Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j-boy

..its not the chocolate or the greasy fries..

..this is one of Laura's articles on her website at www.facerealityskincare.com..

i posted it for everyone to see,its very interesting and surprising too... :think:

It’s Not the Chocolate or the Greasy Fries…….

It’s the salt on those fries. Yes, it is salty foods and food high in iodides that are

the culprit in making acne worse. Here’s a list of foods typically high in iodides.

We tell people to not go crazy around eliminating these foods, just be aware of

eating too much of them. For example, we had a client who was almost clear.

She came into our clinic all broken out and we couldn’t imagine what was going

on – I asked her if she was eating a lot of seafood or seaweed. She said, “why

yes, I’m sprinkling kelp on my food every day.†As you can see by the chart, kelp

has the most iodide of any food . We got her off the kelp and her skin cleared

again.

Iodide Contents in Food (parts per million of iodide)

SALT

iodized Salt (¼) tsp 100

seasoned salt-40

sun evaporated salt-30

uniodized salt-19

SEAFOOD

kelp-1020

cod(3oz)-87

squid-39

crab-33

DAIRY

cheddar cheese spread-27

milk-11

butter-26

mozzarella-13

MEAT/POULTRY

beef liver-325

turkey-132

VEGETABLES

asparagus-169

broccoli-90

OTHERS

tortilla chips w/salt-80

potato chips w/salt40

so broccoli is high in iodine but everyone says to eat a lot of it.....

too many contradictions in these acne diets

so broccoli is high in iodine but everyone says to eat a lot of it.....

too many contradictions in these acne diets

I'm confused on something and wanted to be educated about this... how does iodine go from being ingested, to affecting the skin physically, like the pattern or which it all happens. I heard it is excreted through the pores as waste? And that aggravates existing acne, or just skin in general?

Thanks!

I'm confused on something and wanted to be educated about this... how does iodine go from being ingested, to affecting the skin physically, like the pattern or which it all happens. I heard it is excreted through the pores as waste? And that aggravates existing acne, or just skin in general?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I can clarify with Laura, but I believe that some of the iodine is excreted through the pores, and it irritates the pores leading to inflamation (so it is not responsible for clogging your pores, but may cause a flare up and inflamation of exisiting clogged pores). Iodine doesn't cause acne per se, but it can aggravate an existing case of acne or cause a new flare up in those who are acne prone.

From what i have read on iodine, most people get way too much in their diets, and since your body doesn't need much, most of what we ingest gets excreted as a waste product.

Isn't Iodine naturally anti-septic? I mean that's why they use it in hospitals. I'd think having Iodine pumped straight into your pores would be a good thing for acne. I think iodine causes acne by creating some sort of endocrine disturbance, but I don't remember completely how. And it only happens in some people with certain endocrine sensitivities/disorders. I don't think that Iodine will aggravate acne in everyone. I think the Iodine thing has been massively overblown in relation to acne. I understand the paranoia of wanting to avoid anything that could make acne worse, but doing some research is a good thing too.

I have a question... I have a really good multivitamin...cold fusion derived from whole foods, no mega-doses, but it says it contains 67% daily value for iodine (not sure of the exact micrograms or whatever its measured in...i can look it up later). Anyway is this likely to be a problem? I mean, will getting the full RDA of iodine irritate acne or does it have to be a higher dose?

Well, according to Dr. James Fulton, (chemist, dermatologist, and developer of Retin-A), iodine does lead to acne flares in those who are acne prone. There are also a number of studies on medications that are high in iodine causing acne flares. Also, the dermatologist who is answering questions on the messageboard indicated that there is a link between iodine and acne flares, and that this may partially explain the dairy-acne relationship, since milk is high in iodine. And just because it is antiseptic, doesn't mean that its not irritating to the pores - it could be both.

My 8th grade science teacher always said, "iodine only makes skin problems worse; that's all you need to know." And I believe him.

umm, yes it is chocolate and the greesy fries.

chocolate = excessive refined sugar and dairy

deep fried chips= hydrogenated oils.

I don't reject the whole salt theory but don't mislead people into thinking that it isn't the other ingredients in these foods and just the salt by itself.

I don't reject the whole salt theory but don't mislead people into thinking that it isn't the other ingredients in these foods and just the salt by itself.

But the oils and sugar have not been established as acne triggers in any research findings (unlike iodine and dairy, which have at least some support in the medical literature). The sugar-acne link and the oil-acne link are mostly pet theories that people on here promote - there is no medical evidence backing these connections. People are good at making arguments about these connections that sound logical, but there are no research studies supporting these views. There is a good body of evidence about iodine, and a couple of somewhat weaker studies on the dairy-acne link (which actually may be explained by the high iodine content of dairy, rather than the dairy itself)

Casenickles, how's the iodine supplementing going for you now? Have you noticed any difference in your skin from it, better, worse, same?

Casenickles, how's the iodine supplementing going for you now? Have you noticed any difference in your skin from it, better, worse, same?