Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.Wiggles

Why is accutane so expensive?

Without insurance, even generic accutane can run upwards of 400 dollars a month!

Anyone else feel a shudder of conspiracy theory in the air? If accutane was truly a free market drug, ie. no regulation, then its price would be dramatically less than it is today. Obviously, it doesn't cost near the amount to produce that it retails for, meaning someone is making huge profit of our misfortune.

Who is making this profit? Partly the pharmaceutical companies, but also the dermatologists themselves.

Also considering the fact that accutane is the only thing that cures acne without falter, it would be logical that it would be prescribed over treatments that simply remedy the symptoms. Yet in reality, its prescribed with lamentation as a last resort, all under the guise of it having horrific side effects. Birth defects aside (which is the patient's fault not the drug's) the side effects are minor for the vast majority.

These dermatologists milk our pocketbooks by prescribing these trite evanescent fixes, in the form of BP and antibiotics. In fact many people have to haggle with dermatologists for years before they begrudgingly dole out what they should have given in the beginning.

This is bullshit, plain and simple. The FDA put out a caveat proclaiming that buying accutane online was risky and rife with danger. Perhaps they were so apt to say this because its in their best interest to keep us from by-passing the toll-booth dermatologists?

Well, its so expensive because its expensive to make lol.

Also your correct, the pharmaceutical companies make a profit and to an extent the derms.

And no, the FDA are absolutely correct to make accutane a "danger" because it actually is. Reason? Accutane was actually a mistake, isotretinoin was primary used as a chemotheraphy like treatment to treat cancer, but health cares officials found that people who used it to treat cancer and had cystic acne, saw a dramtic and sometimes permanent improvement in there acne.

So isotretinoin was scrapped as a cancer drug when better treatments became availiable, and was modiefied chemically to be an all out acne treatment.

Well, accutane doesn't work for everyone. It's just stronger than everything else. I know people who've tried it 3 times and it hasn't done much.

Well, accutane doesn't work for everyone. It's just stronger than everything else. I know people who've tried it 3 times and it hasn't done much.

So isotretinoin was scrapped as a cancer drug when better treatments became availiable, and was modiefied chemically to be an all out acne treatment.

Isotretinoin is not expensive to specifically manufacture it per unit, the only reason its expensive is because on the basic principles that pharmaceutical companies run by....to make a shitload of money selling you something you really want at a massively inflated price.

You can get Isotretinoin for ten times less than $400/month for a course from the east, namely Cipla, India.

If i have something you DESPERATELY NEED, WANT, DESIRE; I can price it to ANY amount.

This is why the world is such a F'ed up place, people take advantage of other's weaknesses.

Isotretinoin is not expensive to specifically manufacture it per unit, the only reason its expensive is because on the basic principles that pharmaceutical companies run by....to make a shitload of money selling you something you really want at a massively inflated price.

You can get Isotretinoin for ten times less than $400/month for a course from the east, namely Cipla, India.

It was modified, i studied accutane for a chemistry report, the "iso" in iso-tretinoin stands for isomer, which means "the same chemical formula, different structure"

The end OH group and double bonded Oxygen from Tretinoin altered to rotate downwards to form iso-tretinoin as we know it today.

Though, when it was used for cancer treatment, it was originally on the 7th carbon, which caused it to react in teh body alot more vigorously changing cell structres and altering DNA replication faster, so the cancerous cells wouldnt replicate.

Though when approved for acne, these characteristics needed to be lessened, so it was engineered back onto the end of the chem.structure like tretinoin, but just rotated downwards to act stronger that tretinoin did.

Thus, both 2 altered chemicals (for cancer and acne) are isomers of tretinoin, therefore iso-tretinoin.

Lol I may grudgingly accept technical support from India but accutane ?

Who is making this profit? Partly the pharmaceutical companies, but also the dermatologists themselves.

the dermatologists make their money from seeing patients, they don't get money from the drugs they prescribe, unless they are being paid in free pens and coffee mugs.

Well, its so expensive because its expensive to make lol.

Also your correct, the pharmaceutical companies make a profit and to an extent the derms.

And no, the FDA are absolutely correct to make accutane a "danger" because it actually is. Reason? Accutane was actually a mistake, isotretinoin was primary used as a chemotheraphy like treatment to treat cancer, but health cares officials found that people who used it to treat cancer and had cystic acne, saw a dramtic and sometimes permanent improvement in there acne.

the dermatologists make their money from seeing patients, they don't get money from the drugs they prescribe, unless they are being paid in free pens and coffee mugs.

If it is really made from a cancer drug, then its logical that accutane is expensive because cancer drugs are expensive. I also don't buy the conspiracy theory, my derm didn't want to put me on it in the first place.

its exspensive cuz your countries health system is fucked

i live in australia and pay only $33 for 60 tablets

Wow, my insurance told me it would only cost me $15o had i not had any insurance (for 60 tabs of 20mg each). Right now im paying 45$, but thats because i got the wrong generic kind, or so says my insurance company.

i just turned 19 and am about to get a new health insurance, my parents are getting me medi-cade, i hope it wont cost much.

do you think since im switching insurance will it switch my generic brand?

actually it's only expensive in the USA.

anywhere else is usually about $100 a month without insurance.

the cost is simply because the drug companies can get that much for it..... so they do. plain and simple.

The cost of Accutane varies a little in Canada, depending on the province, the pharmacy, the dosage, the brand, and the degree of one's supplementary health care coverage. With no supplementary coverage, I would pay approximately $70 for 30 Roche 40mg capsules in B.C. So, if I were on 80mg per day, I pay $140 per month, etc. etc.

I'd bet that if you call Roche, you can get an explanation as to why Accutane is relatively expensive in places like the US -- and what goes into manufacturing the drug. I'd like to know.

[P.S. Hello, fellow Canadian, 'Beauty Bot' ! :cool:]

yeah, accutane is...I don't want to say cheap, but not as expensive as it is in the states up here in Canada.