Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redskin

How long will this medication take to work?

Hi this is my first post on this forum

Ive had acne since 11th grade (about 2-3 years) but it was never SERIOUS or SEVERE until about 6 months ago, and im in panic mode now because it is ugly!!

So i went to see a derm and he put me on Doxycycline and tazorac, and ive been on them for atleast 2 months, and NO RESULTS!! In fact, it appears to be getting worse...The pamphlet that came with the ish said give it 90 days....well, 90 days is approaching, and havent seen any improvement

For anyone who has used Doxycycline, or Tazorac, please give me some feedback...the past 6 months of my life have been pure hell and embarrasement, and i really dont want to go another minute of my life with this curse!!

If you haven't seen ANY improvement after 8 weeks, you might need to change your regimen. You should have at least seen some improvement by then.

damn i guess thats horrible news :(

when you say regimen, do you mean change my daily schedule in terms of what i do for my acne

or change my medicine altogether

btw...the side effects really suck, thats why this is an EMERGENCY!!

Change your medicine/treatment. This might mean a different antibiotic, a different retinoid, stopping one or either of those, using a different product like a wash or a different gel, etc. Now the one thing to consider is that the tazorac will generally take 3 months to start working. But I'd definitely ask my derm if you aren't seeing ANY improvement or if it's getting worse. It could be as simple as tazorac being too strong (it is the strongest retinoid). It's unfortunately a trial and error thing with these different acne treatments. Just don't change too much at once. Otherwise you won't be able to tell what is happening with your skin, and what's working and what isn't. I usually give a medication 8 weeks. If I don't have marked improvement by then, I try something else.

Well thank you for the quick and helpful responses

Im going to visit my derm in about 2-3 weeks so well talk then....

Thanks!