Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I feel like I do, but I haven't done any actual research. It's seems to be correlated with how much I sweat, but . . .

If I sweat a lot at the gym in the winter, I'm just sweaty. There doesn't seem to be any extra sebum. If I sweat outside in the summer, I get very greasy along with the sweat. (Gross.)

So, for me, it at least seems like I produce more sebum in the summer, and it varies according to how much I sweat. But, sweating in the winter doesn't seem have this effect on sebum production.

These are my casual observations of myself. Scientifically, it might be complete BS.

Two relevant observations here:

1) Elevated temperatures can lower the viscosity of sebum, letting it flow more easily to the surface of the skin (at least momentarily). However, that shouldn't affect the actual production of sebum by sebocytes.

2) Kligman found that moisture (think: sweat) enhances the perception of sebum on the skin, even though the actual quantity of sebum is the same.

Oh, at least my casual observations had that much control. I'm comparing similar temperatures: ~75 degrees F, and the same amount of sweat: hair soaked, a couple dry patches left on shirt//pants, not dripping enough to feel bad for bystanders, yet.

I sweat like MAD during the summer and yea I fell like my face produces a lot more sebum, which totally sucks.

one thing i have noticed. the sebum seems shiny in warmer weather season than in the winter. could it be in the winter the cooler dryer temps. does something to do the sebum onthe surface of skin were it doesnt look as shiny. eventhough you produce same amount all year round?

I'm way more oily in the summer but I have way less acne. My skin loves the heat and humidity.