Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'Ello! Does benzoyl peroxide in general help fade red marks?

Also, I use 5%, and everytime I use it, it burns. It feels like my face is on fire, are you supposed to rub the benzoyl in, or just coat your skin with it? I've been rubbing it in, and since I take quite a while to finish my entire face, it starts to dry up and sting like heck before I finally wash it out. Is 2.5% just as effective, just minus the irritation?

And also, it appears to make my face and marks more red from the irritation and burning.

Also, i've been using Retin-A Micro, and i've heard this is a bad combination. Which one should I stick with, between the two, since it's not recommended to use both?

I believe the stinging is due to your combining both the Retin-A and the BP unless you're allergic to BP.

From experience and from what others have posted on this site, BP may make red marks harder to heal.

As for which product to use, IMO BP can work on active breakouts, whereas Retin-A works over time to keep the skin clear (it's less effective on active localized blemishes). If you want to use both products, you may try using one in the AM and the other in the PM, if your skin isn't too sensitive (you may also want to consult your MD or Derm prior to using both).

Good luck.

I don't really get a lot of acne anymore (although i've broken out with a few lately, eek), i've been focusing on getting rid of the red marks, so it seems like Retin-A Micro would be good then. Cleared all my bacne right up, and I didn't use BP on my back, just my face, so it seems like that may work. Thanks for the input. =]

BP doesnt work for some ppl, i have sensitive skin and everytime i tried BP it just made my skin blothy and dry, 2.5% is supposed to be just as good and it doesnt make your skin as dry.

With some people for a few weeks you will need to get used to it then once you do its supposed to be very good, just dont give up too early unless you cant stand the dryness and redness.. Always put a moisturiser on after wards, im goin to try ACV and jojoba oil for my red marks..

As someone has already mentioned, there are a lot of posts on the site saying that BP causes healing to slow down. From my experience, I have found that BP does not help to get rid of the red marks but rather makes them appear worse.

Is there anything out there that can be used with BP to help clear up redmarks? I have been using 5% for about a week now but my skin (while looking less inflamed) seems more blotchy than it was.

I'm thinking about starting this lemon juice method that a lot of people seem to bring up, since you can find them easily. When would you use it? Before/after I apply Retin-A, or in the mornings, etc.?

Stupid question, but does simply drinking it help, or do you need to wet your hands with it and rub it in? Your face would smell like....lemon, i'd assume you'd have to wash it out right after you apply it. :confused:

As someone has already mentioned, there are a lot of posts on the site saying that BP causes healing to slow down. From my experience, I have found that BP does not help to get rid of the red marks but rather makes them appear worse.

i'm 25

last year i tried a 5% BP cream

i NEVER had redmarks before trying it, even with the ugliest multi-popped inflammed whiteheads

after using the cream for several months on various spots on my forehead and temples my skin's ability to heal is now ruined and i'm left with a dozen or more very noticable redmarks including some that are the size of a dime

worst skin mistake of my life and has left my forehead unable to fully heal anymore

BP WILL help reduce the infection and swelling quicker but it is NOT worth it if you are left with redmarks that look like active acne to a casual observer, don't make the same mistake i did

Uhm...so if you use BP, you have zero shot of ever having your red marks heal naturally?

Uhm...so if you use BP, you have zero shot of ever having your red marks heal naturally?

would salicylic acid slow down the healing of red marks

and what i use use salicylic acid 5% and i use puredeming intense gel would it slow down the healing

I'm off the BP, for the past couple of days i've only been using Retin-A Micro (at night, and washing my face twice a day), and there's already been some slight improvement. Without the BP, my skin feels a little itchy, though.