Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm going to the derm in an hour (leaving work early) & I'm feeling very anxious. I get this way before any doctor appointment (even taking my cat to the vet!). I hate that feeling when you go to to doctor & they whisk you in & out & before you even know it you're leaving without going over half of what you wanted to. And of course some of my skin issues aren't as bad right now (great timing...I'm sure I'll break out tomorrow), so I'm afraid she won't even take me seriously...

I just feel very intimidated in these situations & I don't know why...

I know what you mean I was afraid of mine. He was like your acne is terrible it's like I know..you don't have to remind me. He was weird but you're only their for prescribiton and check-up not anything more.

The worst thing is when people who have suffered your pain act worser, we acnesufferer should show empathy and understanding towards each other...now I don't mean you should love your enemy because that person also have acne...but to make fun of an other person's acne cause you're an suffere yourself is very bad.

That's part of the reason that I didn't go on Accutane earlier... fear of going to the dermatologist. If I went to the dermatologist, that meant I really had acne. Then, what if I got there and they wouldn't prescribe Accutane to me? The reality was that I went with very mild acne and my was derm super cool and was like yeah let's do Accutane. I'm excited about getting on Accutane, but I'm also thinking... you think this is bad enough for Accutane? Wow I must look alot worse than I thought. Ugghhh!

Good luck at your appointment!

Hi there: worry over going to MD offices is normal and natural. I don't worry about going to doctor's offices anymore since I've been a nurse for such a long while, but I do get weak-kneed and feel sick when I'm taking a sick animal to the vet. That's normal. Once I get there I forget all the questions I had unless I wrote them down because it is so stressful going to the vet.

The following technique is very helpful for anyone prone to panic attacks: Practice some deep breathing as you're getting ready to go. Breath slowly in through the nose, a long deep breath. Let it out slowly through the mouth....long slow through pursed lips. Slow long deep breaths, concentrating on the quality of the breathing, imagining all the stress and tension goes out with each exhalation, and good oxygen comes in with each inhalation.

I understand your feelings, I'm the same way.

Have you ever written down a list of everything you want to say..I do that now and it's really helpful.

I hope it went well for you today.

I'm terrified to go to my next dermatologist appointment. My redmarks are so severe right now (covers 97% of my face.. a very deep red color) is so bad that I wouldn't even concider leaving the house without loads of makeup on. My derm said that if I came to my next appointment with makeup on, she wouldn't give me that months perscription of accutane :( I went there once without makeup a couple months ago and it was the most humiliating thing i've ever experienced... I had to sit in a crowded waiting room (there were a couple very attractive guys my age sitting near me too)... I had to walk through a skywalk.. go on a few crowded elevators.. gah it was horrible. I was crying my eyes out after I left that appointment.

Well it's all over now....the waiting room wasn't so bad; I was the only one with any acne at all, but no one stared at me. I wiped my makeup off in the car before & then reapplied before going back to work.

The derm did not ask many questions at all, and the whole visit lasted shorter than my waiting room time....I still feel as though she did not really take my acne seriously. If I posted a photo of me now, many of you wouldn't either. Still, I have the redmarks to prove I used to have some large inflammatory acne before DKR....

I'm going to make a thread in a more appropriate forum about what she prescribed, since a few people told me they wanted to hear my experience.

Good to hear you got through it alright. I had the same anxiety about dermatologist visits when I went to them in high school. In my mind, there are few things worse than having severe acne, opening the door to the derms office and having a packed waiting room all turn to look at you. :| It was almost enough to make me turn around and leave.