Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, I started using Benzoyl peroxide recently. So far I like it. But i need a good moisturizer, I cant find one that doesnt have at least 1 or 2 pore clogging ingredients in it. I decided to try Dans. I decided since Im using his BP and Moisturizer when it comes out, I might as well buy the kit. But im concerned about his cleanser. Some of the ingredients bother me.

White oak bark -- "May have antibacterial properties on skin but can also be a skin irritant" Journal from American Academy of Dermatology

Sage Extract -- Can be a potent antioxidant (Source: Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry, March 2002, pages 1845–1851). However, its fragrant camphor and phenol components can also cause skin irritation (Source: Clinical Toxicology, December 1981, pages 1485–1498).

Maybe im just being crazy and getting to worried about everything, haha, but I would like to know from some users what they thought of the cleanser. Did it dry you out? Did it irritate your face? Did it calm any redness or make it worse? Did it bother your acne? Anything along those lines, just give me your feelings on it. thanks a ton.

At the concentrations those extracts are present in the cleanser, they're not irritating at all, and I can tell you this from personal experience. It really is a gentle cleanser, and you can't smell the sage extract or anything like that. I finally got around to trying this stuff out, and I've been using it for a week or so now. It's a very interesting cleanser, you pump it out, and then it lathers surprisingly quickly and easily in your palms, so you don't need to spend a lot of time trying to get it to lather while on your face, and you might find that it reduces redness. It actually has a slight smell to it, but not fragrance, just kind of a sterile chemical smell, for lack of a better description. It rinses off easily and even once all the water has evaporated off your face, your skin doesn't feel too tight or dry, unlike with other cleansers.

At the concentrations those extracts are present in the cleanser, they're not irritating at all, and I can tell you this from personal experience. It really is a gentle cleanser, and you can't smell the sage extract or anything like that. I finally got around to trying this stuff out, and I've been using it for a week or so now. It's a very interesting cleanser, you pump it out, and then it lathers surprisingly quickly and easily in your palms, so you don't need to spend a lot of time trying to get it to lather while on your face, and you might find that it reduces redness. It actually has a slight smell to it, but not fragrance, just kind of a sterile chemical smell, for lack of a better description. It rinses off easily and even once all the water has evaporated off your face, your skin doesn't feel too tight or dry, unlike with other cleansers.

I've only used it twice, but so far, it seems more soothing than irritating. My acne are usually scary and inflamed for a few hours after I shower, and they were pretty much fine yesterday. I felt nice, moisturized, and didn't peel as much as usual afterwards, too.

I've also been having hive problems, full-body hives, the last few days, so I haven't been able to shower for the last few days, either. Even the lightest touch would set my skin on fire. They were basically healed, but I was terrified that the shower plus Dan's cleanser would bring them back, because they always come back in cycles for months, set off by the slightest irritation. (I use DKR cleanser as a body wash, too.) They didn't come back yet. If there was one tiny thing my skin didn't like in that cleanser, they'd be back right now. It possibly could have soothed my skin from the shower spray, too. I tried to take a cool, plain water shower when the hives first came in and my skin completely freaked just from that.

The worst of the hives, in the past, seemed to have left some weird type of scar-thing-a-ma-jigs. Patches of my skin turn bright red when exposed to much heat or irritating chemicals. Those didn't pop up, either. The shower can be enough to trigger those, too.

So, so far, my freaked out, sensitive, acne-prone skin has deemed this cleanser quite gentle.

i duno, the first week i used it it was working great

but a few weeks later, my skin is very dry and i think the soap may be causing the irritation. im gonna switch back to steaphil one day and i'll let u know

Yea, thats the problem I always have, the cleansers dry me out too much. Im using paulas choice cleanser right now meant for nrmal to dry skin and even thats drying me out.

i really dont know if its the cleanser.. but i'm thinking the cleanser is casugine me to overdry

because in the middle of my neck it has been peeling for DAYS, severly and I never put BP in that area. I think its the soap :{

i really dont know if its the cleanser.. but i'm thinking the cleanser is casugine me to overdry

because in the middle of my neck it has been peeling for DAYS, severly and I never put BP in that area. I think its the soap :{

Actually - I think a lot of us have trouble with our neck even though we don't put BP there, I know I have in the past. I've heard the skin on your neck is very sensitive, and it seems that somehow even if you don't put BP directly on that area, it manages to irritate neck skin. I've found that if I make sure to put lots of moisturizer on my neck and don't scrub it with anything like a washcloth that it will go away after awhile once it 'gets used' to your face having the BP.