Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maya

Camellia Oil! Better than Jojoba and Emu oil 4 dryer skins?

I have been reading about Camellia oil. Posters on the healthboards have been raving about it. I have also heard that the BEST brand is the Silkia one becasue it is very pure. On the healthboards, posters were saying that using this alone, theire wrinkles were greatly helped within a couple of months, and their faces had a real glow to them.

Apparently it is excellent for anti-aging, and is espe ciallygood for dry and mature skins (so those with oily skins - may not be suitable).

Apparently, it is meant to be the most transdermal oil out there, so this oil may prove to be excellent for those of us who do peels regularly and other stuff that dries up the skin.

I'm going to buy a 2oz bottle from ebay for $12.50 +$5 shipping to the UK - I'm going to use it on my face after peels and also on my stomach stretchmarks. Supposed to be good for hair too!

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...owpics=1&stab=2

Taken from: http://www.goldportbeauty.com/camellia_oil.htm

What it is:

(On this site, it's $17 for 2oz and $31 for 4oz - but they have specials at the moment - buy 3, get 1 free)

Silkiaâ„¢ camellia oil is derived from the seeds of camellias, a kind of evergreen shrub with shiny leaves and rose-like flowers. It is obtained by mechanical (cold) pressing of the camellia seeds, followed by advanced scientific refining processes including degreasing, deodorizing and filtering to produce a 100% safe, pure natural oil free from preservatives, odour and solvent residues. Silkiaâ„¢ camellia oil is carefully and scientifically filtered in such a way that it is odourless and pale yellowish in color without losing its original revitalizing nutrients. Anecdotal evidence suggests that camellia oil is a most effective multi-purpose moisturizer. Used by women in East Asia to nourish skin and hair for centuries, it is a tried and true, authentic anti-aging product with a proven history of efficacy. It has been acclaimed as a "Miracle Oil".

What it does

Silkiaâ„¢ camellia oil delivers the benefits of Retinol, Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) and other chemical acid based anti-aging products, but without their irritating side effects and sun sensitivity problems. It works wonders on your skin in the following ways:

Moisturize - it penetrates quickly and deeply, giving your skin optimum hydration without a greasy feel. Your skin will feel remarkably refreshed, smooth and firm.

Replenish - it dramatically revives skin clarity and improves skin resilience, giving your skin a supple and radiant glow you can see and feel. It endows your skin with a luminous silkiness that no other product can match today.

Restore - it eliminates or visibly diminishes fine lines and small wrinkles and reduces the appearance of pores.

Protect - it contains Vitamin A and E, a natural antioxidant, safeguarding your skin from the damaging effects of UV/environmental exposure and free radicals.

It offers similar benefits for hair. It stimulates hair growth and slows the graying of hair. It adds shine, softness and smoothness to your hair.

It prevents stretch marks such as those acquired during pregnancy. It helps diminish or completely eliminate stretch marks.

Why it works

Silkiaâ„¢ camellia oil delivers dramatic results for the following reasons:

It is the most penetrative oil. It is composed mainly of Oleic acid (almost 82%), a mono-unsaturated fatty acid and other essential fatty acids such as Linoleic acid. Its Oleic acid composition is the highest among all natural oils. Studies of Oleic and other fatty acids have proven that they are an excellent emollient, and a remarkable natural agent for the retention and enhancement of skin moisture. A lack of lipid or fatty substances will impair the skin's ability to retain moisture. These substances in human skin decline as we age and this is a key factor in drier skin as we mature.

Studies have demonstrated that Oleic acid has unparalleled penetration power, capable of permeating deeply into the lower layers of the stratum corneum to greatly enhance the beneficial effects of collagen and elastin, i.e. rejuvenating cell growth to give skin support and flexibility. Oleic acid is known as an excellent transdermal carrier of cell rebuilding nutrients and bioactive compounds (collagen and elastin) into the skin to repair the damage caused by dryness, sun exposure and other factors. The result is restoration of the skin's elasticity, significant improvement in skin texture as well as elimination or remarkable reduction of fine lines and small wrinkles.

In the same token, camellia oil's penetrative capability into skin tissue cells stimulates the growth of hair follicles, promotes healthy hair growth and in some cases restores hair loss.

It is compatible with your skin. The human skin is a natural filtering system that best accepts skincare products with natural ingredients - ingredients similar to those formed by the body itself. Your skin will not reject these substances, therefore boosting its ability to utilize them and hence replenish itself. Oleic acid is the main fatty acid in human skin lipids (ingredients found in skin including fatty acids and fats). It is the main fatty acid produced by the human sebaceous or oil glands. This means that the composition of camellia oil is very similar to that of the fatty acids of human skin. As a result, camellia oil can be easily and effectively absorbed into the skin to work in synergy with the skin's own natural system to nourish cell membranes, replenish skin lipids, accelerate skin rejuvenation and stimulate hair growth. Camellia oil's natural ingredients are able to restore and revitalize skin and hair from the inside out.

Why it's better

Silkiaâ„¢camellia oil is more effective than other natural oils and skincare products on the market today because:

It is more penetrating and hydrating without greasy residues. Studies have proven that no skincare products can work unless they penetrate multiple layers of the skin barrier. Camellia oil is able to penetrate deep down the skin's lower layers to restore moisture and elasticity as well as replenish skin lipids which are essential to prevent skin water loss. On the other hand, many water- and chemical-based creams sold on the market today cannot penetrate beyond the outermost layers of the skin and therefore have only transitory surface effects.

It is more cost effective. It delivers dramatic results at less than half the cost, or even a fraction of the cost of brand name anti-aging creams at department stores.

It won't clog pores or cause acne because skin tissue responds better to the molecular structure of fatty acids found in camellia oil.

It does not cause any irritation or allergic reactions such as stinging, peeling, flaking and rash, unlike most Retinol, AHA and chemical acid based anti-aging creams. Completely safe and gentle, it can be used for all skin types. You can use it every day and night, even around the eyes.

It does not contain any artificial fragrances, colorings, solvent residues, detergents and detergent-like chemicals which may degrade the skin's ---natural protective function in the long run. It is not tested on animals.

-----------------

OK, will report in when I get this.

Sounds really nice. I look forward to hearing your results!

Regarding Acne I found this:

Camelia Oil is a great antioxident and moisturizer for any part of the body. It not only increases skin tenderness and texture, but also removes wrinkles, freckles, acne, skin disorders and has an outstanding bleaching effect. Since camelia seed oil carries antiseptic properties, it is one of the most effective treatments for common acneproblems and burns. It is also an excellent sun block product under extreme dry conditions.

Did some research on cosmeticscop.com and here's what I found:

Camellia sasanqua oil: Plant extract that has emollient properties for skin. There is a small amount of research showing it to have anti-inflammatory properties as well (Source: Phytochemistry, May 1998, pages 301–305).

Oleic Acid: mild surfactant

excerpt of Surfactant: Acronym for surface active agent. Surfactants degrease and emulsify oils and fats and suspend soil, allowing them to be washed away, as laundry products do. Surfactants are used in most forms of cleansers and many of them are considered gentle and effective for most skin types. There are several types of surfactants that can be sensitizing, drying, and irritating for skin.

excerpt of Linoleic Acid: Unsaturated fatty acid used as an emollient and thickening agent in cosmetics. There is some research showing it to be effective in cell regulation and skin-barrier repair, as well as an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory (Sources: Archives of Dermatological Research, July 1998, pages 375–381; Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, March 1998, pages 56–58; Journal of Investigative Dermatology, May 1996, pages 1096–1101; and Seminars in Dermatology, June 1992, pages 169–175).

Well, I just read a long thread on the Health Boards about this oil and it seems people are nuts about it. It seems very inexpensive for how much people are loving it. It is half as expensive as the Intense Gel for the more expensive brand. A couple people tried the less expensive brand and didn't like it as well as the silkia camellia oil though. Only one person on the thread broke out from it otherwise acne prone people seemed to have no break outs. As soon as my current stuff runs out I am going to definately try this.

I just tried to order from the ebayer - looks like she may have run out of stock - will wait for her email.

I agree Amoira. the IG is expensive for regular use - I'd like to find different options and cut down on some regular costs!

I would not replace the Intense gel. They are different because the CO can be use to replace your moisturizer in the moring. I just think the price is very good, and was making that comparison.

Well, I've ordered it as I also think it's a good price. Much better value than Emu and if the CO works as well, then that would be great.

I would use the CO for my stomach stretchmarks (already using the TCA complex, microcrystals, papaya soap and cooper peptide tri reduction) as the Camelia oil is meant to be very good for the stretchmarks ..

I would still want to use the IG, but I would like to limit the number of times I use it (maybe just use it alternate days coz it's costly) - the I could alternate with the CO and see how that goes.

Anyone received theirs yet? I'm curious as to how it feels!!

On this site: it says it's a very good hair conditioner (I need that too)

http://www.naturaljapanesebeauty.com/njb.page2.html

Because Camellia oil is high (90%) in olein acids and glycerides it will add shine and conditioners to your hair while also treating damage from perming and colourants. The hair cuticle under microscopic inspection shows a noticeably smoother appearance after use with camellia oil. It works particularly well on coarse hair. Can be used for relief of itchy scalp due to allergies or dandruff. For skin-care it can be used as a moisturizer to help dry skin, and after-bathing as a body-oil. For those who do toiletry making it is a lovely addition to lotions and soaps. Camellia oil added to massage oil or carrier oil in aromatherapy adds extra-rich and nourishing properties. Non-fragranced.

Being the product junkie that I am, my bottle is on the way. I read on one message board that a couple of people had some trouble with breakouts due to the stearic acid that is in the formulation. Have any of you guys found any info on this?

Over at sage's site it shows stearic acid with a breakout potential of 2, so I guess it will be a try-and-see kind of thing. :-k I emailed the company that makes the oil to get their information.

Hey Maya...since we are all opening cans of worms with new products, I've heard that neem oil is fantastic too. Since you are half indian, I assume you've heard of it? I've heard it's one of the best oils out there.

A friend of mine uses it and loves it ... hmmmm ... time for a little research .. :-k

Got this note from the company:

Hi Misty,

Thank you for your interest in our product. Our camellia oil is 100% pure. It contains the following essential fatty acids:

Oleic acid

Palmitic acid

Linoleic acid

Stearic acid

The oil normally will not cause any breakouts. Cases of breakouts among our customers are extremely rare.

Please let us know if you have further questions. Thank you.

Best regards,

The Goldport Beauty Sales Team

714 529 8668

http://www.goldportbeauty.com

I've run out of Emu oil so I bought this oil from ebay too. I'll let you know how it works when I get it. I hope it's as good as they claim. smile.gif