Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
conf22

Am i washing too much or too little?!

I am not sure if I am washing too much or too little. My current schedule is face wash and exfoliating scrub in the morning, and then face wash at night.

My skin is a bit dry/itchy but not really that bad. my face where my nose meets my face (sides and upper lip area) get a bit red, itchy, and dry with a bit of peeling.

But I also find that acne will popup on my face, etc. So I can't tell if I'm cleansing too much or too little.

I know that this cleanser and/or exfoliator is working because my acne has improved a lot. (Im using neutrogena clean and clear btw).

Also I am thinking about reducing using the exfoliator to once every 2 days instead of every day, but still cleansing 2 times a day.

I am not sure if I am washing too much or too little. My current schedule is face wash and exfoliating scrub in the morning, and then face wash at night.

My skin is a bit dry/itchy but not really that bad. my face where my nose meets my face (sides and upper lip area) get a bit red, itchy, and dry with a bit of peeling.

But I also find that acne will popup on my face, etc. So I can't tell if I'm cleansing too much or too little.

I know that this cleanser and/or exfoliator is working because my acne has improved a lot. (Im using neutrogena clean and clear btw).

Also I am thinking about reducing using the exfoliator to once every 2 days instead of every day, but still cleansing 2 times a day.

Your plan sounds goods.

Washing 2 times per day is optimal for most people (and please ignore my signature). I think exfoliators tend to be more beneficial for most people, when they're used 1-3 times per week. They can be irritating, and therefore counterproductive, if you use them too much, but that depends way more on your skin and the exfoliator you're using than some statistic I dredge up from the depths of my brain.

Since you are dry and itchy it might be beneficial to exfoliate less. I'd also recommend a moisturizer. That will soothe the dry, itchy skin and help you heal.

Cool thanks, but how do I know if I should cut back or use more?

You're dry-itchy-peely, which is probably indicative of general dryness or being dried out and/or irritated by some kind of chemical or mechanical irritant, or both.

In the first situation, washing/exfoliating less can give your skin a break from the irritants of cleanser/acne meds/exfoliator in order to heal. They're exacerbating the problem.

In the second situation, washing/exfoliating less lessens the damage caused by the irritating cleanser/acne meds/exfoliator. Since the skin isn't being redamaged constantly, it gets time to heal. The wash and/or exfoliator is causing the problem.

So, from the description of your problem, your skin could use a break. i.e. wash less.

Also, the regimen that seems to help the average acne sufferer involves less washing than your current regimen. If your skin is getting pissed about your current regimen, it wouldn't hurt to try what works for a lot of people.

And in the same spirit as the other posters, maybe cut out the exfoliator until your skin gets back to its normal self. At that point, maybe, gradually reintroduce the exfoliator to avoid overirritation.