Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all,

I am a 21 year old college student. I have had mild to moderate acne since I was about 12. I, like many others was told I would outgrow it. Throughout this time it has only escalated, to a point where I am quite unsettled. I hate the regime of concealers and foundations I go through if I want to feel confident on any given day. I also hate that I feel as though I cannot be close to anyone without them noticing my acne. Attached are several pictures. where you can see

1. the proverbial "pimples"
  2. scarring around the cheek area
  3. black heads and enlarged pores
If any of you all have suggestions for my skin type..I would be eternally grateful

post-60181-1183383448_thumb.jpg

post-60181-1183383482_thumb.jpg

post-60181-1183383498_thumb.jpg

post-60181-1183383509_thumb.jpg

post-60181-1183383518_thumb.jpg

post-60181-1183383448_thumb.jpg

post-60181-1183383482_thumb.jpg

post-60181-1183383498_thumb.jpg

post-60181-1183383509_thumb.jpg

post-60181-1183383518_thumb.jpg

My condition is about the exact same as yours! Mostly around the forhead right? I'm gonna go to my doctor and see if I can get benzoyl peroxide gel, cause it worked when I had mild acne before. Maybe you can try as well

Hi there! Many people experience good results with chemical and/or manual exfoliation. It doesn't look as though too many of your bumps are highly inflamed, so you might be able to get by with just exfoliation.

There are many choice for exfoliation: baby's hair brush method (see my sig for details - very good way of clearing pores and helping even up skin texture, just be very gentle), salicylic acid (I can personally recommend Paula's Choice BHA - that's salicylic acid), or something called Alpha Hydrox Souffle. That last one is most likely one of your best bets, in combination with benzoyl peroxide (at a different time of day), as I saw one lady's skin at work (your color) go from several lesions, even more than yours, to skin finer than a baby's backside. She was already a pretty woman, and now she is simply gorgeous. As you can be, too.

Alpha Hydrox Souffle is about 12% glycolic acid. It causes the skin to shed faster, thus it gets rid of pimples, particularly the non-inflamed ones type like you have. You will have to wear a sunblock while using it as you would be at high risk for hyperpigmentation if you use a alpha hydroxy acid product. It is a good idea to wear a sunblock anyway as that helps keep your skin looking younger as you age.

Good luck, and let us know how your routine works.

OH. Gently wash your face only twice a day with a gentle or sensitive skin cleanser. It's too harsh to use something for oily skin or 'acne' prone skin. Our acne prone skin is really sensitive, and the oily skin cleansers and 'acne-prone' skin cleanser tend to strip our natural protectants off the skin.