Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WildFlower

Dr. Ian's FAT SMASH diet

Has anyone been on Dr. Ian's Fat Smash Diet? If so, what effect did it have on your acne? I'm thinking of buying this book but I thought I'd ask first what people have to say about it. I don't need to lose weight but I do need to change my unhealthy eating habbits. It has four phases and the first phase (the Detox) seems the hardest because you can only eat fruits and vegetables for nine days.

What'd you think? Will it help my mild acne?

It might. It depends on what the diet is like and what you're sensitive to.

The nine-day fruit/veggie only phase may provide some temporary relief. My acne always cleared up temporarily when I fasted.

I have never heard of the diet myself, so I can't really comment on if it may or may not help acne. I can say, though, that in my experience, it is ulitmately less of a hassle to figure out on your own what you can/can't eat instead of trying to follow a prescripted diet. This is because fat-loss diets may allow foods that are contributing to your acne. The one diet that I believe may be beneficial to follow directly is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet as this targets digestion instead of weight-loss; or the paleo diet as it avoids just about every single potential acne-causing food.

If you could tell us more about the diet, we could maybe give you more feedback.

Okay, so it wouldn't be my first choice for an acne diet since it allows foods like granualted sugar, "a variety of whole-grain cereals," pasta, bread, and diet soda?! I also see absolutely no reason to limit your daily fat consumption to 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. There is also no logical reason to drink skim milk, eat low-fat yogurt or egg-whites without the yolks. Just my opinion, but this diet won't do anything for acne.

The "guiding principles" appear to be portion control, not skipping meals and exercise. While all of these are fine and dandy, they probably won't clear acne alone.

thats a pretty terrible diet.... dont suggest it at all, I really dont even see how you could lose weight on that diet which is its intended purpose

are there still dieticians/nutritionists in this world who still believe that fat intake is the key problem of being fat instead of excessive carb intake ? get out of the 1980's