Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dyst0pia

Hydroquinone - Carcinogen?

I came across an article today on MedicineNet.com that was talking about hydroquinone, that the FDA is proposing a ban on it because it may cause cancer!

Okay, so the first thought that went into my mind was 'what *doesn't* cause cancer these days?' but in the article, it also mentionned hydroquinone causing something called 'ochronosis', which is another skin condition where 'dome-shaped yellowish & grayish spots' appear on the skin. Ew.

You can read it here: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art...rticlekey=64167

I don't mean to cause any panic or anything, but does it sound like we should be worried about using this to treat our red spots ?

Any thoughts, opinions etc. would be much appreciated.

Again, I hope I have not caused too much alarm by posting this and I apologize if I do.

it is claimed to be carcinogenic but only in large amount s ie large % and not the 2-4% that u get. It should also not be used for more than 4 months continuous. This is what i was told by a derm

it is claimed to be carcinogenic but only in large amount s ie large % and not the 2-4% that u get. It should also not be used for more than 4 months continuous. This is what i was told by a derm

Thats what I heard as well, expect that you should never use hydroquinone continous for over a year and should stay out of the sun whilst using it as well...

Although I guess thats why hydroquinone is now banned from sales in the Netherlands...