Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heytakethat

do products that fade pigmentation marks fade red marks as well?

Posted

i find it hard to search for products that speeds up the fading of the pimple marks. in fact i havent even found one yet. the products that are usually recommended are not sold in my country. while i was browsing through skin care products the other day, i found a lot of creams that speed up the fading of age spots, pigmentation marks etc. do these work on pimple marks as well?

Posted

I would say probably not. Pigmentation marks are different than red marks. Usually products that are used to treat pigmentation have some kind of lightening effect. This would probably not help red marks much. Pigmentation is leftover from healed acne. Red marks are the last stage of the healing process.

Posted

I thought red marks WERE hyperpigmentation. :think:

Posted

I think there are two types of red marks. One is just hyperpigmentation, its just red irritation on the surface of the skin, probably from BP or other chemicals that one uses to stop the acne. The other type has more to do with scars and healing, where a lot of blood vessels are all cluttered together in one spot. Some topicals can settle down the hyperpigmentation but for the blood vessels i dont think topicals can do much to help.

Posted

Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (red marks) is primarily melanocytes, so it is possible for it to fade along with other types of pigmentation with use of exfoliative techniques or bleaching/fading creams.

Please see this interesting site all about Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation.

Here is more information about Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation in a post on acne.org, including more treatment options and more links for reading.

Posted

but i dont know what types of red marks are mine. for quite a long period of time i used loads of bp on my face, &the acne pimples went away. but there are still loads of red marks.

Posted

If they are left over from acne, they are plain old red marks, or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Same thing.

Read the links above and you'll see treatment options. Most of the time the red marks fade away on their own. Don't tan as that will make them turn browner, and then they will not easily fade.

Posted

please also do note that people w/ darker skin tone is more prone to pigmentation..