Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissQ

Not sure what I should do

Hi Everyone -

I've been a DKR user since 5/1/07. I started with Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Lotion, Acne on the Spot and the Cetaphil moisturizers, I use the SPF 15 one for morning. When the on-the-spot stuff ran out, I ordered Dan's BP.

After taking a month to ramp up to the full dosage, I now use a full finger of Dan's BP day and night. At the beginning of June, I added Alpha Hydrox 10% lotion as as step between the BP and moisturizer to help with exfoliation - I've also recently added Jojoba oil to my moisturizer to see if that would help. I have never had a problem with dryness or flakiness, I sometimes wonder if the BP is penetrating deeply enough.

My problem is that I don't see any lessening in the amount that I breakout. It has remained pretty constant, especially in my chin area. Every morning I wake up to either new pustules or inflammed lumps under my skin that I know will eventually form pimples. I feel like l'm thrashing a bit, not really getting anywhere.

To make matters worse, even though I don't have alot of pimples day to day, every breakout results in a dark spot for me, so much that my chin is beginning to take on a different color!

Should I drop the AHA and Jojoba to get back to the basics?

I'd appreciate any input -

Current Products

AM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Lotion

Dan's BP (Full finger)

Alpha Hydrox 10% Lotion

Cetaphil Oil Free Moisturizer SPF15 + one drop Jojoba

PM

Dan's BP (Full finger)

Alpha Hydrox 10% Lotion

Jojoba Oil (2 drops)

hi...

personally ive never had any problems with the regiment from start to present... the one bit of advice i do have however is basically just start off with the basics (cleanse-medicate-moisturise) and stick to it for some time.

only gradually after your skin has calmed down and under control would i suggest any changes or alterations to the DKR if necessary.

thats basically what i did. i follwed the basics day in day out for months and it never failed me... Ive made some changes over time and its all worked out very well so far.

How severe is your acne in terms of number, size, inflammation, tenderness, etc?

You're only six weeks in and most people aren't clear by this point, so don't fret, I'd give it another month or two at least before you decide what to do. I think your additions to the regimen are appropriate and unlikely to be making your acne worse, but if dryness is not a problem, then you can cut out the AHA and jojoba oil for now (you might want them later, though!), and see how things go.

In answer to your question about my acne:

I would say that I have mild to moderate acne. Right now I have two medium size pustules on my cheeks(which is somewhat rare) and 5-7 blemishes in my chin/jaw area. The chin lesions are either small whiteheads that come and go or larger pustules that start out as medium sized inflammed lumps (they're red but not very painful) that eventually come to a head. On the regimen these zits generally dry out and heal in 2-3 days. My chin also has several small bumps that look like clogged pores.

The number and severity of zits don't bother me as much as the dark spots they leave behind. I look forward to the day when I don't break out as frequently so that the spots can eventually fade.

I've decided to skip the extra steps (i.e. the AHA lotion) for now and just concentrate on the basics for a few more months. In a way I'm relieved because the addition of the AHA was adding another 5-8 minutes to the routine while I was waiting for the BP to dry and before moisturizing.

Thanks for replying and I'll keep you posted...

Hi Everyone -

I've been a DKR user since 5/1/07. I started with Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Lotion, Acne on the Spot and the Cetaphil moisturizers, I use the SPF 15 one for morning. When the on-the-spot stuff ran out, I ordered Dan's BP.

After taking a month to ramp up to the full dosage, I now use a full finger of Dan's BP day and night. At the beginning of June, I added Alpha Hydrox 10% lotion as as step between the BP and moisturizer to help with exfoliation - I've also recently added Jojoba oil to my moisturizer to see if that would help. I have never had a problem with dryness or flakiness, I sometimes wonder if the BP is penetrating deeply enough.

My problem is that I don't see any lessening in the amount that I breakout. It has remained pretty constant, especially in my chin area. Every morning I wake up to either new pustules or inflammed lumps under my skin that I know will eventually form pimples. I feel like l'm thrashing a bit, not really getting anywhere.

To make matters worse, even though I don't have alot of pimples day to day, every breakout results in a dark spot for me, so much that my chin is beginning to take on a different color!

Should I drop the AHA and Jojoba to get back to the basics?

I'd appreciate any input -

Current Products

AM

Dan's BP (Full finger)

Alpha Hydrox 10% Lotion

Cetaphil Oil Free Moisturizer SPF15 + one drop Jojoba

PM

Dan's BP (Full finger)

Alpha Hydrox 10% Lotion

Jojoba Oil (2 drops)

Hi,

I think you've introduced too many new things at once.

I would recommend you get back to the very basic Regimen. Just the gentle cleanser, the bp, and a moisturizer.

Let your skin settle and use this for around 3 months before adding in other products. Hopefully your skin will have an easier time adjusting and begin to clear up.