Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spotarella

Acne and its relation to polycystic ovary syndrome

I have been researching this as my mother had it, and am thinking of getting checked at the doctors incase this is the reason for my acne coming on in the past year.

The symptoms are;

infrequent menstrual periods, no menstrual periods, and/or irregular bleeding

infertility (not able to get pregnant) because of not ovulating

increased hair growth on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes—a condition called hirsutism (HER-suh-tiz-um)

ovarian cysts

acne, oily skin, or dandruff

weight gain or obesity, usually carrying extra weight around the waist

insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes

high cholesterol

high blood pressure

male-pattern baldness or thinning hair

patches of thickened and dark brown or black skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs

skin tags, or tiny excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck area

pelvic pain

anxiety or depression due to appearance and/or infertility

sleep apnea—excessive snoring and times when breathing stops while asleep

Now i have infrequent periods, and more hair growth than most women (although that could also be down to smoking) i have acne, oily skin, and suffer with dandruff if i dont use the special shampoo, i carry extra weight around my waist although im not overweight, also the condition does tend to pass on through genes (my mother had it and only found out when she failed at getting pregnant for over 6 years)

I think its worth checking out, as there is medication to trest the different areas in which you are affected. So if you have the symptoms as above, and know of someone in your family that has it, you never know...

Spotarella

Both of my college roommates have PCOS (one was tested and one I don't think was).

Both simply treat it with BC.

In the case of one, she didn't know that she had it (she had the infrequent periods), and found out when she went on BC (the ring) for its intended purpose. I found out she went on BC about a month after she was on it, and when we talked about it, I had mentioned that I noticed her acne was much improved.

My other roommate has known about her PCOS, its relationship to her weight for years. She has been on and off birth control based on the whims of her insurance company. When her insurance kicks back in she waits until her next period comes naturally. to start her new pack- often five months after her last period! It was junior or sophomore year that I noticed that her acne was better: it was one of those off BC times too. She's actually curious if the BC is really necessary at all, as she's a lesbian and really doesn't care if her uterus is messed up, as long as it doens't hurt her otherwise. Why bother with the hormones to have more periods when the natural ones are a cakewalk? No facial hair to speak of, as she is of german descent and is quite blond.

I have had bad acne that's mostly gone in the past year(yay regimen!) and facial hair. I get about ten periods a year that are about 5 weeks apart with an annual skip that seems to have disappeared. I thought I was weird until I knew about my roommates' lack of cycles- not having periods for whole semesters!

You could loook into testing, yes, and maybe PCOS is family related, but they'll probably just put you on BC if you aren't on it.

I hae a feeling I have PCOS. I have only a few of those symptoms, but I know PCOS can be hereditary and im PRETTY sure my mom has it. I remember when I was little, a cyst grew on her ovary but wouldn't burst, and it ended up growing to the size of a watermellon (then it finally burst and she had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery)... Unless, can you still get cysts on your ovaries without having PCOS?

Either way, if I do have it, i'm on birth control anyways now so all is good lol.

10 years ago when I was 15, I had an ultrasound that confirmed some cysts in my ovaries and the doctor wanted to give me some BC pills (I think it was called Androkur or something which I stopped after a while as I was getting headaches and worse acne breakouts). I asked my mom if that meant I had PCOS. She almost went crazy and she said 'What are you talking about!? This does not mean they are polycystic ovaries, just some cysts.' So, I believed her and never mentioned it again. She was also adamant that I never go on BC pill ever because they have harmones and blah blah blah... So, I continued treating my skin with local treatments only. I finally made the big decision to get a BC pill recently - to my mom's dissapointment of course, and I've just started the 4th month now.

I haven't been tested for more cysts again since then (I also have some excess hair all over my body but I'm reaaally skinny) but I'm planning to very soon!

I have 2 questions though if someone could answer...

-was my mom really right to say those cysts didn't mean I have PCOS?

-is it normal to get worse breakouts in the first few months of the pill? I broke out horribly the first 3 months just after starting a new pill strip. I'm on the 4th month now and had only 2 new spots so far though, thank God ( or maybe it's because I stopped eating chocolate for the last 3 weeks, too LOL. They say you need 2-4 weeks to get the chocolate completely out of your system!)

10 years ago when I was 15, I had an ultrasound that confirmed some cysts in my ovaries and the doctor wanted to give me some BC pills (I think it was called Androkur or something which I stopped after a while as I was getting headaches and worse acne breakouts). I asked my mom if that meant I had PCOS. She almost went crazy and she said 'What are you talking about!? This does not mean they are polycystic ovaries, just some cysts.' So, I believed her and never mentioned it again. She was also adamant that I never go on BC pill ever because they have harmones and blah blah blah... So, I continued treating my skin with local treatments only. I finally made the big decision to get a BC pill recently - to my mom's dissapointment of course, and I've just started the 4th month now.

I haven't been tested for more cysts again since then (I also have some excess hair all over my body but I'm reaaally skinny) but I'm planning to very soon!

I have 2 questions though if someone could answer...

-was my mom really right to say those cysts didn't mean I have PCOS?

-is it normal to get worse breakouts in the first few months of the pill? I broke out horribly the first 3 months just after starting a new pill strip. I'm on the 4th month now and had only 2 new spots so far though, thank God ( or maybe it's because I stopped eating chocolate for the last 3 weeks, too LOL. They say you need 2-4 weeks to get the chocolate completely out of your system!)

blood tests only eliminate other possibilites, but there is no blood test for pcos. an ultrasound is the only way to know for sure, according to my endo. she thinks i may have pcos, my ONLY symptom is acne, and my blood results were all normal.