Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i got an email today about this remedy. has anyone heard of or tried this? does it work?

"Honey remedy for skin blemishes ... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight. "

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

I havent seen that exact method you listed, but there are alot of people that use the aspirin+honey facial mask and it has had a lot of positive reviews. I dont know if just using honey would work better or worse.

if you do a little more search on Cinnamon or honey, you'll find out why it works *temporarily*. Cinnamon is high in phenols, specifically cinnamaldehyde, which is naturally anti-biotic, and honey is high in glycerin, which kills bacteria by sucking the water out of them and they die as a result. However, glycerin will also suck the moisture out of *anything* it comes in contact with, including your skins cells, killing them too, and drying out your skin overall. Glycerin in high enough concentrations can even cause burns. Cinnamon oil is what is known as a strong sensitizer, meaning after a short period of regular exposure, your skin will develop an immune reaction to it...*causing* eczema, not treating it. Some will sensitize faster than others, but most people over time will develop a reaction to cinnamon. Cinnamon can also cause burns when applied directly to the skin. It only took me 2 weeks to develop eczema on my face, and it took a month to heal completely.

However, glycerin will also suck the moisture out of *anything* it comes in contact with, including your skins cells, killing them too, and drying out your skin overall.

Almost all my moisturizers (not just for my face but for my whole body) have glycerin in it, and my skin is rarely dry. My hair conditioners have glycerin too, and it's healthy. How can that quote be true?

However, glycerin will also suck the moisture out of *anything* it comes in contact with, including your skins cells, killing them too, and drying out your skin overall.

Almost all my moisturizers (not just for my face but for my whole body) have glycerin in it, and my skin is rarely dry. My hair conditioners have glycerin too, and it's healthy. How can that quote be true?

It has to do with the percentage of glycerin in the product you're using. For example, glycerin will pull moisture out of the easiest source first which is usually humidity in the air, and then hold it at the surface of the skin. However, if the air is very dry, or the glycerin concentration is very high, it will still be "thirsty" pulling water from the deeper layers of your skin and bringing it closer to the surface, thereby still giving the illusion of moisture. So there's a possibility of "rebound dryness" when you stop using the glycerin product because that pulled moisture will then evaporate faster since it's closer to the surface, leaving your skin dryer throughout than it was before. It's not recommended to put glycerin on your skin at a concentration of more than 20-25%. Most lotions with glycerin in them are quite a bit less than that. The exception is creams made for eczema which will usually use 20%. I don't know the concentration of glycerin in honey which is why I'm cautious about it. It may be perfectly safe, but I just thought people should know what's in it.