Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

the weirdest things acne makes you worried about

I read so many of the threads and I think "wow, that is exactly what I worry about"

So what are the weirdest worries that acne alone makes you have?

For example, the fear of being in a car just because I may accidentally glance into a really bright mirror and see everything worse than it really is. Or even in the backseat, seeing my own reflection on accident.

And also getting a haircut because I will have to look at myself. A trick I do for that is when I get a haircut, I don't look at myself while she is cutting the hair. I close my eyes and play it off like I don't want any in my eyes, or look to the sides. Then when she asks, "is this nice" I just point to the mirror and then she automatically spins me around and pretend I am checking the back of my hair to see if it's "even" so I don't even have to look at all.

And then the obvious ones like talking to people and just wondering what they are thinking.

..if im going to stand in a person's left or right side depending on w/c side of my face is better..

Casually leaning back (okay, pretty far back) in a conversation so they don't see my face from up close. I act like I'm just stretching or shifting my weight or whatever.

..if im going to stand in a person's left or right side depending on w/c side of my face is better..

When I'm not wearing makeup and step outside the house to get mail, I worry whether someone I know would walk or drive by and see my face. It is absurd because the process literally takes me only two seconds (the mailbox is on the wall, right next to my right door).

1) when I meet guys @ a bar (I admit its happened a couple times :whistle: ) I worry that when I see them again in "normal" lighting they'll be all, oh hey-ll NO and tell all their friends about how hideous I was in normal conditions. So far this has yet to happen but I still worry.

2) elevator lighting, almost EVERYwhere...youre right next to people and the lighting always tends to be awful. I take the stairs usually ....because I am trying to stay fit (hahaha)

3) I haaate when anyone looks at me for extended periods of time, even if they are "admiring" me (so they say) or just talking to me. I hate close talkers for the same reason. all I can think is "omg they are staring at my skin"

4) getting my hair done is always a task - trying to avoid looking at my face in that lighting and even my hair color always looks terrible for whatever reason. Until I get it done, that is.

5) makeup counters scare me. I've been to like, three..my whole life, and I always feel like they are giving me that "poor you" face. EW

6) ever catch your reflection in the mirror when your sunroof is open? yikes.

I am going to stop now, this is already depressing me

3) I haaate when anyone looks at me for extended periods of time, even if they are "admiring" me (so they say) or just talking to me. I hate close talkers for the same reason. all I can think is "omg they are staring at my skin"

Casually leaning back (okay, pretty far back) in a conversation so they don't see my face from up close. I act like I'm just stretching or shifting my weight or whatever.

I worry about looking at my reflection in the store, the car, the hair dresser, going to therapy. Also the bad lighting and the sun. It's an obsession. Everywhere I go, I have to look at myself countlessly. Also if my hair is in my face.

Funnily enough even with my acne ridden face i dont avoid mirrors i usually look at them as much as possible to see if theres been any improvement or new spots etc

I just happened to find this board by accident, and I'm so glad I did. You guys are describing my feelings exactly!

I hate looking in mirrors; I figure ignorance is bliss. :P I am embarrassed to look in mirrors in front of other people sometimes, too. I think that whenever I'm talking to someone it's the only thing they can focus on, because it's the only thing I'm focusing on.

I know it takes a huge toll on my self esteem, too. My friends tell me they don't even notice it, and just last night a guy I like told me I'm pretty, but when they say these kinds of things I just want to say "do you look at me? Don't you see this?"

I'd do anything to just have nice clear skin!

As already mentioned, I tend to not get too close to people even when talking to them.(usually 2-3 foot) Since I figure the closer you get, the worse my appearance gets :razz:

However this approach can sometimes make me seem a bit cold or distant to someone, but really I'm just conscience about my skin dammit. :whistle:

Guest The Effendi

I can't stand when people talk really close, I feel like I'm suffocating!

My Mom says she sees no problems, but I still worry about close talkers.

I HATE having my picture taken.

Haircuts for sure

Sitting in a car next to someone when one side of my face isnt so lovely

Going out in the day

Being called on in class when I got a crater on my face or anything

Sitting in the front seat of an untinted car

Going to a store with pretty people in it

I avoid mirrors at all cost

I worry about the weather, especially when it's windy because I wear my hair to cover some of my face and then the wind blows it all back and shows everything! Plus, it makes my hair a mess so I have crap skin and crap hair all on show.

Normal worries:

The lighting in the room and how bad it makes my skin look.

Going out into daylight (OMG so bad for all the red and brown marks).

Having people stand too close to me and thinking they are looking at my bad skin.

Positioning myself so that the best side of my face is towards someone, and the lighting is behind me rather than in front of me.

Dancing at a club and avoiding eye contact with the guy, or worrying my makeup is melting off, or hiding my face when the lights flash. Oh and lets not forget thinking this guy would never want to be seen with me if he could see my skin in normal lighting.

Weird worry of the month:

That I'll get sick and wind up in the hospital and everyone will see my scary skin without makeup. Wow. I even surprise myself with that one.

Does anyone feel that acne is giving you a mental illness? Or perhaps extreme paranoia for no reason? Even when the reality is far from the truth?

Mental illness, o hell yes. I'm obsessive over acne. I'm always in fear of getting acne. I'm paranoid over anything coming in contact with my skin except the air (hell if it was up too me, I wouldn't even let air touch my face).

Acne has made me completely paranoid, and pretty much destroyed any self-esteem I ever had. The worries that it's created are humorous and kind of scary all at once.

Some examples:

1) I'm scared to go outside while it's raining because I am afraid my makeup will wash off and reveal my disgusting skin in all its glory.

2) I avoid taking ANY pictures with my friends because I know that they will almost always post them on their myspaces or facebooks for the world to see.

3) If my grotesque pictures are on any of those websites, I obsess over it for days and constantly look at it to see how bad I look in it. Like it will suddenly change if I check back later. :lol: (I really scare myself with that one). I feel like an idiot begging my friend to take it off. However, that doesn't always stop me... :whistle:

4) I worry about what lighting I may be in. Classic one.

5) My latest fear is if I have to wear a pony tail for work. If this is the case, it will put the acne usually hidden by my long hair on display.

So the conclusion to all this is that my beloved acne has turned me into a nutcase. :doh:

I don't think mines too weird, but just when the someone touches my face. Or If I'm kissing a guy and I have a little one by my lip I get paranoid.

I'm always washing my hands..Making sure my pillowcase is clean..I hate it when anything brushes up against my face..

I hate it when ppl jokingly put their hands in my face.

I'm paranoid about dust, cat litter dust..Anything that could clog pores ..! :ninja:

After reading so much in here I'm more mindful of diet, products, scared of makeup.. Ugh! :wacko:

It just kills me that many ppl who've never even given it a thought are clear for life.