Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
runnergirl3

Hormonal breakouts--advice on spiro or other remedy?

Hi I posted something similar in the fish oil thread but thought I'd post here too b/c I have been reading about spiro lately...

I on the whole have very clear skin. I'm a 25-year-old Asian female, and whenever I do get breakouts, they are almost always on my chin area or around the mouth. I notice that I usually get a breakout once a month before "that time of the month." I'm on the pill Yasmin and the week before that time of the month, I have a bit of water weight gain, some moodiness, and of course a huge breakout on my chin (not every month though). So I think my breakout issue is hormonal and once a month, not every month. Yes I know this doesn't sound so bad at all, BUT when I do get a breakout, it is SO horrible and big. I almost would rather break out a couple times a month and have them be smaller! I don't think my problem is bad enough to go to on a prescription antibiotic, but sometimes I get so desperate and then thought maybe spiro; however, I heard it can be dangerous with yasmin and I've had kidney stones once before.

In terms of routine, I exercise/run a lot and try to drink a lot of water and just drink decaf. I wash with mild cleanser and don't overdry my skin and wear sunblock everyday and at night use sal. acid on oily areas and oil control lotion. Once a month I get a facial, I use a gentle daily exfoliator, and I use BP on breakouts if they are bad. I also use this algae, tea tree oil type mask a couple times a week. As for diet, I must admit it is pretty bad. I eat tons of carbs and very very low fat and maybe low to moderate protein. I don't eat red meat and don't eat fried foods (maybe once in a while fries). I do eat a lot of sweets. I take the GNC women's multivitamin every day with potassium tablets and eat at least 1-2 servings fruit each day.

Has anyone had a smiliar issue and found success with spiro? Or is it better to go with fish oil, evening primrose, or vitamins (zinc, A, magnesium, B, chromium)? Any advice much appreciated!

Hi I posted something similar in the fish oil thread but thought I'd post here too b/c I have been reading about spiro lately...

I on the whole have very clear skin. I'm a 25-year-old Asian female, and whenever I do get breakouts, they are almost always on my chin area or around the mouth. I notice that I usually get a breakout once a month before "that time of the month." I'm on the pill Yasmin and the week before that time of the month, I have a bit of water weight gain, some moodiness, and of course a huge breakout on my chin (not every month though). So I think my breakout issue is hormonal and once a month, not every month. Yes I know this doesn't sound so bad at all, BUT when I do get a breakout, it is SO horrible and big. I almost would rather break out a couple times a month and have them be smaller! I don't think my problem is bad enough to go to on a prescription antibiotic, but sometimes I get so desperate and then thought maybe spiro; however, I heard it can be dangerous with yasmin and I've had kidney stones once before.

In terms of routine, I exercise/run a lot and try to drink a lot of water and just drink decaf. I wash with mild cleanser and don't overdry my skin and wear sunblock everyday and at night use sal. acid on oily areas and oil control lotion. Once a month I get a facial, I use a gentle daily exfoliator, and I use BP on breakouts if they are bad. I also use this algae, tea tree oil type mask a couple times a week. As for diet, I must admit it is pretty bad. I eat tons of carbs and very very low fat and maybe low to moderate protein. I don't eat red meat and don't eat fried foods (maybe once in a while fries). I do eat a lot of sweets. I take the GNC women's multivitamin every day with potassium tablets and eat at least 1-2 servings fruit each day.

Has anyone had a smiliar issue and found success with spiro? Or is it better to go with fish oil, evening primrose, or vitamins (zinc, A, magnesium, B, chromium)? Any advice much appreciated!

You might have trouble adding spiro with your exercise routine. It will make you more tired and dehydrated. Also, you would not be able to take additional potassium supplements if you took it. Have you tried all those additional supplements? Sounds like some nutrition adjustments might work for you to. As for it working? Yes, it does work but there are side effects.

I didn't know spiro might make me tired...yikes! I'm only on Day Two, but now of course, I'm feeling a bit sleepy...

Hi Runnergirl3, I am on my third day of spiro and just ran 5 miles this AM (first run on spiro). I was aware of all the complaints of fatigue, lack of energy, etc. But honestly, that run felt absolutely no different from any other. Good luck to you. Oh, also, I'd like to mention that I am 37 years old so you should be feeling ever more energetic on spiro! ;-)

you may not have been tired today, but i heard it takes 1 - 2 weeks to feel the side effects of wanting to urinate more frequently, so maybe its the same with the tiredness?

and I have to say I really am tired this afternoon so I am going to start taking my 2nd dose much later in the day (I was taking one in AM and one after lunch, but I eat lunch very late.)

I didn't know it might be the spiro, but it's definitely SOMETHING...?

they say not to take it past 6pm (well for me at least, im on 100mg a day) because it can make you wanna pee during the night.

Well I heard some people take around 200 mg of spiro, but b/c I don't have breakouts all over, I was planning on doing a small dose in combination w/my Yasmin, which I heard has drosporinine (sp?), something similar to spiro--maybe ask for just like 25-50 mg. Hopefully with small doses I won't have tiredness, but I'm more concerned with the peeing! Right now with the Yasmin I'm peeing constantly, and it is worse when I drink decaf coffee, so not sure if I can handle anymore peeing!

Overall I don't usually like taking meds and feel it is unnatural for my body, so I'm super hesitant about spiro and was thinking of trying out fish oil and green tea extract first...but spiro does seem like an easy solution, so I'm torn...

I take Fish Oil (pharmacuetical grade) but I never heard it would really help my SKIN?

It is great for lots of things, eg. moods, over-eating, concentration...

I am drinking a ton of water & peeing lots anyway, but not in the night.

I've also just had back surgery, so I take Ambien at night to sleep (instead of pain meds)

My poor ol' body is just full of meds which is why I changed from Minocin to Aldactone (don't believe in antibotics forever!)

they say not to take it past 6pm (well for me at least, im on 100mg a day) because it can make you wanna pee during the night.

As for diet, I must admit it is pretty bad. I eat tons of carbs and very very low fat and maybe low to moderate protein. I don't eat red meat and don't eat fried foods (maybe once in a while fries). I do eat a lot of sweets. I take the GNC women's multivitamin every day with potassium tablets and eat at least 1-2 servings fruit each day.