Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When do you take it, and how much?

Some advice for insomnia is:

If you can't sleep, get out of bed. If you stay in bed, your mind comes to associate sleeplessness with your bed, further promoting more sleeplessness.

avoid for a few hours (at least 3, maybe 4) before bedtime: caffeine (duh...lol) exercise, alcohol, and food.

If you are worried about something specific, get out of bed, write it out in a journal, or just on some paper or something. It helps prevent the "looping" thoughts, and allows your mind to let it go more easily.

Drink something warm, or increase the temperature of your house (assuming it's not too hot already lol) to help your body relax.

I've suffered from circadian rythem disorder all my life. I've tried all kinds of sleeping pills, none would work..very depressing. Until recently..I began 150 mcg of Melatonin and it's working wonderfully. If Melatonin works for me it should work for anyone. I buy them at Walmart, 150 300mcg pills for about $4. Since I need only a half..they will last me almost a year!..yay!

Melatonin is over the counter. I have read and cannot remember where (since one of my patients takes it) that lower doses are better and don't cause as much rebound problem with sleep.

Synthetic melatonin mimics the activity the hormone melatonin that naturally increases just before someone's natural bedtime.

I would try small microgram doses before you try 1mg doses. 0.1 to 0.5 or however supplied. I don't remember the dose my patient takes, but I believe it was 0.4 mg. It works like a charm. :)

Melatonin is over the counter. I have read and cannot remember where (since one of my patients takes it) that lower doses are better and don't cause as much rebound problem with sleep.

Synthetic melatonin mimics the activity the hormone melatonin that naturally increases just before someone's natural bedtime.

I would try small microgram doses before you try 1mg doses. 0.1 to 0.5 or however supplied. I don't remember the dose my patient takes, but I believe it was 0.4 mg. It works like a charm. :)

I've read that melatonin is anti-androgenic. Have you notice any positive effect of melatonin for your skin? I was thinking of taking some for that reason.

Do you know if that can be taken with Celexa and Welbutrin?

yes try melatonin and start exercising during the day, also clean your room and house it will give you this relaxed feeling like everything is done instead of going to sleep with clutter all around you.

Insomnia is a bitch and is usually part of depression.

a regular sleep cycle will really help as well.

sometimes i like to think of my happiest memorys before going to bed, it really calms me gives me something to think about, besides anything that would usually be worring me plus if you are depressed you might even be reminded of how beautiful life can be, when you come to that realization a genuine peace will come over you, well it doesnt always work but when you got nothing else, give that a shot.

Molly..if you are on antidepressants you may want to check with your doctor first.

It helps with skin? didnt know..i just began taking Melatonin for a week now. I havent noticed anything skin-wise yet.

DRUG INTERACTIONS: Before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription medications you may use, especially of: immunosuppressants (e.g., azathioprine, cyclosporine), corticosteroids (e.g., prednisone). Also report use of drugs that cause drowsiness such as: sleeping pills, anti-anxiety drugs, narcotic pain relievers (e.g., codeine), sedatives, psychiatric medicines, anti-seizure drugs, muscle relaxants, antihistamines that cause drowsiness (e.g., diphenhydramine), herbs that cause drowsiness (e.g., valerian, kava). Check all nonprescription medicine labels carefully, especially cough-and-cold preparations since many contain drowsiness-causing antihistamines (e.g., diphenhydramine). Consult your pharmacist if you are uncertain.

More info: http://www.medicinenet.com/melatonin-oral/article.htm#Uses

Melatonin has worked wonders for me.....benadryl and other over the counter sleep aids (which are all basically the same chemically as Benadryl) have not helped at all

Aye, all those warnings are true. If any concerns, always check with your pharmacist to be absolutely sure. But my patient is on considerably more psychiatric meds than Celexa and Wellbutrin (Seroquel and Ativan and Zoloft and some others I can't remember) and she is just fine. She's also on multiple anti-hypertensives, and a diuretic.

Aye, all those warnings are true. If any concerns, always check with your pharmacist to be absolutely sure. But my patient is on considerably more psychiatric meds than Celexa and Wellbutrin (Seroquel and Ativan and Zoloft and some others I can't remember) and she is just fine. She's also on multiple anti-hypertensives, and a diuretic.

OMG thats a lot o medication!

OMG thats a lot o medication!

melatonin - beats every OTC sleep pills

oh, and post-its to write everything that's bothering me

after every hour, get up and do something, not something really productive though, just go pee or something

exercise vigorously a few hours before bedtime

don't have an empty stomach

warm shower (to cleanse face at night)

almost always makes me fall asleep within 10-15 minutes even if i had 6 or 9 hours of sleep the night before