Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goddamnspots

what questions should i ask my derm about 'tane

well ive finally been given an appointment to see a dermatologist via the NHS after alot of ringing up and faffing about, im soooooooooooooo happy and its only in 22 days (25th july) im really really happy at the moment that its happening finally after waiting so long.

anyway im going to prepare a list of questions to ask the derm about going on 'tane and was wondering if you guys had any questions which are good to ask... i want to make sure i get everything covered in the first appointment about dosage, blood tests, side effects, post-'tane etc etc.

so, any ideas?

and once again just want to share my happiness........WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

hahaha

accutane here i come!

anyone...?

i know i have you guys who can answer my questions but i thought it be best if i get the answers from my derm who is a professional after all first to clear things up...

Hi there -

I'm on low dose Tane right now (20mg day) and in month 3. I have mild acne and all is going great. I had a few pimples flare up in week one, then started seeing results after two weeks (smoother skin day by day). Occassional pimple or two during month one/two. Now really none.

Depending how mild/moderate/severe your acne is you may get more of a flare up during month one or more. Personally I would ask for a lower dose during month one.. I've read higher the dose and greater the acne, the higher probability of more flaring. So, I would discuss dosages with your Derm. Also, you want to ensure your Derm. is dosing your Tane at recommended dosages (about 1mg per kg of body weight). Some do .5mg per kg of body weight in the early months (month 1-2) and then kick it up to 1mg or so the rest of treatment (months 2-5 or 6). Again, it's based on your skin type and how your skin is doing and what your Derm. suggests. Too high of Tane (close to 2mg per kg of weight) can cause major flushing and Rosacea. You want to be careful on this. You will see posts here and other sites that Accutane gave folks Rosacea - most were on too high of dose for their weight and/or skin type. Lastly, using gentle cleansers and oil-free SPF 30 each day during Tane is good. You want to be gentle to your skin.

Good luck.

Yvette

well ive finally been given an appointment to see a dermatologist via the NHS after alot of ringing up and faffing about, im soooooooooooooo happy and its only in 22 days (25th july) im really really happy at the moment that its happening finally after waiting so long.

anyway im going to prepare a list of questions to ask the derm about going on 'tane and was wondering if you guys had any questions which are good to ask... i want to make sure i get everything covered in the first appointment about dosage, blood tests, side effects, post-'tane etc etc.

so, any ideas?

hahaha

accutane here i come!

Hi -

A few more things... Side effects.

You may get occassional headaches week 1. Body aches occassionally during treatment. Tiredness is kinda common - just try to exercise and eat good. If you need to take more naps or sleep a little longer that's cool. I've gotten a little moody on Tane, but seeing my skin look really good, couteracts it! Stay positive and be around supportive people. Don't drink at all if possible. Accutane is hard on your liver. You can discuss this with your Derm. (he/she may say one drink or two on rare occassions is fine) but you need to be really careful. Be patient during treatment as Tane works differently for some.... You may clear right away, or you may clear more in the middle-end of treatment. We're here for support. Lots of posts to check out too.

Take care.

Yvette

Hi there -

I'm on low dose Tane right now (20mg day) and in month 3. I have mild acne and all is going great. I had a few pimples flare up in week one, then started seeing results after two weeks (smoother skin day by day). Occassional pimple or two during month one/two. Now really none.

Depending how mild/moderate/severe your acne is you may get more of a flare up during month one or more. Personally I would ask for a lower dose during month one.. I've read higher the dose and greater the acne, the higher probability of more flaring. So, I would discuss dosages with your Derm. Also, you want to ensure your Derm. is dosing your Tane at recommended dosages (about 1mg per kg of body weight). Some do .5mg per kg of body weight in the early months (month 1-2) and then kick it up to 1mg or so the rest of treatment (months 2-5 or 6). Again, it's based on your skin type and how your skin is doing and what your Derm. suggests. Too high of Tane (close to 2mg per kg of weight) can cause major flushing and Rosacea. You want to be careful on this. You will see posts here and other sites that Accutane gave folks Rosacea - most were on too high of dose for their weight and/or skin type. Lastly, using gentle cleansers and oil-free SPF 30 each day during Tane is good. You want to be gentle to your skin.

Good luck.

Yvette

so, any ideas?

hahaha

accutane here i come!

thanks so much for your reply yvette

well to answer your questions, my acne is moderate at the moment and quite persistent, i have alot of scarring and red marks from previous acne and just overall bumpiness, im 5'2 in height and weigh 48/50kg so what would you suggest i ask to go on at first? i also want to start on a low dosage as i have dry skin anyway from using BP regimen so don't want harsh side effects straight away. any idea what the highest dosage for my weight would be?

thank you so much for your help im quite excited to go on 'tane and have clear skin, especially as im getting married next year and am quite desperate!!

thanks again x

Hi there, you are about the same weigh as I am, I am on 20mg by the way. I think the highest dosage you can get is 40mg. I also have mild-moderate acne so I think the doctor should prescibe you about the same dose as me. But don't count on that, trust the doctor.

Ask tonnes of questions like: will I have an IB, do I get sensitive to sunlight, how fast do you think I can clear, what products will you recommend I use, what side effects will I get? And if you have been using prescription medication in the past ask whether you can continue on those topicals. Also best if you can ask the derm to give you everything. I know I left the derm's office before popping the first accutane pill with: 30 pills of accutane, a cleanser, topical antibiotic and a lip moisturizer.

Voice out any discontent about your skin at the next visit. I was not happy with the brown marks on my face and my derm gave me something to use as well.

Good luck!

ask him not to lie to you when your hair is falling out by telling you "[not to] worry about it"

Hey there -

We are about the same size, I weigh about 105 or about 45-50kg. I would discuss with your Derm to start around 20mg for month one. Is your skin sensitive and/or thin? If so, then 20mg max. My skin is very sensitive and thin and am glad I started on 10mg and worked to 20mg. You want to see how your body/skin handles Tane and since you are small and your acne moderate, I don't think you need to start on a high dose off the get-go. Then if month one goes great (expect to feel some side effects week one though, especially the possibililty of headaches)

then you can move to 30mg month two or more. Then consider 40-50mg if needed. You can also play around with the numbers to try to get your cummulative dose. Basically, you want to try to have a full dose that would equal about 120mg per kg of weight.

Here are some more tips that I've read and/or have worked for me. Start taking Tane after you get your worse breakouts, for example, if you breakout around your period, then take after your breakout. The less "active" acne you have on your face when starting is good. Generally, you will flair on the pimples you have on your face (and ones forming under your skin). Also, most insurance plans pay for generics only, and not name brand Accutane (by Roche). Many will say the generics are all the same, however, my Derm. recommends brand or Sotret only. He said the studies were done on the brand and he feels Sotret is the best generic. I didn't have a major IB and I'm on Sotret (my insurance doesn't pay for brand-by Roche). So, my advice is to get brand name Accutane by Roche or Sotret. I called Pharmacies near me and found one that had Sotret. I'm very pleased with it.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions. Let us know how it goes.

Yvette