Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Somethings. Gotta. Give. ARRRRRGH!

Okay, seriously. I'm a young guy (not stating my age..but im under 16) and right now im seriously goin through hell that I dont need in my life. Please, dont reply like "dont worry, little boy, puberty passes..." cuz that'll really anger me. Yeah, whatever, im going through puberty. So are all my friends. But NONE of their acne has anything on mine. Seriously..at most my friends would get like one zit a week and it would go the next day...I have massive patches of acne on random areas of my face that I cant get rid of! Arrrrgh....me and my friends all started 2ndry school last year (im from England...to all you Americans 2ndry school means middle school) and, not bragging....I was actually pretty good looking last year. I got alotta girls. This year...omg....seriously, acne is ruining my life. I used Clearasil which did nothing but peel and burn my skin which took days to repair, im currently using Clean and Clear from Nuetrogena and its not doing like ANY help...and I doubt my parents are gonna be okay with that whole regimen thing (you know..a teenager buying anything that ends with "xide" over a counter is not gonna be well recieved by their parents) and I need DESPERATE help. But remember...im from England, UK so I have no access to ProActiv which sucks cuz I hear its AMAZING but its only available in the USA. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease....somebody have pitty on me!!! lol...but seriously, somebody help me. Im so stressed out and depressed by this when im supposed to be enjoying school...

What's wrong with buying Benzoyl Peroxide exactly? I find it impossible to understand why they would be upset at you for buying it... And you're not missing out on anything with that Proactive crap.

Proactive (or whatever it is called) may be USA-only, but Accutane isn't! Although I'm not sure how severe your acne is or if it would warrant accutane. There are loads of creams that can help a lot and are prescription, but I would say on the whole clearasil and it's family of over-the-counter products are not very effective.

As an initial step, if it is bothering you that much, see your doctor.

I dunno its just...my parents would think it was like a little too far to purchase some kinda oxide thing (lol, i cant remember the name) ....is there not like any pills that you can get from a pharmacy for this kind of stuff? Incase you're wondering how bad my acne really is, I have moderate / small ammounts of acne on my forehead..some above my nose...mainly above, around and underneath my mouth and some tiny spots in other random places on my face that arent noticable.

In the US, benzoyl peroxide (I believe that's what you're thinking of :)) can be picked up from any drugstore by anyone, just like the face washes you've been using. In the UK it's only a little different in that you actually have to ask a pharmacist for it, you don't need a prescription though. Benzoyl peroxide (BP as we call it here on acne.org) is very good at treating inflamed, red acne. By following Dan Kern's Regimen, I've had very good results with clearing up my moderate acne. My mom actually has been using benzoyl peroxide all over her face for years and years, it's not something most parents disapprove of ;).

If you're looking for pills to treat acne, you need to see a doctor about those, those are prescription only. There are antibiotics which is what you will probably get at first, but if your acne is severe enough, you might get a prescription for roaccutane, which is basically the most effective acne treatment out there but also has the potential for some serious side effects.

I think that getting benzoyl peroxide (a 2.5% or 5% gel or cream) is the easiest place to start, since you don't need to make an appointment to see a doctor. Those washes you've been using are pretty much garbage--I never had any luck at clearing up my acne by using different medicated face washes, they are drying but don't leave enough of the medication behind on your skin to make much of a difference. See http://www.acne.org/regimen.html and http://www.acne.org/messageboard/UK-Regime...pplies-f42.html for instructions on how to do the regimen and what kind of products you can get in the UK for it.

young man, from reading your post I see how badly this is effecting you. I also kind of pick up a vibe where you want your acne ended NOW. I will be blunt, I doubt highly that will happen.

For many ( me included) it can be long battle but you are in a much better postion than I was for the last 30 years. The products available now and the interaction on the internet go a long long way in getting the help you need.

You seem already to be dismissing things that may be your answer. By "xides" I guesss you are referring to BP? BP is extremely effective in controlling acne. A very easy starting point would be to go back to acne.org's home page and click on Dan's regimen. It's working very very well for many people. Are there other products, regimens ect. that will work for you? More than likely yes but you need to start some where and Dan's regimen couldn't be spelled out easier. Let's not forget all of the support you can receive from other commentors, moderators or Dan himself if you have questions or are coming across problems.

Grab the bull by the horns, take a deep breath and go at this with everything you have. This is your life and the more effort you put into it the better the outcome will be.

Best to ya

^I concur with the two above posters recommendations to try the BP regimen! If that is ineffective, you could ask your family to assist you with getting an appointment to see a dermatologist, or a referral to one from your GP. No doubt your GP and the derm will be able to allay your family's fears about acne treatments, and probably will be able to tell them how extremely stressful and emotionally damaging acne is to someone of any age.

Please remember that any treatment will take time to see results. We are hoping for you!

thankyou so much guys, keep it coming! can somebody tell me..how long does it take before the BP regimen REALLY kicks in and clears you up and how often do you apply it? Cuz Im going on a school trip to Germany for 4 days next Sunday so id like to be cleared up within that time. some more info on BP would be great =)

There's nothing out there that's going to clear you up in time for your trip next week, unfortunately. Dan's regimen isn't a quick fix by any means, but if you follow it closely, you'll probably be very clear or close to it in a timespan of 1-3 months. Benzoyl peroxide is okay at making existing pimples shrink faster, but in large quantities, it's very good at preventing new acne, so you never have the bump to begin with. Unfortunately, to use large quantities without making your face super red and peely, you have to use small amounts and gradually increase it, so you still have acne over that period of time.

If you have any questions about the regimen, you should read everything you can since most questions are answered somewhere on the site. Start at http://www.acne.org/regimen.html, watch the videos on how Dan does it, too, read the FAQs, the whole works.

just start using this BP for now, and try to get your parents to take you to a dermatologist if that doesn't work. you should start seeing improvement from the BP relatively quickly. but it won't clear the acne immediately.