Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I dont want to put this in the lounge becaues Id probably be made fun of if I did so. I am very distraught. Yesterday was the worst appointment Ive ever had with my psychiatrist. He and I used to be really close. The past three months, hes had what seems to me a total personality change. My insurance company is changing starting July 1st. He is not covered under this new health plan. I need medications though and he knows what meds I need. I dotn want therapy from him though (thats how I feel about it now, something dramatic would have to change in order for me to change my stance on this) and I dont want a new psychiatrist that Im gonna have to explain my story to for the fourth time. That would actually be the second psychiastrist, fourth if I used the person as a therapist which I dont want to do. So do you know how much it usually costs for a fifteen minute appointment to talk about meds (with no insurance)?

i'm so sorry molly!!!! did you talk to him about how you felt at all? i mean, that's what he's there for to begin with. idk; i've never seen one before, but i have anxiety issues, so i'm planning on going to a psychologist soon. i'm not sure they would charge for a med consultation. they should be able to look at your record to determine whether or not you need to continue. if you have to go in, i'm sure you're going to be paying for a session; you would have to talk to them first though. don't worry - it'll be okay. :comfort:

Whatever you do, make them tell you ahead of time how much it will cost for the visit. If you can, get them to put it in writing and sign it.

I speak from experience here – when I was without health insurance because I'd lost my job due to my depression (oh, the irony!), I went to one of the more "reasonably priced" clinics in Oakland to get a prescription for my meds. When I went for the follow-up appointment, they said "That'll be $225."

:shock: "Excuse me?" I said. "When I made the appointment, you told me the first one would be would be $175 and the follow-up would be $125. And I know that's what you told me, because I had to ask my mother-in-law for the money to come in for these visits, and if you'd said $225 I would have asked her for $225."

"Oh," they replied, "the pricing schedule was changed last week."

"So even though I already had an appointment scheduled based on the price you told me before, you almost DOUBLED the fee without informing me. No, I don't think so," I said, and walked out. :hand:

Whatever you do, make them tell you ahead of time how much it will cost for the visit. If you can, get them to put it in writing and sign it.

I speak from experience here – when I was without health insurance because I'd lost my job due to my depression (oh, the irony!), I went to one of the more "reasonably priced" clinics in Oakland to get a prescription for my meds. When I went for the follow-up appointment, they said "That'll be $225."

:shock: "Excuse me?" I said. "When I made the appointment, you told me the first one would be would be $175 and the follow-up would be $125. And I know that's what you told me, because I had to ask my mother-in-law for the money to come in for these visits, and if you'd said $225 I would have asked her for $225."

"Oh," they replied, "the pricing schedule was changed last week."

"So even though I already had an appointment scheduled based on the price you told me before, you almost DOUBLED the fee without informing me. No, I don't think so," I said, and walked out. :hand:

aw hon that sucks!

:comfort:

I doubt that ethically speaking you would be able to go to your psychiatrist, simply just for meds. they wont be willing to hand out drugs without a consultation. They need to talk to you before assessing what meds you may need. Unfortunately. It sucks that you may have to find a new doc but if you no longer like this doc it may be for the best

I pay for my sister's med managment with a nurse practitioner. She also is a threapist. For her to see her without insurance it costs 160$ for an hour for the initial appointment, then it's $140 for therapy and med managment.

I pay for my sister's med managment with a nurse practitioner. She also is a threapist. For her to see her without insurance it costs 160$ for an hour for the initial appointment, then it's $140 for therapy and med managment.

My psychologist just tells my GP what I need prescriptions for, and she'll write them and phone them in for free. It's worth asking about!

So you want to terminate therapy and just see your current psychiatrist from med management? At the clinic I work at, med management appointments are $145 without insurance.

I would just get a new psychiatrist would is covered under your insurance. It will save you a lot of money in the end.