Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leily

Leily's Accutane Log

Hi guys I decided to start a log after I found this site and well all the information about Roaccutane and the support on here made me think it's a good idea... So anyway let me tell you my story.. I am a girl and since the start of high school I have had severe acne.. Yep it's probably the worst time ever to get acne. And well needless to say it really damaged my confidence and my trust in people.. I just hated the people that looked at me DIFFERENT, because I was the same as everyone else.. My word, I mean I also had a heart dammit.. I was already a shy introverted person and the acne just made me creep more into my own shell.. I remember coming home many times after school and just crying, with my mom trying to find the words to comfort.. Oh man and the movies about the "mean girl cliques" in school I can SO relate to.. I never had a boyfriend.. I used to pray to God that I would love just to HOLD a boy's hand one day and that I would be the best girlfriend ever, if someone just gave me a chance.. But ja it never happened.. So anyway, my mom took me to a dermatologist who put me on Dianne (birth control) and differin gel, which meant I couldn't take part in sport at school, coz I am very fair in complexion and the gel made my skin peel.. That didn't really help, it just made me more of an outsider.. I am very fortunate though, that throughout high school I had about 5 friends that were there for me through thick and thin, and funny enough I did the best in my class every single year.. I guess I just escaped into my school work.

I finished high school and for the first time ever, I had to go away to university in another country.. I was so scared, coz it was the first time I had to leave my parents. And my confidence wasn't really up there you know.. Sometimes I thought I'd meet a boy at university and the next minute I'd think what a fool I was, coz no boy would want to date a girl that LOOKS like me.. As many of you can probably guess, the first year of university was hell for me.. I went with my residence group to a boy's res once as part of the orientation programs and one of the guys actually made fun of me.. indirectly.. but Im sharp lol so I got it.. unfortunately.. U guys know that song from the movie SHREK 1, "I'm a believer"... Well there is this one line saying something like... "THEN I SAW HER FACE...".. So this one guy was basically singing this song and when he got to that line he acted horrified and looked at me, plus all the guys around him looked at me.. I guess that was one of the lowest points in my life. I wanted to go to my room and die.. I never understood why people especially GUYS would do that, I was honestly a sweet nice but shy person who never hurt a fly... Plus we had to arrange a concert with this particular res.. So at one point the guys stood next to the girls and we had to hold the hand of the guy next to us.. And well .. no one wanted to hold my hand.. The organizers said take her hand to the guy in front, but he actually refused. Ok people wanna cry with me? But ok I guess it made me stronger although it gave me a shit load of issues today, pardon the french...

So.. finally my parents gave one look at me during a holiday and decided ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.. They took me to the best dermatologist around and he prescribed Roaccutane.. I didn't believe it will work you know, coz I had acne for years and years and years.. lol.. I wasn't worried bout the side-effects either, coz I knew that through all the years even though it was incredibly tough I wasn't the kind of person to commit suicide, I have my faith in God.. And I wasn't sexually active as I had NO BOYFRIEND, so I decided to give the treatment a go..

And well I'll tell ya'll what happened in my next post, coz your eyes must be hurting already from all the reading lol... I just wanted to tell you bout my past first, I'm sure Ill come up with more stories about it.. And this blog is really meant for all those people that think they are alone in their pain and struggle with acne.. You really arent alone guys.. I wish I knew that in high school.. I had the worst acne in the whole school of like 800 people.. Can you imagine that?.. BUT I ALWAYS BELIEVED SOMEDAY.. And that single sentence is the reason I went on that treatment and my decisions after that..

So see ya guys soon

xx

Ok as I posted original in blogs, I guess it's time for part 2. Right so I went on Roaccutane 5 YEARS ago for 6 months, starting with 60 mg down to 40 mg and I weighed about 50 kg. I had no terrible side-effects except for dry lips.. My skin gradually improved even a year after treatment.. (which makes me wonder how long this stuff stays in your system).. I can honestly only notice now what a big change it was to my skin, because if you look at yourself in the mirror every day you won't really notice it :hand: But my parents definitely saw the change every holiday they saw me.. Things got better at university, I did well though my confidence still seemed a bit low.. It's easier being negative after so many years of struggling with something.. A year after I used the drug I had a bout of the flu and gave a hard cough, which err led to me popping one of my ribs.. EXTREMELY painful.. I don't blame roaccutane, but I do wonder after I read on here that it causes bone loss.. I also have pains in my chest recently, but have found no cause for it.. So ja, sometimes you wonder..

Anyway the reason I am creating a log is that I am about to go on a second course of Roaccutane :shock: Yep, it seems to have lost it's effect after 5 years and my skin seems to get worse very slowly and oilier too.. So I went to the dermo who said I must go on a 5 month course.. Ya see I want to get married next year (the ugly duckling found her prince charming lol....) and I just want to be over with this whole acne story.. And I never want my skin to get as bad as it was.. So end of this week I'll be starting and Im really nervous this time.. I have a fiance and I have so much to lose now you know.. I don't want to make myself sick and I do want to have kiddies one day..

Plus I have found out my dad has cancer, which I still have to deal with. Was a huge shock.. I don't want to do anything that will cause that in my life you know.. So Im between feelings of going for it or cancelling it..

And interesting fact: Did you guys know Roaccutane was developed for cancer treatment and prevention? It is a chemotherapy drug.. Check it out on www.chemocare.com.. I found it really sadly ironic that I am going on "chemotherapy" drug while my dad has to go for real chemotherapy.. The only difference is I am doing it by choice.. It's a bit mad and scary. :doh:

I'm so sorry that your acne is coming back but since accutane worked for you before I'm sure it will again :) I hope you clear up quickly and congratulations on being engaged. Hope you have a smooth course.

I'm so sorry that your acne is coming back but since accutane worked for you before I'm sure it will again :) I hope you clear up quickly and congratulations on being engaged. Hope you have a smooth course.

Ok I'm glad I found this website, coz I never thought other people experienced and felt the same things I did.. Like ladies the 1. Lighting and 2. Hair thing lol.. In high school I basically lived in the shade lol.. I walked in the shade, sat in the shade, chatted in the shade.. Was like I was a vampire avoiding the sun :| I always stood with my back to the sun, so it would not fall directly onto my face.. And when i did HAVE to be in the sun, I always held a hand up to my face.. I was just terrified to let people see me with the bright sunlight highlighting all the pimples (they prob could anyway lol).. After my first treatment was prob the first time I actually felt comfortable in the sun, though I still catch myself sometimes shielding my face from the sun..

Oh and the hair thing I can relate to as well, my dad always said that I am trying to hide behind my hair.. I had a super long fringe that used to irritate him so much :razz:

Oh and another weird thing.. Don't know if anyone else felt like this.. I was always afraid that once I get a boyfriend I'll like be contagious or something and give him acne and then he'll leave.. Lol am i mad?.. I know acne is caused by a bacterium living in the follicles so I guess it is plausible?..

I guess the only good thing that came out of having acne, is that I learned never ever to judge people on their looks. And I am really proud of that.. I have realised that I see people very different to what other people see.

The really bad thing which I never struggled with before until I had a boyfriend is HELLLOOOO insecurity... We almost broke up many times coz he thought I didn't trust him.. But I just acted jealous and stupid coz I felt so terribly bad about myself.. And even though my skin is not sooo bad (with make-up) I still have to deal with years of these issues.. Talk about emotional baggage huh.. I got about 10 years of suitcases worth lol..

So Ill see how my appointment goes end of the week.. Hold thumbs hey!!

Hey

I'm sorry your high school was so bad. It never got that bad for me, but I don't have severe acne. Just marks that might as well be like little scars, cuz even if one goes away, there are always more coming. So hopefully the tane will fix it. You sound like a good person, and definitely deserve tane to work this time. It sucks though that this is your second time. Have you tried any holistic "cures" and dietary restrictions? A lot of people say that the paleo diet really works. It's unfortunate to have to do, but if it works, you could try it instead of tane, for a month or something.

Good luck

Hey :) ray

Well my dermo told me the first time accutane takes acne away completely for 85% of people using it, but for 15% they will have to come back for a second course.. As I am 24 and getting married next year I really just want my skin to be better. I don't want these horrible breakouts on my wedding day.. It sounds so vain, but I would really just love to have a clear skin for once in my life.. I had acne since I was 13.. So it's been a while. And I tried a lot of different things over the years, but only accutane helped.. I wish there was something else, the side-effects r real scary but anyway I must first see if the doc actually puts me on the stuff end of the week.. Had the blood tests already.

Ok guys so I thought I'd list a few tips and stuff bout accutane.. I found it on a reliable website.. It's not to scare anyone, it's just good to be informed :clap:

1. In more than 30% of patients the following side-effects might occur: Typical retinoid toxicity: Headache, fever, dry skin, dry mucous membranes (mouth, nose), bone pain, nausea and vomiting, rash, mouth sores, itching, sweating, eyesight changes.

2. Then 10-29% of patients have less common side-effects such as: Back pain, abdominal pain, insomnia, anxiety, depression, hair loss, swelling of the feet, abnormal blood tests.

3. In rare cases: Blood clots, pancreatitis and it reacts badly with patients that have leukemia.

TIPS

1. Do not take aspirin or products containing aspirin unless your doc permits it

2. Do not take vitamin supplements containing Vitamin A

3. Do not receive any kind of immunization or vaccination without your doctor's approval while taking accutane.

4. Avoid pregnancy

5. Take medication at the same time every day with a fatty meal or a glass of milk.

6. Avoid grape juice

7. Drink at least two to three quarts of fluid every 24 hours, unless you are instructed otherwise.

8. You may be at risk of infection so try to avoid crowds or people with colds, and report fever or any other signs of infection immediately to your health care provider.

9. Wash your hands often.

10. Get plenty of rest and maintain good nutrition.

11. Blood counts and lipid (fats, cholesterol) levels and liver function all need to be analyzed before treatment begins and regularly during treatment.

Anyway hope it helps.. I got it from www.chemocare.com..

Oh honey! :comfort:

Your first post...that was exactly me in High School. It sounds like you've come a long way in becoming yourself...getting stronger...

I do hope that your Dad gets better.

I do hope that you can take the Accutane when you find out your blood test results on Friday.

I do hope that you have good self-esteem now, and that your fiance values you for yourself and your obvious intelligence. :D

Good luck, and I'm SO glad you started a log.

Welcome to acne.org. :)

Thanks Wynne

I appreciate it! My dad is still awaiting results, he'll prob start with chemo pretty soon.. Will see how it goes.

Hey

What's wrong with grape juice? I think it's gross so I wouldn't drink it anyway, but I was just wondering. When do you start?

Thanks Leily, I appreciate your kind words. You and your family are in my thoughts. I hope everything is going well for you father.

Hey hun,

Thanks for visiting my log & for your nice post! :) I hope you are doing well on Accutane & wish you a smooth journey! It is so hard, but my derm and all the Accutane vets say that it is soooo worth it! :)

Elizabeth

Hey guys thanks for the posts! :D

PS Ray - I have no idea why they say no grape juice, it's from that chemocare website lol.. I'm gonna avoid it anyway..

Stella & Elizabeth - It's a pleasure and thanks

DAY 1

Well TA-TA-TA-DAAAA .. I got my first box of Roaccutane (different name to accutane in SA but exactly the same) and I started yesterday. Took 2 capsules. I am on 40mg per day.. I must go see my dermo again at the end of the month. My cholesterol was a bit high. I think I'm eating too much nice food and take-aways recently lol... I hope it doesn't become a problem.. I'll trying eating more fibrous foods, walnuts and omega-3 supplements plus do exercise as I read that will help lower cholesterol.. The doc said I'll be on this for 5 months.. I wish it was over already sigh... My face is okay I guess.. Its not smooth, small bumps all over as usual, tons of blocked pores and about 4 big pimples I can see at the moment.. I wonder when the accutane will start to work. I'm a bit stressed over my dad, he gonna start chemo soon and I'll go visit him and my mom for a month, I'll try to post from there on log..

Products I'm using:

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer with SPF15

Nutraderm (at nites, same as Cetaphil lotion)

Maybelline make-up

Tea tree oil for outbreaks

Vitamin C supplement only on some days

And must get omega-3 supplement

Birth Control Pills

Hi guys.. so I've been having a very tight feeling in my chest and a stab pain in my side.. I hope it's just anxiety over my dad and stuff... Im very nervous taking accutane again, so it must be that as well..

Just a tip or 2 for those losing hair on accutane (I lost loads of hair the first time):

Use bergamot oil in your shampoo and drink Biotin (Vitamin H) after taking accutane.

xx

wow...thts one long story...im still in high skl and i got the odd comments thrown in my face once in a while but i learn to cope with it. But sumetimes i realise tht sum ppl understand how i feel , like this boy said to me "why am you taking tablets for your skin, you dont need them" i was like "thanks" but i still do.

Im currently taking accutane, im coming up to my 3rd month i think, and im seeing improvements. No more spots. Yay and for the first time ive forgot what they feel like. Alothough i still have the marks theyve left but thtll go soon...

Hope your acne stays away!! And you dad gets better coz i know who it feels like to have a fanily member wiv it..

GOOD LUCK!!! :D

grapefruit inhibits the cytochrome P450 (an enzyme that metabolises drug molecules), so you'll be in a greater risk of toxicity (accutane may not be removed efficiently therefore builds up in the body).

some citrus fruits also inhibits p450 but I just don't recall their name off the top of my head. Smoking also has an effect, I believe.

Good-luck with your course. I think if everything goes, I'll be starting on my very own journey next month (self administered /w low dose, 10mg the first 2 months, 20mg the 3rd month, and 10mg again for 6months). Just need to get my head around the whole hair-loss thing...

HELP...

Ok Im thinking of quitting accutane after 3 days... I have a constant dull headache that won't go away, Im really scared of that intercranial side-effect thingy.. And I have pains all over.. This is so not normal. Plus my eyes feel fuzzy.. I would love acne-free skin, but giving up my health is not worth it...

HELP...

Ok Im thinking of quitting accutane after 3 days... I have a constant dull headache that won't go away, Im really scared of that intercranial side-effect thingy.. And I have pains all over.. This is so not normal. Plus my eyes feel fuzzy.. I would love acne-free skin, but giving up my health is not worth it...

Hi wynne..

I usually stress bout things, but I never ever get headaches like this.. Plus I never used to drink water, maybe one glass a day, but since I started accutane 3 days ago I've been drinking like maybe 6 glasses of water a day.. In fact I feel sick from drinking so much water... My eyes feel weird, like I can't see a 100% clear together with the headache. I have no dry skin, no dry lips.. Oh and I also feel a bit feverish.. I had so much hopes for this treatment, but Im scared now :cry:

Day 4

Im thinking of skipping day 5 coz I can't handle these side pains anymore.. My head is still aching too. I have no dry skin and no dry lips.. Go FIGURE...

If you think the side effects are too much for you, call your doctor. You do need to drink more than six glasses of fluids a day, in a non-accutane day. Now that you're on accutane, try for 10 or more.

If you just can't stomach water...drink fruit juice with seltzer water, club soda, tonic water, flavored waters, Propel. Avoid gatorade. :D Or it might be okay to have one bottle of gatorade or something like that a day.

Good luck!

Please talk to a therapist, too. You're going through such a rough time right now. We are hoping you get better and you also experience clear skin.

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems with side effects right now. Could you try some of that crystal light powder that you mix in water? I also think that taking fish oils helps alot. You can get a bottle of them at Whole Foods or any health food store. Honestly drinking more water might be what you need especially for the headaches. I drink about three liters a day of water and when I drink less I don't feel that great. Try to take care of yourself and if you keep feeling bad go to the doctor and see if maybe you can start with a lower dose. Keep us posted and feel better.