Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shocky

Considering giving the Regimen another go.

Hello everyone,

To cut a long story short. I gave the regimen a go about two years a go, but I gave up, as the BP gel dried my skin out excessively causing flaking and an uneven skin tone. Therefore I gave up. I only applied the BP at night, as I have sensitive skin.

However, I feel I would like to give the regimen another go. This is because I tried Retin A 0.01% Gel, which did not really work and then I tried doing nothing (just cleansing and moiturising), but this did not do much at all. Im a 20 year old male with sensitive skin and mild acne mainly situated on my jawline and neck. I also get a few spots on my cheeks from time to time.

I currently use the SImple Cleansing Facial Wash and Simple light moisturiser. However, I am thinking of giving Paula's choice products a go.

Does anyone have any helpful advice for me?

I have had acne for seven years now. Im currently 20 years old. I would say at the moment my acne is mild. I mainly break out just to the right of my chin and across my jawline. I also am prone to a few spots on my neck. Furthermore, I break out on my lower cheek. I never seem to break out on my T-Zone or head anymore anymore. The right side of my face is signifcantly worse than the left side of my face for some reason. I am almost clear on the left side of my face and have been for some time now.

Thanks for checking the thread out cowboy. I dont wont to sound an idiot, but can you give me an example of imflammatory acne and non-inflammatory acne? Its something that I have not explored and I have had acne for 7-8 years now!

No, you dont sound like an idiot at all, When I first started treating my acne I didnt know what the difference was either. Inflammatory acne basically when you get breakouts or bumps they are red, whether the bump itself or around the bump. Non-inflammatory is where the bumps are not red, they are just sorda there.

Thanks for checking the thread out cowboy. I dont wont to sound an idiot, but can you give me an example of imflammatory acne and non-inflammatory acne? Its something that I have not explored and I have had acne for 7-8 years now!

Inflammatory acne is the red bumpy stuff, your classic image of a pimple basically, and it sometimes hurts, usually the pimples are tender. Non-inflammatory acne is blackheads, whiteheads, and I don't mean red pimples with a white head, but just small rather colorless bumps that don't hurt, like a clogged pore. If your skin is just generally kind of bumpy but your acne isn't red, that's non-inflammatory.

Thats good, theres a few different descriptions of the differences. The reason I asked is because Benzoyl peroxide works best against Inflammatory acne. Not to say it doesnt work well against non-inflammatory acne, it may still work, but if you have non-inflamed acne, your better bet would be to try out salicylic acid (BHA).

Seven years ago I was pescribed accutane, which cleared up my moderate acne. However, my acne returened several months after and I was pescribed accutane for a second course. Since the age of 15/16 I have tried Retin-A 0.01% Gel and the vast majority of oral anti-biotics. I did see a derm last year, but he pescribed me Retin-A 0.01% Gel and I gave this up as it did not seem to work. Since then (Im 20 years old now) I have been using a Simple facial wash cleaner, eurcerin moisturiser (which I gave up for the Simple Light Hydrating moisturiser) and sudocrem to spot treat. However, I think the sudocrem is actually aggrevating my acne, so I think I will give it up.

I would describe my acne at the moment as mild. I seem to have mild Inflammotary acne with some non-inflammotary acne here and there.

Ok so why don't you try changing your cleanser and moisturizer to something more Regime friendly. I too tried the Regime more then once, and realized you really really do need enough moisture for the first several months! Personally I would recommend Cetaphil Gentle Liquid Cleanser, and Cetaphil Lotion. When I got to that point in the Regime where my skin was getting totally dried out, I put the Lotion on many times a day, and sometimes would skip a day or 2 so my skin would chill out. Now it works great :)