Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
french_muffin

Local application of Glycolic acid

I have black marks on either sideof my face. I know Hydroquinone help with hyper pigentation but it takes freakin long time plus it irritates my skin. I was wondering if i could apply glycolic acid 50% locally i.e. only on the spots. Will it be good ?????

No. That would be ill-advised to apply such a strong peel solution to your face particularly as a spot treatment.

If you use a 10% glycolic acid preparation daily for a month, you are likely to see considerable improvement in your hyperpigmentation.

No. That would be ill-advised to apply such a strong peel solution to your face particularly as a spot treatment.

If you use a 10% glycolic acid preparation daily for a month, you are likely to see considerable improvement in your hyperpigmentation.

50% is too strong for once a week. I'd go with Wynnes advice on this.

...Maybe twice in a month...? (I'm unsure)

Not only is it too strong for once a week, it is too strong unless you've also tried the 10% for a while, then the 30% for a while, then the 40%, and then the 50%.

Ill advised.

Not only is it too strong for once a week, it is too strong unless you've also tried the 10% for a while, then the 30% for a while, then the 40%, and then the 50%.

Ill advised.

I have 50% with me right now. Can the liquid be diluted to bring down the strength??? I don't wanna shell out extra for 10% strength.

Yes, you can spot treat with glycolic acid as recommended on professional websites and as I've done personally. However, as Wynne said, you should start with a lower concentration and work up to 50%. And yes, you can dilute the 50% solution with pure water. I'm not going to suggest the proportions to use because different AHA/BHA solutions may say they are 50%, but they may be buffered differently; as such, one manufacturer's 50% solution may "burn" more than another's.

You will have to experiment to find the perfect mixture, but as a suggestion to start, you might try a 1/2 & 1/2 solution and leave on for 1-2 minutes. If it is too weak, use a 2/3 glycolic and 1/3 water ratio. Over time, you can increase either the concentration and/or the amount of time you leave the mixture on your face.

Final words . . . . . You can apply 1-2 dabs of the mixture with a Q-tip if it is to a small localized area. Treat the spot once a week. If your skin is not sensitive and you don't notice any peeling whatsoever, you can do it twice a week but absolutely no more. Also, only mix a small amount of the solution in a clean container. That way, you have the original concentration to increase the strength of the mixture over time. Lastly, you MUST use a sunscreen and keep an eye on your skin. If you notice the treated spots are different in color from the rest of your face, you may need to ease up or treat the entire face once in a while to maintain an even skin tone.

Good luck.

Hi again! :)

I went to Platinum Skin Care's website in my search for diluting glycolic acid. This is what someone asked about a 60% solution:

wondering whether there is a way to dilute the 60% glycolic's intensity rather than having to throw it away -- I'd hate to waste it! Thanks much

Good news from the lab! You can dilute it 2/3 rd peel solution with 1/3 Aloe or distilled water to weaken the formulation! I would just use my gauze pad and apply the 7 drops of solution and then add on a few drops of aloe or water, then apply! Have a wonderful day!

you can dilute the GA, but you must use DISTILLED WATER and not Tap Water (tap water contains chlorine, sodium barium ect)

i think pharmacists have distilled water (they use it all the time, but i think they sell it aswell)