Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phaser

Light Tan & moderate acne

My derm said that about 10 to 15 minutes a day of sun exposure can benefit to clean yourself of acne. But over that it's really bad.

Is that true or should I stay inside full time ?

I've read quite a few articles saying sun is utterly bad and irritating, but I just wanted to make sure.

15 minutes a day is sufficient to give you the benefits of sun exposure without the associated risks so long as you're not using glycolic acid or retinoid creams. Sun helps your body synthesize vitamin D and it helps you regulate your sleep/wake cycle. It can help improve the mood, too. :) So he's right. More is not good, though as with most things. More sun exposure and you risk damaging your skin and setting yourself up for photodamage in the future.

I work nights, and go to a tanning bed once a week for 15 minutes just because I hardly ever see the sun. A few things I like about it:

1. It blends dark spots in, making them not so noticeable.

2. It's enough to not make me burn or peel, but keep a decent tan through out the week.

3. It makes me sweat a little bit, and I feel like when I wash my face afterwards, I'm getting rid of a lot more excess oil.

4. After the tan goes away, my complexion still seems more even with less breakouts.

Now, there is a myth about tanning beds curing acne. This is only because if you get real tan, or even burn, your acne just blends in with your skin. But if you start peel and get a layer of dead skin all over your face............clogged pore city! I've done this before and it is very hard to exfoliate or just get a clean feeling. Lots of whiteheads can come soon after.

I recommend a first timer, going for about 8-10 minutes. Skip a day, then go for 12 minutes. Skip one more day, then you should be able to do 15 minutes a few times a week. This is in a "standard" 30 minute bed. I don't want the fake and bake look, so I usually just go once a week, never more than twice. Some people just really over-do it and it looks nasty.

Get your own little system down, and you shouldn't peel or break out, and still look natural.

Moderation is the key, Too much sun is dangerous as is too little sun.

Using a tanning bed for 15minutes afew times a week wont hurt, you just have to take the appriate precautions and be aware of your skin type.

I know people who never ever go in the sun, and have aged terribly, and by that same token i know people who have had a light tan their whole life, and look incredibly young for their age.

I think sometimes people go overboard and completely avoid the sun, some of my family members included, the problem is when they actually are in an environment where they cant avoid the sun, it can be very damaging. My grandmother is such a case, she avoids the sun at all costs yet she has had dozens of sun cancers removed.

Tanning has great benefits, but you should never exceed 50 times in a year.

And i think 30minutes a week is more than enough.

Moderation is the key, Too much sun is dangerous as is too little sun.

Using a tanning bed for 15minutes afew times a week wont hurt, you just have to take the appriate precautions and be aware of your skin type.

I know people who never ever go in the sun, and have aged terribly, and by that same token i know people who have had a light tan their whole life, and look incredibly young for their age.

I think sometimes people go overboard and completely avoid the sun, some of my family members included, the problem is when they actually are in an environment where they cant avoid the sun, it can be very damaging. My grandmother is such a case, she avoids the sun at all costs yet she has had dozens of sun cancers removed.

Tanning has great benefits, but you should never exceed 50 times in a year.

And i think 30minutes a week is more than enough.

Sun exposure is excellent for acne. I actually heard an hour, but, I guess not many will do an hour.

I'd rather have the acne now than the sun spots in thirty years (not to mention the skin cancer).

The sun is great for you in moderation.

Go later in the day, slather on some SPF and have some fun!

What's a good sunscreen that won't cause me to break out? I've honestly feared putting any on because it might break me out :lol: