Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mountainmuffin7183

Wedding in 3 months! Help!

Hello All!

So here it goes... I am a 24 year old girl who has had acne since I was 12 (yes that's half my life!). You name it and I've tried it. I was on accutane and for the first time that I can remember I had clear skin, but it has now been 2 1/2 years off accutane and 2 years with horrible acne again. I don't want to try accutane again because of the terrible side effects and am desperately seaching for some help.

My wedding is in 3 months and I look the worst I have been in years. My dermatoligist has me on 'Nicomide'-a super zinc-y tablet, 'Triaz'-a 6% benzoyl peroxide wash, and 'Retin A' (which we are all familar with). It is not helping a bit. I was taking 100,000 IU of Vitamin A (beta carotine) and my derm yelled at me cuz it's dangerous (Accutane is 300,000 IUs and up), but I know the side effects and the dangers so I am being careful (on birth control and such). My skin started to look pretty good after it purged and 3 weeks into it. After trying the derm's stuff for 2 months, I'm back on Vitamin A again, so far it's been 1 week.

I need a quick fix (and a lasting "cure") for my wedding. The biggest thing I am most stressed about concerning my wedding is everyone taking pictures of me and I look horrible. One of my good friends just got engaged and her acne is worse than mine (I never thought it could be worse). She's been on accutane 3 times and nothing helps. Our finaces, God bless their hearts, think we are gorgeous just the way we are, but we are desperate to look truely beautiful for our big days.

We both have similar skin types, oily, and nothing seems to dry us out, so if you have something you know of that's strong, we can most likely handle it. Anything that you can suggest would be a huge help.

Thanks a Bunch,

Sarah & Becky

P.S. Here's a pic of me and my bro after I had been off Accutane for 3 months and I LOVE my skin in this pictue. Here's also a pic of my bro, he has super bad acne too. I guess it runs in the family.

post-60039-1183079426_thumb.jpg

post-60039-1183080482_thumb.jpg

post-60039-1183079426_thumb.jpg

post-60039-1183080482_thumb.jpg

have you considered getting facials from a professional aesthetician?

P.S. your attached pics still waiting for approval

almost all the dermatologists ive had gave me antibiotics for a week or two to get rid of cysts and nodules, usually before performing a facial on me. the big zits remaining were then injected with something which i assume was cortisone. you can inquire about these with your derm or a new derm.

other medications that may help with cysts are those containing sulfur and salicylic acid.

almost all the dermatologists ive had gave me antibiotics for a week or two to get rid of cysts and nodules, usually before performing a facial on me. the big zits remaining were then injected with something which i assume was cortisone. you can inquire about these with your derm or a new derm.

other medications that may help with cysts are those containing sulfur and salicylic acid.

also check out the Nutrition and Holistic Health section for more helpful information. some members were able to stop acne by applying some diet principles. good luck! :)

Hello All!

So here it goes... I am a 24 year old girl who has had acne since I was 12 (yes that's half my life!). You name it and I've tried it. I was on accutane and for the first time that I can remember I had clear skin, but it has now been 2 1/2 years off accutane and 2 years with horrible acne again.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Yeah, acne stinks! How many months were you on the Accutane before finishing your course of the meds?

I was on accutane for 6 months and finished out all my meds.

What type of horrible side effects did you get from being on Accutane? Are the side effects you're mentioning something you're afraid of getting, or side effects you actually experienced?

Dried, cracked, peeling, lips. Bad nose bleeds 2 or 3 times a week. Every inch of my skin being extremely dry. Dry eyes with my contacts. Drying up...down there. I tolerated the side effects hoping that acne would go away forever, but I'm not willing to do that again to my body if the acne is just going to come back again.

OK, I can't remember the exact reason, but I do remember that high doses of Vitamin A can be toxic--and I'm pretty sure I remember reading that mega-dosing Vitamin A is more dangerous than taking Accutane. You should definitely schedule a counseling appointment with your local pharmacy, and the pharmacist will explain to you why you need to be so careful with large doses of Vitamin A.

Ya, I know it's not safe but I'm desperate for anything to work and this has been the only thing that has helped noticably.

Unfortunately, if your acne is as severe as you say it is, do you think a quick fix is possible? If it were, then you'd be fine by now--and so would all of us! ;) At this point it might be best for you to think of how you can deal with the situation and make the most of your wedding day! You might want to consult with a makeup artist about how he/she can help enhance your beauty for your big day! Perhaps you can discuss some photo-retouchingpossibilities with your photographer. And it's wonderful that both you and your friend have supportive fiances! Obviously your acne doesn't make you unattractive, or you and your friend wouldn't have been able to attract such thoughtful men!

As far as your friend taking Accutane 3x and not being helped--I wonder why? Did she finish her entire courses of Accutane? Were the dosages correct? Could she--and you perhaps--have acne that is related to hormonal imbalances/polycystic ovaries? Have your hormone levels been checked specifically for this? Have either of you discussed that possiblitly with an endocrinologist?

I don't know all the details about my friend taking accutane but I would assume everything was right. As far as hormones go, that's another story. I think accutane has caused depression to sneek in, so now I'm on a low dose anti-depressant and a birth control pill that I take continuously for 3 months then I only have a period 4 times a year. My doctor and I are trying to control the hormone levels and keep them as constant as possible.

As far as a topical face product goes: I like the ProActive mask that has sulfur in it. Even though they recommend using it 1-2x a week (I think), there have been times when I used it several days consecutively.

I have been using the Proactiv mask like they say on the commercials...a dab at night on problem areas and leave it on. That seems to help a bit and the swelling goes down a little. I probably don't have the worst acne ever, but after having it for what seems like an eternity, I just want to have clear skin. I'm sure we all have those days where we just want to stick a bag over our head so no one sees us. My careers in hotels and government have made me very self concious since I'm in the public eye all the time. It was great when I had clear skin for 6 months while on accutane then the following 6 months afterwards. I have never felt better about myself and that's when I caught the eye of my fiance. I sort of feel like I'm betraying him. He found me at a time in my life for one year out of 12 I looked fantastic. Now it's all back again and I feel like he kind of got jipped. I just want to be the beautiful woman he fell in love with.

You are still the beautiful woman he fell in love with. He fell in love with the woman you are inside. I had some acne on my wedding day 5 years ago and thought it was really obvious, but I didn't let it ruin the day for me. My acne unfortunately has gotten worse in the last 2-3 years and my husband has been really greath through it all. I finally switched to a different birth control pill about 4 months ago and have been using Paula's Choice for the last couple of months and my skin is finally looking better. I wish I knew of a quick fix for you. Try to enjoy and not stress too much about it.

I was in the same exact spot you were in about 3 years ago, except I was just weeks away from my wedding when I got bombarded. I was seeing a very good derm, and he injected most of the inflamed cysts I had behind my ears and the side of my neck (my major problem spots). Thanks to him he made me look presentable for my wedding. In hindsight, I've found a much, much better personal regimen that I'm now following. What kind of prducts are using, and what kind of regimen are you presently following???

Your best chance for a result by your wedding day is an antibiotic plus a topical.

Hi there! I was JUST in your shoes (I got married a couple months ago) and can completely understand what you’re going through.

What worked for me: My derm put me on 45 mg of Solodyn antibiotic which worked WONDERS!! I upped my dosage to 90 mg the week before my wedding, just to be sure! It made me clear about a week into it!

Also, the derm added 150 mg/day of spiro…I am still on this and it’s amazing. Definitely a thing to try if you are a female with hormonal acne. However, the only downfall is that this can take a while to work in your system, but the Solodyn will help take care of this in the meantime.

Topically, I added Ziana, which I like. It’s not too harsh, which is great. I also added 2 fish oil caplets a day. For sure try this…

Let me know if you need ANY help…I completely understand!!!! Best of luck to you!!!!!! :surprised:

Hello All!

So here it goes... I am a 24 year old girl who has had acne since I was 12 (yes that's half my life!). You name it and I've tried it. I was on accutane and for the first time that I can remember I had clear skin, but it has now been 2 1/2 years off accutane and 2 years with horrible acne again. I don't want to try accutane again because of the terrible side effects and am desperately seaching for some help.

My wedding is in 3 months and I look the worst I have been in years. My dermatoligist has me on 'Nicomide'-a super zinc-y tablet, 'Triaz'-a 6% benzoyl peroxide wash, and 'Retin A' (which we are all familar with). It is not helping a bit. I was taking 100,000 IU of Vitamin A (beta carotine) and my derm yelled at me cuz it's dangerous (Accutane is 300,000 IUs and up), but I know the side effects and the dangers so I am being careful (on birth control and such). My skin started to look pretty good after it purged and 3 weeks into it. After trying the derm's stuff for 2 months, I'm back on Vitamin A again, so far it's been 1 week.

I need a quick fix (and a lasting "cure") for my wedding. The biggest thing I am most stressed about concerning my wedding is everyone taking pictures of me and I look horrible. One of my good friends just got engaged and her acne is worse than mine (I never thought it could be worse). She's been on accutane 3 times and nothing helps. Our finaces, God bless their hearts, think we are gorgeous just the way we are, but we are desperate to look truely beautiful for our big days.

We both have similar skin types, oily, and nothing seems to dry us out, so if you have something you know of that's strong, we can most likely handle it. Anything that you can suggest would be a huge help.

Thanks a Bunch,

Sarah & Becky

P.S. Here's a pic of me and my bro after I had been off Accutane for 3 months and I LOVE my skin in this pictue. Here's also a pic of my bro, he has super bad acne too. I guess it runs in the family.

"Have you ever had your allergies tested? Try avoiding common allergens. Search on the Nutrition and Holistic forum for discussions. It turned out that my horrible cystic acne I was given accutane for was an allergy to oranges and to a lesser extent, other citrus. Things I believed would be good for my skin."

I had an other person suggest to me to stop drinking orange juice for my cronic allergies. Maybe there's something to that. I have a glass of OJ nearly every morning and now that it's summer, a lot of lemonade during the day. I'll cut it out and see how things go. Thanks for putting my mind to rest about beta carotine. I'm glad it fairly safe.

I started on Dan's regimin last night, I figure it can't hurt. Who knew something so simple could work so well for all those people. All those chemicals out there people try for acne and all you need is some basic OTC products. What could be easier?

My fiance is totally supportive of anything I do regarding acne and knows that this is something very important to me. I'm so glad to have him in my life. I always thought everyone out there was only looking at my bad skin and never at the person inside (I can still remember all the teasing from high school). I still feel really self consious on bad skin days (or weeks!) but to have at least one person in your life who loves you no matter how bad it gets, is truely a blessing. I hope all of you have the chance to have someone like this in your life, because without them, we would feel completely lost in this world of perfect looking people.

the glucose and sucrose from the OJ is probably screwing up your skin more than any possible allergy because there is no fiber to slow it down to hitting your insulin

dan's regimen is good but BP destroys your skin's ability to heal and will likely leave you with redmarks so don't keep proclaiming it as a cure for all

So, I went to the salon yesterday and had an amazing facial (and got a cute new haircut ala Mandy Moore). This lady was so comprehensive and really focused on trying to help clear me up, instead of just slathering on cream after cream like most facials I've gotten. Those probably make the situation worse if those people don't know how to treat acne and probably clog up pores more than it helps. The lady really got in there. I thought she was going to squeeze my whole face off by trying to work out all the gunk in my pores. She used a skin care line called Dermalogica which I have used off and on for a few years. They have a new line called MediBac Clearing which is made for treating adult acne. I bought the sample kit, so I'll give that a try. It only has salicylic acid as it's active ingredient so maybe I will put Dan's regimen on hold and see if this stuff works. The lady wants me to come back every other week for a facial and she thinks she can get me pretty clear for the wedding. I don't know if that's in the budget, but at the very least I'll go once a month. When I woke up this morning, my skin was already looking somewhat better. My chin and cheeks, my problem areas, were a little red yesterday from her focusing on those areas the most, but everything looks normal today. I'll post some picks after I get in the shower and attempt to look decent. It's my birthday today, the big 24, so I'll get all dolled up for our afternoon of birthday fun! :dance:

"Have you ever had your allergies tested? Try avoiding common allergens. Search on the Nutrition and Holistic forum for discussions. It turned out that my horrible cystic acne I was given accutane for was an allergy to oranges and to a lesser extent, other citrus. Things I believed would be good for my skin."

I had an other person suggest to me to stop drinking orange juice for my cronic allergies. Maybe there's something to that. I have a glass of OJ nearly every morning and now that it's summer, a lot of lemonade during the day. I'll cut it out and see how things go. Thanks for putting my mind to rest about beta carotine. I'm glad it fairly safe.

It's tough to know what really works for you. Sometimes, the more we put onto our skin, the worse it gets and the more irritated it gets too. Sounds like your derm also put you on a lot of topicals :\

What pill are you on atm?

Happy Belated Birthday!

You've gotten some excellent advice here just make sure you don't overdo it with all the advice.

I wish you luck with the facials..I had a looooong series of oxygen facials and they really helped me.

Congrats on the wedding. :)

Congratulations on your wedding! I found this site in search of topicals for clearing my acne for my own wedding. Well....it worked with two month's lead time. My skin was a lot like yours (but worse, I'm afraid). I was clear for my wedding in May. I joined the site in April but I'd been reading it at least a month before that. :D

I heartily encourage a glycolic acid product. 10% glycolic acid in the form of the Avon product you see below in my signature cleared me up 85% of the way. Adding in the baby's hair brush method of exfoliating cleared me up 95% of the way. The only thing left was stubborn clogged pores. I didn't do anything new until after I got married since I didn't want to ruin the complexion that was behaving so unbelievably. I also stopped eating fast food so often. I can eat pretty much most anything except fast food without it affecting my skin. After I married, I added in Green Cream (an over the counter retinoid like Retin A); and a beta hydroxy acid: Paula's Choice 2% Liquid BHA.

The glycolic acid will also even out your sun damaged skin texture...you'll be simply amazed at your skin's texture in one month's time. Seriously try it! I got SO many compliments on my skin within one week of starting the glycolic acid. I DID purge with the glycolic, but the purge took place within two weeks of starting it and then it was OVER in two weeks from then. So one month to clearer skin. Each individual lesion did not last long, either.

Of course, that is what worked for me. I can't guarantee it will work for you. I wish I could. :(

Remember, the best thing you can do for yourself is NOT stress over your skin. You actually look absolutely lovely and you'll be a beautiful bride. :D Relax and enjoy these next several months. Make sure you stay hydrated.

Guest yankeemix

Add a spoon of ACV into a full glass of water and drink it when you wake up every morning. It is very important to make it the first thing you drink when you wake up as this is the best time your body releases waste. Then throughout the day drink water with lemon if you can...But if its too much just try the ACV with water in the morning.

i think instead of facials u should go in for microdermabrasion and chemical peels this surely will make a difference

I really appreciate all the advide everyone is giving me. It has been a great help and it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one without perfect skin for my wedding day. So this is the regimen that I have been using for the past week based on everyone's advice:

Morning: Dan's face wash, Dermalogica salicylic acid, moisturizer, fish oil pill, vitamin a (beta carotene), Dermalogica tinted sulfer on the big ones (works pretty good as a concealer)

Evening: Dan's face wash, Dan's benzoyl peroxide, moisurizer, baby brush technique, Proactiv sulfer mask on the big ones

I have used at home mild chemical peels from MD Skin Care with glycolic acid. They worked ok, but maybe if I get a professional one done it might be a little better. I'll ask my derm if they do them.

I talked to the salon that is doing my makeup for the wedding and they completely understand my concerns about my skin. They have an arsenal of makeup techniques to cover up any imperfections and make you look really good.

We are 79 days out, so here goes nothing!