Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Siouxsie

My dermatologist visit experience

So to follow up to my "what can I expect" thread, I am making a "what happened" thread.

I got there 10 minutes early & they still didn't take me until 30 minutes after my scheduled time :rolleyes:

So after 40 minutes in the waiting room, the nurse takes me back & asks me what I'm here for. I briefly tell her acne, leg skin irritation, and a mole.

What felt like 20 minutes passes, but it was probably less than 10, and then the derm comes in. She asks first about the legs (non acne related). I show her & tell her nothing OTC has worked. She concludes it is hair follicle irritation from shaving, and I keep brining up how over 2 years it has not gone away & I've even tried not shaving for 6 weeks. She prescribes me a lotion that she promises will clear them up in 3 weeks :pray:

Then the mole....she briefly glances at the mole & says it's fine. Well it's still ugly & I wonder what I'm going to have to do to get the thing removed!

Finally she asks me about my acne. The look on her face was "that looks like nothing". So I volunteer the products I am using, tell her what my skin was like before DKR (no I did not call it DKR), and then say that I am there because my chin is still bumpy & I have major redmarks.

She then tells me she is going to prescribe me a gel & tells me to use a little at night in place of BP, and otherwise to keep up my current routine. So it seems this derm likes the sound of DKR. She says the gel is very effective for very mild acne, indicating she disregarded what I had said about my acne before my current routine. I basically told her that I used massive amounts of BP to keep 20 very large pimples at bay. No one who saw me at my worst thought that was very mild. People I did not even know very well made rude comments. My family was always asking me what I was doing about it. Who does that for very mild acne?

Plus I have a lot of large red marks still, and no, she did not address that at all.

So the gel is a retinol & antibacterial called Ziana. I asked for a generic, but she said there is none, but that they'd give me a coupon for a major discount (whatever). If that doesn't work out then the pharmacy will call & then they'll give me an alternative....and that was it. I had better not be paying more than my $10 copay that I would pay for a generic either...

Anyone get the feeling that their derm sort of has some default topical they give to everyone with mild to moderate acne right of the bat? I mean she didn't even look at my skin closely & didn't hesitate to prescribe it. She also asked zero about my history. Not how long I've had acne or everything I've tried. I got the distinct impression she felt I just needed to be pacified.....maybe not, maybe she just thought why mess with a decent routine too much since my skin is clearer now? I'm not sure, but I do wish she had been more thorough...

Oh, she could definitely prescribe something much less expensive than Ziana in the form of TWO topical products. You could use clindamycin phosphate topical liquid and a low dose retinoid cream and see similar results. I have to tell you that before I took Accutane, I cleared completely with the clindamycin/retinoid cream combo. It is amazingly effective. So take heart, and ask for the two products separately since there ARE generics of each.

I went to the dermatologist about 2 months ago because I was breaking out a lot more than usual and didn't understand why. I had been using bp and it worked fine for me, though I would still get enough breakouts to annoy me. I think the sudden additional breakouts were caused by an apricot scrub that I started using to exfoliate (my skin had gotten really flakey while I was looking for a moisturizer to use with bp)

The dermatologist prescribed benzoyl peroxide pads to wash my face with in the morning and differin at night. I so badly wanted it to work, but after a week my face got worse than ever. I cancelled a follow up appointment with my derm and decided that my old regimen wasn't perfect, but at least kept things under control. I think that what my derm prescribed was probably the typical starter formula for mild acne, but at 22 years old I just wasn't ready to experiment with my face all over again.

If you do decide to give your prescription a try then I wish you lots of luck and progress! At least you will know for sure. My experience taught me to stick to the bp and so far I don't regret it.

Thanks for both of your responses. I hope I clear up like you did Wynne! I don't think I would ever be a candidate for accutane, seeing that BP does work pretty well for me....I went to see what I could add to DKR to make my skin even better & I hope that is what I got.

I am going to go to the pharmacy & see what they say, & if I can't get it at a decent price I am making the derm switch it. I got insurance for the main purpose of covering my derm related costs.

And Eve, I sooo know what you mean. I am almost 24 & I don't know if I can handle another breakout like what I went through last summer...and there's always those awful redmarks even if you do clear up again.

Since I will still be doing DKR in the mornings, I figure that even if this gel isn't effective for me then the BP should keep things under control to a point. I don't think my skin should completely revert, but then you never know....

Oh, she could definitely prescribe something much less expensive than Ziana in the form of TWO topical products. You could use clindamycin phosphate topical liquid and a low dose retinoid cream and see similar results. I have to tell you that before I took Accutane, I cleared completely with the clindamycin/retinoid cream combo. It is amazingly effective. So take heart, and ask for the two products separately since there ARE generics of each.

If you're lucky when you go to a dermatologist, you'll get the nurse practitioner or PA instead. Hope for the NP. They have to be a nurse first THEN take the NP classes and exams. Being an actual nurse in practice prior to prescribing medications actually improves the people skills and ability to listen.

I went to derm. Saw her for maybe 10 minutes. Next visit saw the NP. She was TERRIFIC. :)

I call them "in and out" doctors. I hate that. I go in and they act like all I care about is covering up the symptoms, and screw the cause. I've had acne for 13 years, and she never asked me anything about that, didn't even look at my face. I really hate most doctors, it's so rare to find a good one, and I don't have the money to hop around from appointment to appointment trying to find them.

I call them "in and out" doctors. I hate that. I go in and they act like all I care about is covering up the symptoms, and screw the cause. I've had acne for 13 years, and she never asked me anything about that, didn't even look at my face. I really hate most doctors, it's so rare to find a good one, and I don't have the money to hop around from appointment to appointment trying to find them.

you are surprised that derms ignore your experiences and just throw topicals and pointless treatments at you ?

wow, after reading this i'm curious how my visit will be. i made an appt for tuesday this week. i haven't gone to the derm in years and years..last time was also "in and out" and out w/ some retin a which i quit taking. anyway, i'll let you all know how it goes... thanks for all the input..

I always spent tons of time waiting to see the doctor, then they'd rush in for five minutes and boom, gone again. Very few of them seem to bother sitting down and talking with you and trying to figure things out and discussion different options -- they just look at your face, throw a prescription at you and say 'come back in 3 months'. My skin isn't doing so hot right now but I'm pretty much trying everything else I can before thinking about going back to a derm.

I hope the prescription works out for you.

I've gotten so much more help researching in here than I ever got at a dermatologists office.

I've actually had derms ask me, "Well, it's not that bad, can't you just live with it?"

I had one guy who was doing minor plastic sugery and dermatology look at my face when I wandered in without makeup on for my second visit that said "Don't come here looking like that."

Guess he was worried about his reputation. *looking for emoticon w/flame thrower*

I do think some folks have better luck than I've had though. Sorry to post so negative, Siouxcat. I hope you find things going better than that.

I noticed a lot of you are american and hearing about having to pay for your doctors appointment and medication made me realize wow that is one less thing to stress about ... maybe causing less acne! I know the first time i went to the dermatologist was a waste of time! She pretty much told me I was extremely mild well that was 6 years ago and know I'm suffering from a major breakout at 22 and just want to be done with acne for life! I have my fingers crossed that your product your deteratologist gave you is going to work!!! Good Luck!!