Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
caseyjane222

Am I candidate for accutane? Pics included.

I'm going in to see my family doctor TODAY to beg for accutane. If he's not willing to prescribe it, I have a derm appt. Monday July 2nd. I need it right?? I mean i've tried proactiv, dermalogica, differin, all the pills. Nothing has worked. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/caseyjane222/acne3.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/caseyjane222/acne2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/caseyjane222/acne1.jpg

i think that being a candidate is perfectly reasonable. i also think that dermatologists are much more qualified than family docs are when it comes to acne and administering a course of accutane. with that being said, you may want to leave accutane up to the derm, and use use your appointment today to bring the family doc up to speed, get any longer-term derm referrals setup, etc.

doc might just tell you to wait till your derm and your derm will for sure let you

doc might just tell you to wait till your derm and your derm will for sure let you

You were right. Just got bac from the doc. He prescribed me doxycycline. I have a wedding to go to on Sunday and I told him anything he could give me to hold me over until my derm appt. would be greatly appreciated. We'll see how it goes. I still fully intend on asking my derm for accutane. I want a permanent solution damnit!! No more temporary fixes.

You were right. Just got bac from the doc. He prescribed me doxycycline. I have a wedding to go to on Sunday and I told him anything he could give me to hold me over until my derm appt. would be greatly appreciated. We'll see how it goes. I still fully intend on asking my derm for accutane. I want a permanent solution damnit!! No more temporary fixes.

Hi there. If you live in the US and went to your family doc, sometimes those family docs aren't registered in iPledge due to the inordinate amount of paperwork it requires to even prescribe Accutane. More derms than family docs are registered and approved through iPledge just because they see more skin conditions that benefit from Accutane.

It looks like your breakout will definitely improve with Accutane if that's what your derm prescribes. The antibiotic will help in the short term.

Also: put ice on each individual lesion several times a day. Wrap ice in a paper towel or thin cloth towel and apply to the lesion two minutes or so on, then two minutes or more off. That will reduce the inflammation, swelling and pain.

If you experience worsened breakouts during your menses, please find the Aleve thread that's pinned somewhere; it describes using Aleve to limit acne (inflammatory acne) associated with a woman's menstrual cycle.

Please use only warm water when you wash as that will keep from irritating your skin. A final rinse of your face with cold water will also soothe the skin.

If you're not already using a gentle or sensitive skin cleanser, please try one out. Cleansers for 'oily' skin or 'acne-prone' skin are generally really rather too harsh for acne-prone skin.

You might also consider applying some 2.5% or 5% BP to your whole face to limit breakouts. The regimen explained on this website has helped people with similar acne clear.

Hi there. If you live in the US and went to your family doc, sometimes those family docs aren't registered in iPledge due to the inordinate amount of paperwork it requires to even prescribe Accutane. More derms than family docs are registered and approved through iPledge just because they see more skin conditions that benefit from Accutane.

It looks like your breakout will definitely improve with Accutane if that's what your derm prescribes. The antibiotic will help in the short term.

Also: put ice on each individual lesion several times a day. Wrap ice in a paper towel or thin cloth towel and apply to the lesion two minutes or so on, then two minutes or more off. That will reduce the inflammation, swelling and pain.

If you experience worsened breakouts during your menses, please find the Aleve thread that's pinned somewhere; it describes using Aleve to limit acne (inflammatory acne) associated with a woman's menstrual cycle.

Please use only warm water when you wash as that will keep from irritating your skin. A final rinse of your face with cold water will also soothe the skin.

If you're not already using a gentle or sensitive skin cleanser, please try one out. Cleansers for 'oily' skin or 'acne-prone' skin are generally really rather too harsh for acne-prone skin.

You might also consider applying some 2.5% or 5% BP to your whole face to limit breakouts. The regimen explained on this website has helped people with similar acne clear.

Harsh scrubby type exfoliants are not good for some skin types, definitely. I don't know about the proactive cleanser, but if it has large beads in it and feels harsh on the skin, I would not use it. Scrubby cleansers can literally break the skin and allow bacteria to infect the broken areas, leading to more acne.

If you're not breaking out more with the scrub, I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Why not? It's the strongest shit

Yeap, strong in both ways: drying out your face, and heart-attacks.

To be honest w/you. I doubt the doctor will perscribe accutane for you face, because you honestly don't have that much acne. He most likley will prescibe sometype of topical cream and/or gel and that should def take control of the acne. Accutane is just too strong w/ way to many side effects!

To be honest w/you. I doubt the doctor will perscribe accutane for you face, because you honestly don't have that much acne. He most likley will prescibe sometype of topical cream and/or gel and that should def take control of the acne. Accutane is just too strong w/ way to many side effects!

My derm DID prescribe me Accutane. Yay! So now I just have to sit back and wait for a month or so. I'm so stoked!

Thanks for all your replies! =)

Your sking is incredible (counting those pimples out). Thank god you are not scarring. Im sceptical about antibiotics and would go with a light course of accutane just in case if you really have a chance.

damn i wish i had your skin

you only have it on your lower cheeks/chin area

i have it everywhere

Good luck with your course of Accutane, caseyjane! Start a log; if you post pictures of yourself that would help you see your progress as well as be an inspiration to others who are starting accutane, too.

Good luck!!!

I fully intend on starting an accutane log! And yeah, I guess i'm pretty lucky that the majority of my acne is on my lower cheeks/jaw. Though, I feel like it could spread everywhere if I don't take care of it now. I wish no one had to go through that. Keep your head up Redskin. Is accutane a possibility for you?

I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

Hi there,

Your acne is not that bad compared to some of the pics on this forum.

If I were you I would try EVERYTHING else first before you go towards Roaccutane.

It does not look like you have cystic acne from the pictures you put up, the treatment you are on now will probably clear it up for you.

Good luck ;)

Oh gosh. It's gotten so much worse than these pics. It's amazing that in a few weeks it got worse. I thought those pictures were bad. Not even close to the misery and pain of it now. Bahhh! I'll try and post some new ones. You guys aren't going to believe it. Thanks for all the replies!

I'm going in to see my family doctor TODAY to beg for accutane. If he's not willing to prescribe it, I have a derm appt. Monday July 2nd. I need it right?? I mean i've tried proactiv, dermalogica, differin, all the pills. Nothing has worked. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/caseyjane222/acne3.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/caseyjane222/acne2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/caseyjane222/acne1.jpg