Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snaps

"Hopefully you'll grow out of it"

I'm 28 now. I've had acne, moderate to severe, since I was 10. It's on my face, back, chest, and upper arms. I saw a dermatologist while in middle school and had creams to try. Retin-A I think it was.

It did nothing for the acne except make my skin peel.

I gave up as the derm simply shrugged.

I tried another derm who put me on Accutane while I was in high school. My acne became worse while taking it. Once I went off, it went back to it's normal thing in being moderate to severe. That was the most advanced thing he had available to him and again, the derm shrugged.

I tried a derm a few years ago and told him about all of the treatments I've been through. He said it sounded like I'd just have to grow out of it. He shrugged.

I've gone for months without wearing a spot of make up with barely noticeable improvement. I eat well, sleep well, exercise regularly...

I've tried exfoliating once a day, twice a day and get no change. I've been on BP without any change. I've got super determined acne it seems.

I'd really like to get rid of it. I've read over some of the advice on this board. I purchased a cleanser for sensitive skin which "absorbs impurities". It's Queen Helene Cleansing Cream. I also got the mask. While my skin feels soft, it started to break out even worse. Well craps.

What to do?

diet

exercise

sleep

regular sleep

environment

stress

food allergies/sensitivities

I'm 28 now. I've had acne, moderate to severe, since I was 10. It's on my face, back, chest, and upper arms. I saw a dermatologist while in middle school and had creams to try. Retin-A I think it was.

how long were you on retin a, it can make your skin red and flaky for the first few months, which causes many people to give up too quickly, but if you stick with it your skin can improve lot.

I tried another derm who put me on Accutane while I was in high school. My acne became worse while taking it. Once I went off, it went back to it's normal thing in being moderate to severe. That was the most advanced thing he had available to him and again, the derm shrugged.

Won't hurt to get a hormonal check, try a BCP specifically for acne, and talk to your doc about short term antibiotic therapy, and/or spiro.

You could also add in a daily AHA product like Alpha Hydrox Souffle. I have not tried it myself, but it has good reviews. The mere fact that it has a decent percentage of glycolic acid is enough to convince me of its efficacy as I experienced the majority of my clearing from a glycolic acid product (the Avon one). If you do use an AHA, please also use sunscreen religiously.

Hope the above helps a bit. :)

It could also be that you have some skin problem that is not actually acne but it looks much like acne. You should go to a dermatologist (a different one if you did not like the last one) and ask to get a biopsy of an infected follicle. They can then tell what the invader is that is causing your breakouts. It could be a yeast or some other organism. Or you could just have the normal acne and have it for life. If you are female which it sounds like you are it might be worth having your hormones checked which can be done with a simple blood test. Your skin problems might be from an underlying hormonal problem and in that case the treatment would be much different.

Wow. It's kind of appalling that you dermatologist would just tell you to hope that you'll grow out of it. I suggest seeing a different dermatologist, getting a hormone check, and possibly an allergy screening (is that what it's called??). It will take a while to get the results back, but I know people who have been cleared from figuring out what they're allergic to. Your acne also could be dietary. Gluten, dairy, sugar, and a truckload of other foods could be causing your acne. What about your physical condition? Do you exercise regularly? Are you eating a balanced diet (dietary again)? I hope you find relief from your acne soon! :)

Wow. It's kind of appalling that you dermatologist would just tell you to hope that you'll grow out of it. I suggest seeing a different dermatologist, getting a hormone check, and possibly an allergy screening (is that what it's called??). It will take a while to get the results back, but I know people who have been cleared from figuring out what they're allergic to. Your acne also could be dietary. Gluten, dairy, sugar, and a truckload of other foods could be causing your acne. What about your physical condition? Do you exercise regularly? Are you eating a balanced diet (dietary again)? I hope you find relief from your acne soon! :)

To determine if its a hormonal thing, you'll need to do a blood test to check your hormone levels. If they see your DHEAS or testosterone, etc. is outside the normal levels, they'll also have you do an ultrasound of your ovaries (to rule out PCOS) and check your adrenal levels on your abdomen. Pending THESE results, the doctor will most likely refer you to an endo.

At least, this has been my experience. No point sending you to an endo. without first doing the basic tests to see if there's any problems.

...I eat very well and exercise regularly. I'm in good shape.

If it's a hormonal thing, is a dermatologist the one to see or an endocrinologist? I have an endocrinologist I see for a thyroid condition.