Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mylimage

Starting spiro today

I went to the derm today to get on accutane. I have tried EVERYTHING. Im 37 and couldn't take it anymore. If my acne was mild, I wouldn't have asked for it, but it is getting worse. I have cysts up and down my jaw line, neck and chin. My appointment was with the NP, not my regular derm (omg- he was so good looking!). Anyway, I told him about my frustration with my acne, having tried everything. He said it would be 2 months before he could give me a script for accutane (with the ipledge bs). So I asked if I could have Spiro in the meantime- and he said yes!

I have wanted to take spiro for over a year. My derm said no last year (tested my hormone levels and said they were normal) and my GP said no because acne is an off label use.

So, I am sooo happy. I am hoping this is a miracle drug for me. I am starting at 50mg a day. I see the cute NP again in 2 weeks and he will do blood work for accutane (if I still want to consider it) and up my dosage for spiro.

Today is my second day of spiro. After all I have read, I honestly didn't think I would notice anything right away. Unless it is the niacinimde that I started taking last week, I am noticing a difference. My skin texture feels different, escpecially my back and chest. It feels silky smooth (it always felt rough and bumpy) and there are no new breakouts (I usually have several new everyday). If it is not the spiro and it is the niacinimide, I'm ok with that too!

I also bought some nicotinomide-T cream this week. It has relieved the redness and pain of the cysts on my jawline. It is very soothing. It is expensive, (46 a tube), but you can get it over the counter. CVS ordered it for me and it came in the next day.

I have also been taking large does of B5 (about 6-7 grams a day) along with a B-complex, multi, zinc, C, A , D borage seed oil, chomium and alpha lipoic acid.

My face still feels a bit oily, nothing new is popping up but some of the cysts are smaller than yesterday.

Hi mylimage, I am also 37 years old and just got a prescription for spiro from my new dermatologist. I just moved earlier this month from New Orleans to Cincinnati. My derm in N.O. actually suggested spiro about a year ago but I had never heard anything about it and must admit was very skeptical. So for the last year I've been taking rounds of doryx. (Oh, I should mention that I have struggled with mild to severe acne for the last 20 years or so. Underwent 3 different courses of Accutane --high school, college, and one in my mid-20's-- and have been on just about everything else as well. The Accutane always worked great for about 2-3 years but then the acne would always come back.) The doryx seemed to be keeping everything under control up until the last month. I guess the move and everything was really stressful. So I went to see a derm here in Cincinnati and he was happy to put me on spiro. I actually have to run down to the drug store this afternoon to pick it up so I guess I will start it today.

Anyway, what intrigued me about your post was your comment about the texture of your skin. I don't know if it's just all the years I've been using Differin or what but my skin is so rough and bumpy (and OILY!) so I would be thrilled if the spiro will help smooth it out and lessen the oiliness. I've never heard of nicotinomide-T. I will look into that as well. I hope you continue to see improvement and I hope the spiro works for you! Good luck! KUP and I'll do the same.

Hi Mizzbuddy,

Today is my 5th day on Spiro. All of the cysts that I had are coming to a head (this could be the retin A which I started taking again too). My face still seems very oily. I started taking 100mg a day yesterday (instead of 50), since my derm said he would up it later. I see him again next week so I am going to beg him to give me the script for 100 sooner.

I don't know if it is a placebo effect, but I have an attitude that my acne is getting better, even though it looks like hell right now.

For those of you who have had success with spiro, how long did it take to see the oilyness go away?

Cherie

one week on Spiro 50mg twice a day

First of all, I'm thirsty all the time and I pee all the time- LOL. I've never drank so much water in my life. It got me thinking about all the plastic water bottles. I really have only been drinking bottled water in the last year or so ( I drank mostly canned diet tea). It is a scientific fact that Bisphenol-A, a chemical in plastics, interferes with our endocrine systems. Just a thougt. I am going to get a counter top water purifier (reverse osmosis) and cut down on plastic use. Better for me and the environement.

Anyway, my skin is looking, um, better? All the cysts have come to heads, and I am a picker, so my face looks like Ive picked it, but it is all healing now. There are no new cysts.

I got my period yesterday too, I think the breakout I had earlier this week may have been influenced that.

Oh, and my skin feels less oily, especially my nose.

Gotta go pee!

Cherie

Hi Cherie, today is now my 7th day on spiro. My derm is starting me off very slowly - 25 mg a day for 3 weeks and then increase to 50 mg a day. I have actually been taking 50 mg. on alternate days because I am impatient and can't imagine there would be anything wrong with that. I quit taking the antibiotics on the same day I started the spiro.

I haven't really noticed any side effects until today and I'm not sure this has anything to do with spiro. But my face is really itchy and a little dry. It may just be wind/sun burned because I ran for an hour outside yesterday AM and it was pretty windy. It was also overcast so I didn't wear a hat/visor or use any sun screen so I think my skin may just be slightly chapped.

Now, I also have noticed that all my blackheads seem to be "surfacing" if that makes any sense. It's kind of strange. And it may just be an optical illusion from the irritation of my skin, but I swear it also looks like my pores are shrinking up. (For years I've had humongous pores! I could lose my keys in them. All the better for bacteria to get in and oil to come out....) I feel like it's too early and my dosage too low to be seeing results but I do feel like things are different. In a slightly better way. No new cysts - fingers crossed, knock on wood.

Oh, about bottled water...it's funny you should mention that. I don't drink bottled water unless I am out running errands and get really, really thirsty. I've been drinking tap water all my life and so far, no complaints. But just recently...I put my pets on bottled water. How absurd is that!!! Actually, it's just for one cat who has had chronic IBS. After countless visits to the vet, all sorts of meds and treatments, Rx catfood, etc., a coworker recommended I try bottled water because her dog had the same thing and improved after switching. Well, after years of trying everything without any success, I figured what could it hurt? Guess what! It's working! The only thing is I have to give the dog and the other cat bottled water too because there's only one water bowl that they all share. We may be the only household in the world where the pets get the bottled water and the humans drink tap water!

Today marked my 3wk on spiro. The last week or so my face has been a mess. I'm not so sure though if the problem I have been having is due to spiro or not, or if it is the Retin-A micro that I started back on at the same time.

The right side of my face is cyst free. I have 2 healing on the left side. I am getting what I would call painful blackheads on my cheeks and jawline. By the pain they cause, I could swear they are cysts, but they are just really large blackheads, begging to get out (I know that sounds sooo gross). They hurt like a MF'er!!!!

The oiliness seems to be better some days than others. I take 100 mg and split it into AM and PM @ 50mg each. I only get really thirsty the first few hours after I take it.

My back still seems better. I would wear a tank top out finally!

I have a follow-up with the derm on Monday. I sure hope he can see an improvement too!

Hi mylimage,

Unless you are having an intolerance/allergy to the spiro I would put my money on that the Retin-A is what's causing the mess. Retin-A is widely known to cause initial breakouts and it's expected in the first couple of months. By and large, spiro does not cause IBs. Patience is key, you really gotta hang in there. I know it's hard because you are so hopeful that it will work but you keep breaking out and it feels like the pimple parade will never end. It took 2 and 1/2 months for me to stop breaking out and for some it takes longer. As long as you feel like you're tolerating spiro well, keep taking your 100mg/day and reassess at the 3 month point. You'll likely be seeing some improvement by then. Keep on keepin on!

Yesterday I went to the derm for a follow up. He could tell my face looked better. But, he said my testosterone levels came back normal, and he doesn't think the spiro will help. He is still willing to let me take it though, based on my theory that I have sensitive androgen receptors (I thing he thought this was hogwash-;lol). He still thinks accutane will be my answer.

Yesterday afternoon I started breaking out again. And REALLY bad on my back. The way it all happened at once, there has to be a trigger. I avoid dairy bread and sugar. On Thursday I ate a pizza. I am thinking this may have triggered the breakout, or it was smoking pot, which I haven't done in a while and did on Saturday. Then I ate candy (sugar) or course.

So, now I will abstain from dairy, bread, sugar and pot.

F'ing can't stand how bad I feel!

update!

Well, I about to start my 3rd month or spiro treatment (100mg).

In addition to the spiro, I started taking Retin A again.

I am sure it was the retin A, but 2 weeks ago, my face was out of control. I knew it was the Retin A because the zits just seemed different (the smallest ones hurt like HELL!) and my face felt like it was crawling. I called the derm and he called in Erythromycin (sp?) and Duac. I didnt feel like the spiro was working then and I needed SOMETHING to get my skin under control.

I am sure the Erythro is helping, and so did the Duac. But honestly, I think the spiro is working. I dont have the new chin and jaw acne forming. And I used to have so much oil and pimples forming just below my earlobe- and it is all smooth and clear now.

I see the doc on Monday. I think I will start to back off of the Erythro as soon as what I have heals up.

I finally feel like I can go out in public now. My face doesn't hurt!

My update:

First, I'm so glad you are experiencing a noticeable improvement with the spiro. I feel like it's helping me, too. I started spiro on June 30 so I just completed my seventh week of 50mg/day. (Actually the first 3 weeks my doctor told me to take only 25mg/day.) I really noticed a huge improvement with weeks 5 & 6 where I literally had no new zits for two whole weeks! It was very exciting but I was reluctant to get my hopes up too high.

Sure enough, this week I have two big, fat, new zits. One is just a huge, white pimple in the corner of my nose that won't seem to go away and the other is a really bad cyst right smack in the middle of my chin. It looks like I fell down on the sidewalk and landed on my chin! Anyway, I am not giving up on spiro. My period started this week so I'm blaming this break-out on that and the fact that it hasn't even been two months. My doctor said not to expect anything for at least 3 months.

The good news is that if things don't get any worse, even this week with my two new zits will be an improvement over where I was before starting spiro. And I should also mention that before starting spiro I was taking 100mg/day of doryx. So I was breaking out worse on antibiotics than I am now on spiro. And I haven't suffered from any side effects on spiro. So I am feeling very encouraged!