Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scv12

Can my moisturizer be causing redness?

I use Dan's Cleanser, Dan's BP, and Complex15. One thing I've been worried about is the cleanser, when I use it my face gets DRY as can be with FLAKES FLAKES FLAKES. The flakes are so bad, it hurts to move my face.

Anyways, when I apply BP, the flakes go away, and it feels kinda nice. I apply the moisturizer and my face looks good for about 15 minutes. But then, my face gets ridiculously red. I mean, I look like a red apple straight out of Washington. But when it's time for my nightly application, the redness is gone. And when I wake up, the redness is gone. Could this be my moisturizer? Should I try a new product? My skin is EXTREMELY sensitive by the way. When water touches my face, I get a very red face for like 5-10 minutes until the water dries.

How are you washing your face (hands, washcloth, in the shower, how long, etc.), and how long are you waiting between steps?

You might also be using a little too much BP. Dan's cleanser is pretty darn moisturizing as far as cleansers go, so I think the flaking is caused by the BP drying out your skin. When you wash the products off, all you have are the flakes, which is why you notice them after washing, but the BP sort of pastes them back on to your face in a way, which is why they disappear after you apply it. I'm not sure why you're getting delayed redness from Complex 15, but to be honest, it's probably the best moisturizer that I've tried for sensitive skin. Some other members might have recommendations, though. I think cutting back on BP for now will help you out more than anything else.

How are you washing your face (hands, washcloth, in the shower, how long, etc.), and how long are you waiting between steps?

You might also be using a little too much BP. Dan's cleanser is pretty darn moisturizing as far as cleansers go, so I think the flaking is caused by the BP drying out your skin. When you wash the products off, all you have are the flakes, which is why you notice them after washing, but the BP sort of pastes them back on to your face in a way, which is why they disappear after you apply it. I'm not sure why you're getting delayed redness from Complex 15, but to be honest, it's probably the best moisturizer that I've tried for sensitive skin. Some other members might have recommendations, though. I think cutting back on BP for now will help you out more than anything else.

Just so you know, I've been on the regimen only since Thursday. So I dunno if this is normal or not, but I doubt it.

Anyways, for my face, I just wet my face and hands after a shower in the morning. I lather the cleanser on my hands and then just sorta spread it on my face and splash it off with warm water.

I'm gonna use a little less BP for the next few applications and see whats up. I'm gonna buy a new moisturizer today and try it out, probably a Cetaphil brand. And also, several weeks into the regimen, do people still experience redness?

EDIT: I just now applied the BP and I used a very small amount. I'll see how this goes.

Flakiness now is actually pretty darn normal (I know I had some flakiness going on), but how bad it is depends on how sensitive your skin is, how much BP you started, and how often you use it.

Your washing method sounds fine, though I wonder if maybe your shower is drying out your skin. Long hot showers (or even worse, baths) tend to do this for me. Try to cut down the length of shower as much as you can, and shower with cooler water rather than steamy hot water if you aren't already.

Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion is one of those love it or hate it moisturizers here. I haven't tried it personally, but i believe it's thicker than most. If you get that one and your redness is worse than with the Complex 15 after applying it, I wouldn't junk the lotion, but you might use it at night when the redness doesn't matter so much so that you can get extra moisturized. Jojoba oil is also a good thing to try out, you can either add a few drops to your moisturizer or apply a few drops all over your freshly washed skin before applying BP. (Or I guess you can also do both if you like!) In my experience, using it in the latter way can help loosen flakes, and your face won't feel as tight when the BP dries. You can pick some up at most health/natural/nutrition stores or the crunchy natural body product aisle of fancier supermarkets, Desert Essence is probably the most popular brand.

Redness is one of those things you can do a little to make better on the regimen, but for the most part, you have to deal with some degree of it for the first month or two as you adjust. Mine went away gradually. I was still a bit pinker than usual even after I cleared up (2 month point for me), but my skin was looking normal probably after 3 months or so.