Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rayodeluz

non-hormonal birth control methods w/ tane

So I'm starting tane in 2 days :) and my iPledge birth control methods are the pill and condoms. However, I've been on the pill for 7 years and really want to stop taking it. It's worked great for me and never made me more emotional or moody than normal like what happened to some of my friends, but I just want to get off the hormones.

But since I started it so young, I don't even really know if it had that much of an effect on my acne. If it had a good effect, I'm hesitant to go off it, but since I'm going on tane, maybe it'll be OK...what do you guys think? And if I did go off it, would it be better to do it while on tane (so if my skin were to go crazy, at least the tane would be there to help) , or after I finish my course?

And for those of you who might ask , I would probably replace the first number one method or whatever it's called for iPledge with a copper IUD (no hormones).

Thanks in advance for advice

Well, coming off BCP can exacerbate the almost inevitable IB. BUT I guess if you are going to have a reaction it would be good to have it while on tane instead of risking it after you finished your course and get it out of your system. You'll probably be ok and be 100% clear at the end of the course but maybe it's not worth the risk….

I have a copper IUD (no hormones). And that works well for me. Better than BCPs which make me feel like an emotional loser, lol.

I think I might switch while on tane and hope it'll be OK. I don't want to be dependent on pills forever. How long have you used the IUD? Does it work well for you?

I think I might switch while on tane and hope it'll be OK. I don't want to be dependent on pills forever. How long have you used the IUD? Does it work well for you?

It's fine! I've had it for about 16 motnhs now… the first 6 months, my periods were uncharactersitically heavy and painful. But they evened out after a while.

But as long as you don't suffer from terrible cramps etc now, you should be ok.

I've had a copper-T for... hm, I guess about a year now. I love it – I've become a huge cheerleader for the IUD. Good for 10 years, nothing to remember, no hormones to make me suicidal... what's not to love? :dance:

Getting it positioned right was a bit tricky, since I've never given birth or even been pregnant, and the first time the NP didn't insert it far enough in (I think she was afraid she was hurting me). The second time, it was one of the MDs, who inserted the IUD and then used an ultrasound probe to make sure it was positioned correctly.

Some women find that it makes their periods heavier and they stay that way, but I was lucky enough that after the first few INSANELY heavy periods it's decreased, and my periods are now much lighter than they were before. Come 2016, I'll definitely be back in my gyno's office to have it replaced with a new one.

Shell and Lexica - I had an appt. with an OB-GYN yesterday to talk about non-hormonal options and we made an appt. on July 16 for me to get a copper IUD :)

I'm just worried about the really heavy periods and cramps...Also, I've never had a child, and he said I might be able to feel it and it'll be uncomfortable..??? :( Did that happen to you?