Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dragon10

Who's here become immune to any antibiotics?

My derm told me that becomming immune rarely happens...

I've been using doxycycline for 11 months now.

The issue isn't that people become immune to antibiotics, it's that bacteria become antibiotic-resistant.

As for "rarely happens"... well, your doc is the MD, not me, but I think they're way off on that. In my own experience as a medical research assistant, I saw plenty of reports of drug-resistant nasties. And the latest news isn't good either. From Scientific American:

SCIENCE NEWS

June 26, 2007

U.S. hospitals rife with superbug bacteria: survey

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A drug-resistant type of "superbug" bacteria called MRSA is more than eight times as common as believed in U.S. hospitals, putting patients at risk and posing a big hygiene problem, experts said on Tuesday.

They found that nearly 5 percent of patients -- 46 out of every 1,000 -- were infected or colonized with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MRSA for short.

The one-day "snapshot" look at infection suggests that 1.2 million U.S. hospital patients may be infected each year, the survey by the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology or APIC found.

Exactly what Lexica said. You don't become immune to the antibiotic, the bacteria becomes resistant to the antibiotic.

Exactly what Lexica said. You don't become immune to the antibiotic, the bacteria becomes resistant to the antibiotic.

So is that common?

So is that common?

It seems to be becoming more and more common, unfortunately. This is why doctors and pharmacists put so much emphasis on "you MUST finish the ENTIRE course of antibiotics prescribed for you EVEN IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE CURED ALREADY." The primary way that organisms become resistant, as I understand it, is that people stop taking their antibiotics before the infection has been completely knocked out. What that does is kill off the weaker bacteria, so only the strongest ones that are the least affected by the antibiotic survive. Repeat that cycle enough times and you wind up with scary superbugs.

So is that common?

It seems to be becoming more and more common, unfortunately. This is why doctors and pharmacists put so much emphasis on "you MUST finish the ENTIRE course of antibiotics prescribed for you EVEN IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE CURED ALREADY." The primary way that organisms become resistant, as I understand it, is that people stop taking their antibiotics before the infection has been completely knocked out. What that does is kill off the weaker bacteria, so only the strongest ones that are the least affected by the antibiotic survive. Repeat that cycle enough times and you wind up with scary superbugs.

Ok thanks, I think I get it. I don't mind staying on the antibiotics, because I have this paranoid feeling of when ever I miss a dose that acne is going to return. So how long are you talking about staying on pass the course? A year? I've been on doxycycline for almost a year now.. I wouldn't mind if I have to go for another year ot two, because my derm said it's safe..