Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sweetheart519

I know they say don't pop...but...

I tried to do the right thing last week. Had these two pimples, one above my mouth, one on my chin. They were pretty inflammed. They formed a white head. I left them alone rather than draining them. They just stayed like that and hurt, didn't heal. So then I said ok, I'm just going to prick them and drain them a bit, to relieve the pressure, and let them heal. So I did that...was able to drain some of it without really disturbing the white head, which was feeling really dry by then but otherwise not changing. I found that they just kept hurting, and kept getting swollen and forming white heads over and over again. I'd try leaving them alone, but they would get worse. So I then tried draining them just a little bit again. By yesterday they were still hurting and were big! I got home last night and was fed up. I just pulled off the dried part, and drained them like I normally do (by pressing gently on the sides). They bled of course, once everything was out of the pore, but by this morning the pain is ALL GONE and I just have 2 small scabs and no more swelling. As long as I don't mess with the scabs, I am left with virtually no scar.

So my question is...does anyone else have this happen! Where if you DON'T drain your pimples, they just get worse and last much longer? I suffered so much embarrassment just trying to leave them alone. A lot of good it did me!

Yes, sometimes it works for me. It depends on the type of acne...if it's a whitehead, I usually DO get rid of it and then it heals up just fine. But it can't be one that has a deep wide base under the skin or else it just will get worse for me. A simple whitehead, sure. :)

yes, popping > not popping for me..even though I know it's a horrible thing to do.

lucky for me i've never really scarred but there have been times when I pop and then a get a few more in the same area..bacteria spreading i'd imagine.

here's my choice

- having to be extremly careful to pop and be left with something that heals for a very long time

- let it go without touching and have it heal for an even longer time

so i just let them go these days, my skin is damaged beyond belief from previous BP use anyways so i don't need giant gaping inflammed holes from popping on top of that problem

i am a professional picker. LOL

i pick everything that can be picked.

in fact, i used my blemish extractor moments ago to extract a small clogged pore on my forehead.

i just do it like the derm does... works like a charm. except i use a sanitized needle instead of a razor blade like the derm.

as long as you are gentle and know what you are doing... i think it is better to extract and get all the pus out.

after you go in for acne surgery a few times at the derm... you'll know how to do it... it's pretty simple. your skin heals a lot faster that way.

you dont want to pop... you want to gently extract in a sanitary manner... that is the difference.

i sterilize all my stuff before and after use.

I get brown marks if I pick. I get brown marks if I don't.

I find if I don't squeeze, they can sometimes hang around for ages. Is this indication I have bad cell turnover or something? Some people think a pimple that lasts a week is a long time. I've had the same ones (fairly big white heads, not even cysts) last easily for 2-3 weeks.

I've never had professional extractions so I don't know what the 'proper' way of doing it is. I just make sure I wash my hand, do a warm compress and use clean tissue. And then dab with antiseptic.

I'm trying to pick less now though as I hear accutane can cause worse/more scarring.

I usually pop big pimples after the inflammation reduced and the white head appeared. It's much easier to let it dry, but I always get red mark which hard to fade.

If I didn't pop, the inflammation reduced but the pimples didn't dry at all, so I finally popped it out and leave a big mark.

What do you usually apply on your pimple to prevent the mark after popping it?

I also has a lot of whiteheads which can't be cleared by exfoliating alone. No other way to get rid of it except by extracting it, but some left red marks which hard to fade.

i get scars whether i pop them or not.

except, popping cures the bitch faster, more often than not.

i've learned that the pus is food for bacteria. drain that shit if you can! especially if it's already a white head.

pop and disinfect.

rinse n repeat

Guest yankeemix

I've learned to not pop my pimples anymore..Just leave them alone. I apply ACV with water on a Q-tip and dab a few drops on it. It looks better the next day.

squeeze that shit out. Pus has living bacteria mixed in it, and you don't want them to replicate in there.

Like a fool, I popped up to 4 whiteheads that were on my face. Usually the pimple swells, then a scab appears as the result. If I don't touch the scab, it heals on its own; but, another pimple takes its place. So I have no luck :rolleyes:

I wonder if blackheads/whiteheads extractor really helps extracting pimples/whiteheads better than the hands. Big pimples is easier to pop using clean hands and tissue, but whiteheads are sometimes too small to be popped by hands alone. Need to use nail, but nail is evil. They are guilty for the red marks afterwards.

Right now, the best thing I can do is preventing new whiteheads to appear. I use peel-off mask (I'm Asian so I choose black mask from Kose), applying Benzoyl Peroxide, use egg-white mask everyday, and just recently use TTO. I don't know exactly which one helps, but my whiteheads are slowly healed.

i tried not popping it, since everyone tells me it'll scar, which is true.

thing is when the pimple gets "ripe" it'll pop on its own, even if i dont want it to, and because its gotten so big by then it leaves an even bigger scar.

so recently i just pop it, then dab alcohol. hurts like hell! but it closes the wound faster then i forget about it.

I get brown marks if I pick. I get brown marks if I don't.

I find if I don't squeeze, they can sometimes hang around for ages. Is this indication I have bad cell turnover or something? Some people think a pimple that lasts a week is a long time. I've had the same ones (fairly big white heads, not even cysts) last easily for 2-3 weeks.

I've never had professional extractions so I don't know what the 'proper' way of doing it is. I just make sure I wash my hand, do a warm compress and use clean tissue. And then dab with antiseptic.

I'm trying to pick less now though as I hear accutane can cause worse/more scarring.