Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Themusic

Acne back after being on accutane a year ago

it is no where near as bad, id say i have about 10 or 11 spots none of them are deep they usually go after about a day but more appear, should i start thinking about going back to the derm or could it be the hot weather and me being stuck inside working with no fresh air?

diet

exercise

sleep

regular sleep

environment

stress

dry sweat can be bad for mild inflammatory acne, i have that problem myself

They say even after you get off of accutane that you can experience some breakouts but not as severe. I mentioned in another thread, when my first dermotologist put me on the stuff in my early 20's it actually worked but about 4 or 5 years later I started developing cysts again...I didn't take it again until July 2005 when I was 36 and it didn't work...ok, it worked in that from January 2006 till about a month or so ago, I wasn't as oily as I used to be though now, over the last month, I've been getting oily...but, that could also be because of the hot weather...I don't know. Also, out side of a few instances, I haven't broken out with new cysts..especially in the scalp and arm pits...the few I did were on the back and the lower stomach and they became boils. Hang in there....

i tried applying some benzol peroxide gel last nite and it seems to have dried out all the spots aswell as bleach my new bedding :( i forgot how easy it can do that

seems like the only thing is to keep taking low dose isotretinoin until you retire..... :boohoo:

at $10/month copay, i think it's worth it.

topicals are usually highly effective after a course of accutane, and a second course may be in order. for now just use some BP.

Yip it comes back alright.. I took isotretinoin way back in 2001, acne came back within a year it has now been 5 years since I took any oral treatment, and complexion is in a mess..

After a while you start to live with it but lately it has been getting progressively worse and Im gonna try that spironolactone stuff as with this you can be on it indefinately and you cant on accutane as it wrecks havoc on the liver..

With any oral treatment as soon as it has been stopped the acne will come back pretty simple really.. the acne is a symptom of a bigger issue (eg. hormonal imbalance, hiritism, ovarian cysts etc) and anything we use to combat it will work for only as long as we are using it..

I mean when are us women able to have babies being on all this medication for life??.. We are forbidden to get preggas on the oral treatments so while we are waiting to concieve our babies our faces are in a mess lol..

Anyways to be quite frank, all oral treatments are symptom suppressors NOT cures.. there IS no cure to acne.. I have just come to this realisation.. GRRRRRRRR sad reality aye???

my mate was on accutane years ago id say about 8 years ago and he had the worst acne i have ever seen in my life and his went and never came back, he has skin that resembles a burns victim though

it cures about 50% of the people who take one course permanently. but other people need further acne treatment or additional courses of accutane. you have a higher chance of being cured after a second course of accutane. and it is rare to need a third

I have yet to see someone take accutane and be free for of it for life.. Everyone I know that has been on it (myself included and I dont have THAT bad acne) the acne always ccame back and with a vengence... SUX thats all I can say..

Once you got it, you got it for life.. (well that much is true for women in their menstruating, child bearing life anyways) if only there was a miracle pill/cure where you could take it everyday be free of acne and not experience HORRIBLE side effects (not to mention the damage it does to your liver) my eyes have never come right since using accutane (Isotane here in NZ)..

If ACCUTANE worked it would be worth the risk to the liver but it doesnt.. REMEMBER the acne is caused by anover production of oil due to an inbalance in hormones.. It only makes sense that as soon as accutane (or ANY other oral treatment) has been stopped.. SAY HELLO TO THAT UNSIGHTLY MESS ON YOUR FACE AGAIN!!! Grrrrr

My acne is getting worse lately started when I was 21 and I havent been on accutane (isotane) for 5 years, i was considering it again because my NEW derm said ISOTANE WILL GET RID OF IT AND IT WILL NEVER COME BACK?? What a load of crap?? I was kidding myself if I was to believe as I have been on it before and it all came back so I dont know what to do now?? never tried the androgen blockers (aldactone) and this may be my last resort.. Ummm I thought Accutane was our last resort?? feel like im going backwards really..

But the reality is if there really was a cure this website wouldnt exist and we would see perfect complexions everywhere but this isnt the case.. Im mean have you guys all looked at the reviews of all the treaments and over the counter stuff.. Far scarry stuff!!

I have yet to see someone take accutane and be free for of it for life

dont feel bad.ive been on accutane twice and it's back.it's the worse it has ever been before and am extremely pissed and cant get rid of it.i dont think a 3rd time is smart.

I've been on Accutane for up to 4 months and my acne was cleared for 3 months. Unfortunately, it came back as mild. I wanted a second dose, but my mom was not trying to risk anymore liver damage so she said hell no. Why is Accutane called the last resort drug again? If it was worth all the birth control I consumed, all the blood checks, and "the might damage my liver" concern, I would be happy I took this drug.

it cures about 50% of the people who take one course permanently. but other people need further acne treatment or additional courses of accutane. you have a higher chance of being cured after a second course of accutane. and it is rare to need a third

I mean when are us women able to have babies being on all this medication for life??.. We are forbidden to get preggas on the oral treatments so while we are waiting to concieve our babies our faces are in a mess lol..

Anyways to be quite frank, all oral treatments are symptom suppressors NOT cures.. there IS no cure to acne.. I have just come to this realisation.. GRRRRRRRR sad reality aye???

Yeah, I was on Accutane when I was 22 (when I first started getting my cystic acne) and it cleared me up. I stayed clear till I was about 26 going on 27 years old....and then that's when it came back with a vengence. I waited till after grad school to start going to a new dermotologist again (I was 32 in 2001). I went for about 2 years, tok 2 years off from going and then went back at the age of 36 where July 2005 I was put on accutane for the 2nd time in 14 years...unfortunatly it didn't work...I guess it doesn't work on my kind of cysts.

Anyway, one thing it did do was prevent other cysts from forming with the exception of may 2 or 3 other times.

Now, I'm wondering to myself how it worked the first time when I was 22 and didn't work the 2nd time around when I was 36? That's the part that really kills me? I do remember my original derm telling me that I might have to go on a 2nd treatment but, since I was clear, I thought she was full of it...and guess what? It came back..I wonder if back then I took that 2nd treatment would I be better now or would the cystic acne still have come back?

My current derm says if it didn't work the first time around (when I was 36) it probably won't work again if I took it for a 2nd time now over a year and a half later (finished December 2005).

What I didn't tell him was this...there were lots of times where I didn't take the Accutane with food..and I'm wondering if that lessened its potency and if that could be the reason it didn't work?

As for side effects..I have to say, for me, I was lucky it wasn't that bad..but, i did take a lot of Vitamin E like the Derm reccomended. My side effects were:

1. Dried lips....and actually they weren't bad up until the last month of treatment where it was brutal.

2. Blood in the nose...didn't get a bloody nose like they say you can but there were times when I blew my nose and there was blood on the tissue...but those were few and far between.

3. The Rash...got that the last 4 weeks..and it was more on my hands and arms and went away when I applied moisturizor.

4. Lower back pain...now that hurt...got that the last 2 to 2 and half months of taking it.

5. In terms of personality? There was maybe one or two times where I snapped...not snapped like going postal but, snapped by yelling at someone...usually I'm mild mannered but those two times my temper got the best of me...now, I don't know if that was from the accutane or because it was just a bad time....never felt suicidal or depressed or anything like that which they say can happen while on Accutane.

So now the question...I asked my doctor if after he's done draining my cysts if it would be smart to go back on the accutane in that it might help to not have them come back...he said he might think about it but still is against it..first because of the price and 2nd because he doesn't think it might work..though I should tell him that there were many times where I didn't take the accutane with a meal...we shall see.