Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Bigger

30 Minutes of Direct Sunlight Without Sunscreen

if it isn't i'm screwed

a regular walk around my campus along with a walk to and from a store can easily add up to over an hour in intense sunlight

and i despise sunscreens and moisturizers

Just remember how many people spent way longer than 30 mins a day outside before sunscreen was even invented. I think that you absolutely need direct sunlight each and ever day.

the sun is the all natural healer

kills bacteria and oil on your skin and heals scars

just don't get burnt i suppose

Just remember how many people spent way longer than 30 mins a day outside before sunscreen was even invented. I think that you absolutely need direct sunlight each and ever day.

30 minutes everyday without sunscreen might not seem like much, but actually adds up to approximately 160 hours a year. Do your skin a favor and wear sunscreen =]

30 minutes of sun exposure a day is not going to hurt your skin IF you are not burning. The key is to slowly expose your skin to more sun on a daily basis as to develop a tan to protect against burns. Sun exposure does not lead to skin cancer, sun burning does.

Get more antioxidants in your diet, eat more beta-carotene (carrots, spinach etc.) and even out your omega 3:6 ratio, these will all help your skin in the sun. Notice how smokers have the worse skin by the time they're in their 40's / 50's? Notice how it gets all red and unhealthy looking? That's because they have an absolute shortage of antioxidants to fight off the free radicals caused by smoking and sun exposure.

30 minutes of sun exposure a day is not going to hurt your skin IF you are not burning. The key is to slowly expose your skin to more sun on a daily basis as to develop a tan to protect against burns. Sun exposure does not lead to skin cancer, sun burning does.

Get more antioxidants in your diet, eat more beta-carotene (carrots, spinach etc.) and even out your omega 3:6 ratio, these will all help your skin in the sun. Notice how smokers have the worse skin by the time they're in their 40's / 50's? Notice how it gets all red and unhealthy looking? That's because they have an absolute shortage of antioxidants to fight off the free radicals caused by smoking and sun exposure.

I have relatives who have always avoided the sun who have had dozens of sun cancers removed.

Personally not enough sun can be just as bad as too much sun.

As far as pre-mature aging, ive witnessed the same principle, people who spend too much time in the sun pre-maturely age, however i know alot of people who have completely avoided the sun and have aged terribly.

A light tan, as long as the right precautions are taken will have no adverse effects.

and none of this would be a serious issue if the human race hadn't almost ruined the ozone layer

The boldfaced parts are actually incorrect. UV radiation can damage your skin regardless of if you burn or not. Burning is caused by UVB radiation. This causes sunburn.....however UVA radiation goes down deeper into the dermis where it really does damage. It creates free radicals that destroy skin cells and wreak havoc on collagen, elastin, and other matrix proteins....UVA radiation can damage DNA.....which can lead to skin cancer.....

The effects of UVA damage are cumulative.

I agree that getting enough antioxidants in your diet can help with the damaged caused to your skin by UVA radiation, however it's not known exactly how much you'd need to consume, and it also depends on your genetics and environemnt and your proximity to the equator where the UV radiation is the strongest.

If I spent 30 minutes in the sun without any sunscreen I'd burn. Yeah I could get a tan, but I hate the way my skin looks with a tan.....it's all blochy and uneven.

I'll stay in the shade and wear sunscreen. I like looking younger then I really am, and I want to stay that way.....

and none of this would be a serious issue if the human race hadn't almost ruined the ozone layer

The boldfaced parts are actually incorrect. UV radiation can damage your skin regardless of if you burn or not. Burning is caused by UVB radiation. This causes sunburn.....however UVA radiation goes down deeper into the dermis where it really does damage. It creates free radicals that destroy skin cells and wreak havoc on collagen, elastin, and other matrix proteins....UVA radiation can damage DNA.....which can lead to skin cancer.....

The effects of UVA damage are cumulative.

I agree that getting enough antioxidants in your diet can help with the damaged caused to your skin by UVA radiation, however it's not known exactly how much you'd need to consume, and it also depends on your genetics and environemnt and your proximity to the equator where the UV radiation is the strongest.

If I spent 30 minutes in the sun without any sunscreen I'd burn. Yeah I could get a tan, but I hate the way my skin looks with a tan.....it's all blochy and uneven.

I'll stay in the shade and wear sunscreen. I like looking younger then I really am, and I want to stay that way.....

Sun is good for you and it always has been, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Cancer, cancer, cancer...everything causes cancer, who gives a shit...

Typically someone who spends afew protected hours in the sun looks far healthier, and younger than those who spend no time in the sun, and those who spend too much unprotected time in the sun.

Typically someone who spends afew protected hours in the sun looks far healthier, and younger than those who spend no time in the sun, and those who spend too much unprotected time in the sun.

the sun has been around for a long time guys, its the fuckin source of life, i think we've adapted by now...but hey if you think our bodies are designed for hiding inside, be my guest

So far in the papers that I've read, they all say to wear sun screen all the time to limit the damaging effects of the sun which can cause pigmentation, wrinkles, skin cancer, etc.

At the same time, the sun can help kill acne and having a tan actually helps with acne. There are acne treatments available that utilize the specific UV radiation which helps kill the acne. THe vitamin D in the sun is also useful in combating a number of illnesses which is better than getting it in a vitamin supplement.

Overall, imo sun is good in moderation. And also to always wear sun screen.

this is quite the debate. you can look at it from two perspectives: the early humans and modern, popular science.

1. We are creatures that were designed to live on this earth and absorb the natural sun.

2. We can focus on doctors who tell you that the sun is evil.

I've been baffled by this as well so I'll stick to moderation of less than 30 minutes without sunscreen. I like to belief that skin cancer happens to people in their ages of 40-60 who have tanned at the beach constantly ever since they were young...

There are many dermatologists that question what they consider the "sun-damage myth"

The reason is simple: huge amount of discrepancies on the premises (studies) used to postulate the sun-damage theory. Others here have already listed one of them (i.e. people who consciously never expose to the sun has an higher incidence of melanoma than people who don't avoid sun exposure)

Another reason is that there's actually no kind of demonstrable proof that melonoma is caused by sun exposure. Many dermatologists have honestly claimed that we don't know what caused melanoma and that studies find more correlation with diet and smoking than any kind of sun exposure. Other discrepancies are that in those countries where the climate is year-round sunny and people expose themselves to the sun, cancers are found in those areas of the skin less exposed to the sun. In a bunch of meta-analysis with navy workers it was shown that skin cancer was more common between those who worked inside and never exposed themselves to the sun, compared to those that worked outside and were exposed to the sun the whole day, including those with very fair skin.

Even more interesting is how researches prove that it's just not true that UVA damage the cells even before there's burning. It's a kind of retroactive thinking where there are no facts but just assumptions. One start with the assumption that sun is damaging per se period, deduces the generalization that all sun and whatever kind of exposure must necessarily be damaging and the whole argument justifies the claim that UVA per se must somehow damage the cell even when burning doesn't occur. It's not the kind of statement that requires a proof since it is not based on visible proof but on whishful thinking that it must be that way because it is the only way to explain the foundational unproved assumption. It makes the whole issue appear self-important and based on direct documented proof while it is just not so and everything about it is just a matter of doubtful correlation (excluded all the discrepancies) and false positives but not clinical evidence.

Most noticeably the dermatologist Bernhard Ackerman has been trying to expose the myths of sun damage, especially the myth that the indiscriminate and unavoidable damage of cells from UVA is something known because of laboratory evidence rather than preconceived deductive theories. Another researcher dermatologist is with him on this. Andrew R. Ness has claimed often that "the risk of sun exposure and the benefit of sun avoidance are grossly overstated. And he goes on "the exact nature of the association between malignant melanoma and exposure to sunlight has yet to be determined". Another researcher Willing Grant is both involved with providing correct information about the real potential damage of the sun and the extraordinary benefits of sun exposure. Not only those related with vitamin D. For example recent studies looking at the benefit of sun exposure demonstrated that sun exposure protects against melanoma and may in fact prevents it.

Again another dermatologist Michael Holick speak openly about the lack of evidence that sun exposure causes melanoma, that sun exposure per se causes skin cancer or cellullar damage and in fact makes sure to point out how the majority of researches lead to the conclusion that sun exposure is inherently healthy and needed (again, those who avoid sun exposure and never tanned had an high incidence of melanoma and skin cancer as well)

I don't believe in telling people what to believe but I believe in people having all the information from both sides of every issues and the pros and cons of every position. This is not what they're getting in relation to information about sun exposure and health risks, the information is enterily totalitarian and univocal.

A good start from learning the arguments of the others side is this:

sunlightrobbery.pdf

uvfoundation

uvadvantage

SunlightD Organization

tunningtruth

Great info^^

Look away from the whole scietific view, these day's we get an average life expectancy of around 84years, and in this day and age its hard to avoid anything that doesnt kill you lol.

There's 'scientific' evidence which proves nearly everything can kill you: 99% of the foods in the average diet will kill you, too much exercise will kill you, too little exercise will kill you, living in the city will kill you, having electronics will kill you, too much sun kills you, too little sun kills you.

I think nowdays too many people are living paranoid, rather than actually living their life and having alittle common sense on some issues.

Just the same as the factors listed above, you risk dying every time you walk outside your front door.

I think in the past decade people have swapped common sense, for a universal consensus, that everything in the media is correct, and at the same time take every safety measure to extreme proportions.