try to avoid looking like a clown), but without it they would take back their words, most likely.

And the same stuff others have mentioned: Lighting, swimming, getting the mail.. I always peek out the window first to make sure no one's outside.

Lighting is really difficult (for those of us who wear makeup). You can look good, human at least, in one room and look horrid in the next. So now I have to put on (and check) my makeup in 3 different rooms (different lighting).

But it isn't just the acne, it's the fact that I've never liked the way I looked to begin with.. And oh, yes, then along came Acne and that just worsened my paranoia.

When I'm not wearing makeup, though, when I just don't want to deal with it (but still want to go to the library or wherever) I end up wearing darker, baggy clothes with my head down. It feels safer that way.

Ugh, and it's so ridiculous because I KNOW, rationally, that there are more important things to be worrying about, that I could get a lot more done if I didn't invest so much time hiding or worrying but I keep on doing it.

I used to breakout on the forehead so I always wore my hair with bangs to hide my forehead.

These last few days at work I haven't put my hair up in a ponytail with the bangs flopping around, I've actually used a headband to pull my hair off my forehead and left the rest of the hair loose in the back. I've never had so many compliments about my hair. Patients even noticed, family members noticed, other staff members noticed. Wow. What a wonderful thing to finally get over a paranoia that I had for so long, and with such positive feedback. Amazing.

So yes people, you can get over these fears even without being perfectly clear. ;)

Remember, people probably REALLY aren't talking about you or staring at you. If they are, they may just be noticing your nice outfit, your nice hairstyle, or something else nice about you. Think about it. Not everyone notices acne...fellow acne sufferers notice it more than anyone else. The 'beautiful but snobby and b*tchy of either sex' will notice, but who cares about that type's opinions anyway?

-lighting, I actually avoid hanging out with someone during the day by lying and saying I have plans and wont be available until.... the sun goes down! haha

-me getting kidnapped and I don't have makeup on, I think I would actually scare any burglars away if this were to actually happen

I agree with all of the things that have been mentioned, but I got a new one. I worry about what my daughters boyfriend thinks about my skin! It really puts me off, he's a great guy and I feel she is blessed to have him. But I worry about what he thinks, " will she look like that at that age, will our kids have their grandmas skin problems, will it get worse? And then there is the whole meeting his parents thing!(so far that isn't happening). And on a better note, my mother told me something that just floored me! I was at her house on the 4th holiday and she wanted to hurridley put make-up on before my hubbys golfing partner got there, she said she doesn't have nice skin like my sis and I do! I am thinking "WHAT" you have great skin, never a zit, no discoloration, nothing! I was speechless!!!!!! Elf

How people I like see me or how people who were my enemies feel that they have defeated me. It's more the feeling of not beig enough and also how my kids are going to look like that they will have the same problems....

Or perhaps that's not so weird....More the feeling of defeat..since I like to compete and feel at ease with myself....

Lighting is really difficult (for those of us who wear makeup). You can look good, human at least, in one room and look horrid in the next. So now I have to put on (and check) my makeup in 3 different rooms (different lighting).

Most of the time I don't really have to worry about anything, because if I have any acne I just won't leave my house for days on end.

If I absolutely have to leave the house, though -- like to go to the dermatologist -- then it's an absolute nightmare.

- I'll wear big sunglasses to cover as much of my face as possible (also, so I don't have to make eye contact with people).

- I'll turn my head away from people as they pass me.

- I'll pretend I'm on my cell phone to cover the side of my face.

- I'll look down at the ground and let my bangs hang down.

So far, though, I've found the "best" method is just to go into hiding so no one sees what I don't want them to.

Be well,

Tripp

Does anyone feel that acne is giving you a mental illness? Or perhaps extreme paranoia for no reason? Even when the reality is far from the truth?

what kind of lighting i'm in.. i don't like looking in the mirror when other people are around. looking in unusual mirrors.. and if i'm sitting next to someone, which side of my face is facing them.

When i go to bed, i have to have the covers over half of my face. I do it without realising. One of my habits

i can't sit in the seat behind the driver in the car because i am so paranoid about catching the slightest glimpse of my face in the mirror

I can't stay in a shop for more than 5 minutes because i am so worried about how my skin looks under the light

I hate having my photo taken

I am terrible with eye contact

I always wonder what people think of me when they see me

When i exercise i am so worried that i'm gonna break out

Sometimes when i'm talking to someone, i will cover my face (its quite disheartening really)

I refuse to go swimming anymore...because my skin will look awful

I'm constantly asking questions in my head "i wonder how my skin look", "why is that peron looking at me like that" etc etc

When i see a photo of me....i look at it with digust, whether my skin looks good or not

The only time i like my skin is when i've got a bright green face mask on lol!

"I told my mum a few days ago that I didn't care if my medication made my brain swell because I'd be happy to die as long as I had clear skin.

Needless to say she was absolutely speecheless."

I've had the same thoughts.

I avoid pictures at all costs. My friends always want to take pictures with me but I never can. Just like someone up there said, I'd hate to have it posted on facebook. I'm even skipping the days of grad pictures so I don't have to get one..

Another one is buying food. I hardly ever buy junk food, but when a friend wants me to or I drive through a drive-thru, I get all nervous, thinking the cashier will say something about how I shouldn't be eating that stuff because of my face.

I'm afraid people are gonna think I'm psycho if I don't leave the house since people usually spread rumours about me, maybe it's because my looks exemplifies a lot of pride