Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After reading everyone's logs and getting a lot of useful information I thought I would go ahead and start my own. I am a 22 year old female with moderate acne. I have been on everything they make for acne except accutane. Today was my first visit to my new dermatologist and he drew blood for my first test before starting accutane. I am going back in one month to do the urine test and he will write me the prescription on that day. I am very excited to get started on this long process of clear skin!

I attached pictures I took last night before starting accutane.

post-59643-1182871037_thumb.jpg

post-59643-1182871064_thumb.jpg

post-59643-1182871082_thumb.jpg

post-59643-1182871037_thumb.jpg

post-59643-1182871064_thumb.jpg

post-59643-1182871082_thumb.jpg

So I am on day 5 of Claravis. I am a female 22 years old and about 135lbs. My doctor has me taking 20 mg one day and the 40 mg. the next day. So I guess it is sort of like taking 30mg.

So far I haven't had many side effects except I just saw that my nose has some dry skin on it. My lips are sore, but not really dry yet.

The biggest side effect I am having is mood swings. I am getting really angry then sad very quickly. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have had depression since I was 12 so my derm. told me to keep a watch on how I was feeling because the mood changes may be worse for me.

I am using cetaphil face wash and lotion.

I hope to get monthly pictures up and updates!

Hi there -

Congrats on starting Accutane. Soon you will have clearer and smoother skin.

I'm on 20mg and at the end of month 3. Starting 8/1, I will be moving up to 30mg. I have very mild acne - mainly my chin. Here are some of the side effects I've had: headaches (week one), tiredness (on/off the whole time), insomnia (not often but here/there), bone aches (month one), blackheads got darker on my nose (month one but cleared month two), mood swings (occassionally), occassional stomach upset/bloating. So yes, the moodiness does come/go at least for me. I try to offset it by exercising often and thinking how nice my skin looks (no acne since month two - but mine was mild). Keep it in check and you should be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Yvette

Thank you both so much! I have been very tired. I am not too worried about all the dryness, but I am worried my boyfriend will think I've lost my mind if I keep having mood swings. I am going to try to get into the gym and drink a lot more water. I am sure that will help. Thanks!

hey.. i started on fri and im on 40mg of claravis.. ive had only one bad day of mood swings.. hopefully there wont be many of these.. but have been extremely tired also.. i really dont care about the dryness either.. i am just really worried about the IB because im almost clear now except for 2 healing cysts on my chin.. 1 new one.. and 2 healing on my forehead.. plus blackheads..

good luck with everything

Day 6

This is the worst day so far. I swear overnight I got like five big zits!!! Usually I would pop them, but I have heard that is not a good idea while on accutane. My nose is getting dry and peeling a little and my lips are starting to feel really dry. Besides that the rest of my face feels oily more than usual. I never really had oily skin, but now it is looking that way. I was a little tired today, but besides that I was in a good mood.

I am using cetaphil face wash and moisturizer. Should I try a different moisturizer so I don't feel so greasy?

Day 6

This is the worst day so far. I swear overnight I got like five big zits!!! Usually I would pop them, but I have heard that is not a good idea while on accutane.

your skin is probably gonna get SUPER DRY and scaly after a couple weeks on accutane, i found that the cetaphil products worked pretty well at keeping it manageable, i used the lotion with spf 15 during the day and nothing at night (prob why i got sooo dry) but now i have been using the cetaphil cream moisturizer at night and that really helps tons with the dryness (im now on tazorac so i still get dry and scaly)

other products i have tried: oil of olay for sensitive skin and another for oily skin (both didnt help too well with dryness), purpose with spf 15 (did a good job with dryness and leave a matte appearance but kinda lays on the skin, so if you rub your face for any reason it rubs off and leaves little white shnibbles on your face)

good luck!

I just wanted to wish you luck! I'll be starting Accutane next week. I'm so excited! I'm also using Cetaphil products. Thinking about getting the Cetaphil cream moisturizer ( I already have the spf15) as well. So you'll be just a week or so ahead of me. =) Keep me updated with pics and such.

Day 7

So I woke up with three or four whiteheads! They were very painful and big. The acne I had before accutane wasn't really like these so I am pretty sure I am having my IB. I had to pop them because I had to join the rest of the world for the day and couldn't have those looking like that. I know it is bad to pop, but there was no other way about it. I was really, really tired today. Could be because I stayed up late, but I think the Accutane wears me out a little extra. I am not really having dry skin or too dry lips.

My hair is another story. It is super dry. Does anyone have suggestions for this?

So I am one week closer to clear skin! I can't wait for this to all be over.

Day 8

Today was about the same as yesterday. I have two pimples healing and like three red ones. Putting on makeup is torture. Most of my skin is way more oily than it was before. It looks really ruddy and I am having trouble covering up blemishes when before it was pretty easy. My lips are a little dry, but not too bad. My skin gets really irritated when I put on makeup. I keep thinking that in a couple months I will see a difference, but it is so hard to see the bright side when your face looks horrible.

I am so tired all the time!

Oh I have a question. My derm is not really talkative so he kind of cuts me off when I have questions, but why aren't you supposed to drink on accutane? And is it that serious not to?

Thanks everyone! :think:

hey yaa i haven't really been having mood swings.. i had bad mood swings last sunday but that was about it .. my face isn't drying out much either it may be getting less oily .. kind of hard to tell because ive been moisturizing after i was and put klaron lotion on.. my legs and my back occasionally get itchy but are fine after i put on moisturizer..

as for the drinking.. alcohol and accutane are like processed in the liver the same way and its a risk.. im prob just not going to drink hard alcohol and just drink wine.. i think im going to wait until after the 2 week point so my body can adjust to it.. and as long as were not like getting sh!t faced every night we should be fine..

Yeah I usually just have a couple glasses of wine or a beer or two, but the other night after two margaritas (which would usually not even phase me) I felt buzzed! My boyfriend had to drive home as I remembered something about not drinking on accutane. Silly me.

Another question, is hair loss part of this accutane deal?

Day 9

I look like SH!T!!!!!! My skin is really ruddy looking. Not really dried out, but just ruddy. I still have one that keeps coming to a head and all the others are just inflamed and red and painful.

My hair is just horrible! It is dried out and I can't do anything with it. I really need some tips on this. My mom is a hair stylist, but she lives in another state and it may be a while before she sends me stuff for my hair. Help!

The mood swings are much better. I am barely getting them.

I just think I look way worse than I did before. I hope I can take two or three months of this really bad skin before it gets better. :wall:

I still need advice on a good morning moisturizer that goes good under makeup and doesn't feel greasy.

Day 10

I was soooooo tired today! I just feel like I can't get off the couch which is not good because I have two papers to write before Monday. When I woke up my face was looking so much better, but by now I have a new one forming on my chin and it's all just not looking too good.

I went to the store and got some Aveno Ultra Calming moisturizer and Aveno lip balm. I also got some liquid foundation because my bare escentuals is showing the flakes too much because it is minerals. My scalp is so itchy and so is my face. Good news is that the days are going by pretty fast so I know that in no time it will all be over and I will have clear skin.

Oh, and after reading some other people's logs I am now taking flaxseed oil, fish oil, and milk thistle.

I'm a little worried because I color my hair which is a scalp drying process in itself, but now with an already dry scalp and I really need to do my roots. Ugh....

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Just had to admit to having a major picking and squeezing moment. Why oh why did I do that? I did notice that a lot of the bumps I had that would never come to a head are coming out!!!

Still was a bad idea because now my face looks really bad.

Just had to admit to having a major picking and squeezing moment. Why oh why did I do that? I did notice that a lot of the bumps I had that would never come to a head are coming out!!!

Still was a bad idea because now my face looks really bad.

All4accutane-- Thanks for the advice. No I didn't know that that nasty pus goes back down into your skin. yuck! I had been doing pretty good, but I don't know what happened today, but I just had this urge to pick at every single spot. Obsessively!

Luckily, my face is not looking too bad now. :pray:

Thank you again for the advice and encouragement

Hey Lauren-

I am just ahead of you on the accutane. Today is day 17 for me. I had a major popping moment yesterday. I had like 4 whiteheads pop up on my chin overnight and couldn't let them just sit there, so I popped them. Now, after reading All4accutane's comments, I am not going to do that anymore either. It will really be a struggle though, because I hate just letting thing sit there. Ughh. Well, good luck to you, I'll keep checking your progress.

Emily--I agree, they just can't sit there on your face if you have to join the world for the day. It's disgusting and no one understands that you can't pop them because you are on accutane, they just think you are gross and don't notice they are there. Trust me, we know they are there and I can tell you are staring at them. Which is why I am sorry but if I have a huge one it has got to go before I leave the house. Maybe I will figure out a better way to pop them. Emily, what side effects are you having?

Day 11

Itchy, itchy, itchy! That's my day. Everything from my scalp, eyebrows, neck and nose itch!! I can't take it! Besides that I'm not too bad. I think my IB is going away. I think it just got bad because it was also TOM. I'm on 30mg right now. I weigh around 135lb. do you think the doctor will bump me up next time? I really want to kill all of my acne and never have it come back.

Don't lose hope. You're a beautiful woman and acne can't take that away. You will be clear with time. Moisturize well at night and your itchiness should subside, and get some Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo for your scalp. It will help a lot.

Take care,

-M

M--thanks so much. I love it when people on here encourage me. It makes this process a little easier. I'm using cetaphil face wash and moisturizer at night. Do you think I should get something else? I thought about Head and Shoulders, but my mom is a hair stylist and she said that it is really bad for color treated hair like mine. She is supposed to be sending me something soon to help. I am so scared to dye my roots because my scalp already stings from being so dry! Thanks for the encouragement again!

I would suggest perhaps not washing your face at night and if you must, just use water. It sounds crazy, so try it or don't, but I've been doing that for about three months. It significantly reduced my itchiness and irritation, which were caused by mostly by me. I only wash in the morning, and gently. Cetaphil is good, I use that. Trust your mom about H&S, I just know it works so I use it. Do what you must with your roots, but don't say I didn't warn you. :)

hey lauren.. i mixed a few drops of tea tree oil with my shampoo the other day and it helped relieve the itchiness..